7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2008 11:46 AM by terablade2001

newbie FW question :/

terablade2001 Level 1
      Hi to all.

I am using a lot of Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver and Flash. Still in my Web Premium package there is a program called "Fireworks". I have read a few things about it, but doesn't seems that can help me in any way in my work : web page designs, as everything I need I can do it with the four above programs I told.

I am not able to understand what Fireworks offer more (and better) than the 4 above programs and their combinations. I.e.
      With Illustrator I can create edit vector graphics
      With Photoshop I can create/edit almost any kind of graphics and save them in optimal files
      With Flash I am making mostly the web-sites.
      With Dreamweaver I write any kind of code need (php, html, css) for my sites (only code mode).
      Combining all the above I can make almost anything I need.

With fireworks.. what?.. What can fireworks do for me better that the above 4 programs can't? .. I can't get it! From what I can see it just contain less advanced methods/controls of all the above. But this "less" make me feel that it's not worth use it!...

Please, give me some answers or ideas on how should I use it... I have to say I rarely use java / javascripts as I like to create full flash web-sites (all are done with Flash, php and mysql).

Thanks for your time, and sorry for that newbie general question...
        • 1. newbie FW question :/
          Level 1
          With Fireworks CS4, it is designed to created for web-based graphic images. Additionally, Fw CS4 has two neat features called vector-based and bitmapped-based.

The nice thing about Fw CS4, you are able to transfer vector-based documents from Illustrator into Fw app. Or you can transfer files or objects from Fw into Flash, vice versa.

When you work with image files specifically for web sites, you want to work with Fireworks CS4 since it does a pretty nice job to downsize the image file as opposed to Photoshop CS4 do. Not that Photoshop do a bad job in compressing the file. Photoshop is more of high-end professional quality image editing app for photographers or creative professionals or print professionals, etc.

Perhaps that you want to test drive Fw CS4 for 30-days period, and I would think it speaks for itself.

There are nice articles about Fireworks CS4 through Adobe Developer Connection articles.

Also, you might want to take a look at an article, "Introducing Adobe Fireworks CS4", here:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/rjones_fwcs4.html?devcon=f8b

Hope that helps.
          • 2. Re: newbie FW question :/
            terablade2001 Level 1
            Thanks for the answer..

Thus fireworks is just an "image processing soft" designed for images that will be used for web?...
            I think Photoshop can do my work good enough, and if needed I can use other lighter programs like inrfanview (for faster simple processing / better compression/quality)... Anyway...

Fireworks seems to be useless for me at least for now.

As for CS4, I don't have the money to buy it, even if I try it. ;P
            • 3. Re: newbie FW question :/
              Level 7
              > As for CS4, I don't have the money to buy it, even if I try it. ;P

Sort of makes your question academic then, no?

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              ==================
              http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              ==================

"terablade2001" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:geh0pc$78o$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Thanks for the answer..
              >
              > Thus fireworks is just an "image processing soft" designed for images that
              > will be used for web?...
              > I think Photoshop can do my work good enough, and if needed I can use
              > other
              > lighter programs like inrfanview (for faster simple processing / better
              > compression/quality)... Anyway...
              >
              > Fireworks seems to be useless for me at least for now.
              >
              >

• 4. Re: newbie FW question :/
                JoeDaSilva Level 4
                This article is great, and goes into good detail as to how Fireworks can help you design effective web layouts:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/fireworks/articles/why_fireworks.html
                • 5. Re: newbie FW question :/
                  terablade2001 Level 1
                  quote:

Originally posted by: Newsgroup User

Sort of makes your question academic then, no?

No. I have CS3.. It costed about 2500€ to get the whole package. Thus I would like to know what FW CS3 can offer to me. From what I read, FW CS4 is actually something to work with and not previous versions. Am I wrong?

• 6. Re: newbie FW question :/
                    Michel Bozgounov Level 2
                    Look, if you think Fireworks is not worth it... then don't try it.

I used Fireworks for years. I am using it now. I use it instead of Photoshop+Illustrator, combined. I never felt I am missing something, while using Fireworks. For the price of Photoshop + Illustrator, I can buy 6 or more copies of Fireworks. And I don't have to switch between Ai + Ps to get the job done - simply, FIreworks has all I need, in one package. I work mostly for Web, so I don't need CMYK or other advanced things Ps has to offer.

If you want to learn, what Fireworks does and how, then start reading & learning right now. If you want to keep saying 'All of the programs I have now is all what I need, why should I use Fireworks?' then probably you don't need to start using it... :-)

For me, any version of Fireworks, including CS3 and below, is a good one. CS4 is better, yes, but, actually, I think that Design Premium CS3 3.3 has Fireworks now, included, so you don't have to switch to CS4 to start using Fireworks. And if you wish to upgrade to Design Prremium CS43, I think there might be a lot more good reasons to do it... not just Fw CS4...

Hope this helps? :-)
                    • 7. Re: newbie FW question :/
                      terablade2001 Level 1
                      Yeap. I have the impression that fireworks does not worth. And it seems that there isn't any simple aspect of that, that I can utilize to produce better results. As someone said, Dreamweaver is for web-design. FireWorks is just for web graphics (a lite program).

From the time I have all the above programs, and can utilize Flash, Illustrator, Photoshop, Dreamweaver I can't find where Fireworks can be useful. People may used to create simple web-sites easily, but I stick up with my favorite Flash for that reason. :)

Thanks for your help :)