5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2009 5:12 PM by Jeff Sese

Cannot Start InDesignServerService -- Win2008

Jeff Sese
      Hi,

I installed InDesign CS4 Server Release and Debug versions on a Windows 2008 Server. However, I can't start the service of the release version, it gives me a "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" message. But I can run the server via the command line.

Also, when I try to run the debug version, via command line or via the service, I get an "The application failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail" message.

The event log gave me this details:

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS4 Server Debug\InDesignServerService.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.DebugCRT,processorArchitecture="x86",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",typ e="win32",version="8.0.50727.762" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I already installed c++ runtime libraries into the server.

Hope someone can help through this. Thanks in advance.

-- Jeff
        • 1. Re: Cannot Start InDesignServerService -- Win2008
          IanDBrown Level 2
          My guess is that this is the 'standard' CS4 - debug issue. You must have msvc 2005 sp1 installed for it to run. There have been a number of posts about this.

Ian
          • 2. Re: Cannot Start InDesignServerService -- Win2008
            Jeff Sese Level 1
            so i need the full msvc not just the runtime libraries... i'll try that.
            • 3. Re: Cannot Start InDesignServerService -- Win2008
              Jeff Sese Level 1
              Ok... I managed to run the server both debug and release via command line. The second error mentioned above went away after installing Visual C 2005 sp 1.

However, if I start the either server, debug or release, via the services window, I always get a "Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion" message. I tried modifying the timeout as mention in here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922918/en-us upto 90000 milliseconds, but still I get timeouts.

But if I make the service to automatically start at boot... it is successful but not a workable solution cause I can't manually start or restart the service.

Anybody experiencing the same thing? I'm on a WIndows 2008 Server.
              • 4. Re: Cannot Start InDesignServerService -- Win2008
                Is this an issue of not going able to run BOTH debug and release services at the same time. Or it doesn't matter. You just mean that you couldn't manually start the service on either debug or release?

if it's the latter, please make sure you have .NET 2.0 framework or later installed. You'll need that to make IDS as service. You mentioned that the service can automatically start at boot. If you don't have .NET 2.0 framework, I think it will show as if it started, but not really.

Let us know if this helps.
                • 5. Re: Cannot Start InDesignServerService -- Win2008
                  Jeff Sese Level 1
                  Hi,

No, I can both run debug and release at the same time, but this is only if I set the service to run automatically upon boot up. But if I want to restart or manually stop and start the server, then I get the error message posted earlier. Increasing the timeout does not help as I still get the same error.

Yes I do have .NET 3.0 installed via the adding it as a feature of the 2008 server. An the service is working properly cause I can send SOAP messages through it from a separate client. Its only when I restart or manually start the service that it causes the problem.

-- Jeff