18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2013 5:46 PM by Steve Werner RSS

Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options

Community Member
      Hi,

I am using ID CS3. I have created an interactive presentation in InDesign. I am trying to specify a URL to link a video to our web server using the Movie Options dialog box. I keep getting an error message of either "Download failed because URL could not be verified" or "Download failed due to a QuickTime error". I have checked and re-checked the URL... it is correct. The movie will play if I type the path into a browser. The file I am trying to link to is a .mov file. Could that be the problem? I don't know what else to try.

My end goal is to upload my InDesign Presentation file as a PDF file to the web and have a movie play from within it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
      Cathy
        • 1. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
          P Spier CommunityMVP
          >I am trying to link to is a .mov file. Could that be the problem?

Yes.
          From the help files:
          >You can add QuickTime, AVI, MPEG, and SWF movies
          • 2. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
            Community Member
            Not that I know anything about movies, but aren't .mov files Quicktime
            files?

--
            Kenneth Benson
            Pegasus Type, Inc.
            www.pegtype.com
            • 3. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
              P Spier CommunityMVP
              You're right, but I seem to recall having had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. Hmmm...
              • 4. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                Community Member
                Yes, quicktime is .mov, that is why I don't understand why it's not working... it works locally when linked to my computer, but not when I upload and post to our online server.
                It can't seem to locate the URL.

I tried directly linking it in Acrobat as well using it's movie tool, but that gave me errors too. I've tried different files thinking that it may be the file, but I can't get any .mov's to work.
                • 5. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                  P Spier CommunityMVP
                  Are you linking to the server location in the ID document? I know there are path issues. You need to have the movie on the server first, then link to that.

Peter
                  • 6. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                    Community Member
                    Cathy, the error "Download failed because URL could not be verified"
                    sounds like a problem with Quicktime. I know nothing about Quicktime,
                    but it sounds like Acrobat is accessing the movie but QT won't play it
                    (or download it completely).

If I were you I would want to verify this by trying two things:

1) Try inserting the link to the QT file directly in Acrobat.

2) Try inserting a link to a different movie player, maybe an .mpg.

If the QT link made directly in Acrobat works, then the problem is with
                    making the link in Indesign. If the .mpg link made in Indesign works,
                    then the problem is with Quicktime and you'd need to find a Quicktime
                    forum and ask about this error there.

--
                    Kenneth Benson
                    Pegasus Type, Inc.
                    www.pegtype.com
                    • 7. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                      Community Member
                      > 2) Try inserting a link to a different movie player, maybe an .mpg.

BTW, I'm assuming you have your system set up to use Windows Media
                      Player to play mpegs. The idea here is that if you suspect Quicktime as
                      being the problem, try a different player. Then when you know QT is the
                      problem you can focus on QT.

--
                      Kenneth Benson
                      Pegasus Type, Inc.
                      www.pegtype.com
                      • 8. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                        Community Member
                        Hi,

Yes, the files are uploaded to the server first before I tried to link them in InDesign.

I think it "may" be a Quicktime issue. I uninstalled and reinstalled the lastest Quicktime version hoping that would solve the problem, but no luck.

Results so far:

InDesign:
                        .mpg failed due to Quicktime error
                        .avi placed and linked fine, but wouldn't show in Acrobat... could only hear the sound.
                        .mov same error as before "Download failed because URL could not be verified

Acrobat:
                        .mpg and .avi both insert and link, but no image... just sound plays.
                        .mov gives same error as before "Cannot create the movie annotation because the movie could not be loaded. This can occur if the file cannot be found or the URL is unreachable (make sure proxy server settings are correct).
                        I don't know what a proxy server is, but I don't think we use one here...

Troubleshooting goes on...
                        • 9. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                          Community Member
                          > InDesign: .mpg failed due to Quicktime error

That's because you have Quicktime configured to open mpegs. For test
                          purposes, this is really no different than linking to the .mov file.

> .avi placed and linked fine, but wouldn't show in Acrobat... could only hear the sound.

But the sound played through Windows Media Player, right? Try the .avi
                          locally, without any linking. This symptom (sound but no picture) only
                          means you don't have the proper video codec installed. Install the right
                          codec and you'll get picture along with sound. This says to me that the
                          problem is with Quicktime.

Note that I'm not suggesting there's something wrong with your QT
                          installation, only that QT is blocking playback or download for some
                          reason, probably because some kinds of video files can carry a virus
                          payload. I don't even have QT installed here. Does it have some kind of
                          blocking mechanism in preferences? Can you "allow" it to access remote
                          files?

--
                          Kenneth Benson
                          Pegasus Type, Inc.
                          www.pegtype.com
                          • 10. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                            Community Member
                            Hi Kenneth,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes the video plays fine in WMP, Real Player and Quicktime, just not in Acrobat.
                            Not sure what a video codec is or where to locate the right one.

I just discovered also that upon placing a .swf file in InDesign I get the same error message of "failed due to Quicktime error". So, I will have to look into it being on the QT side.

I appreciate your help.

Cathy
                            • 11. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                              Community Member
                              The .avi plays with video in WMP? Or the .mov plays in WMP?

None of these are playing *in* Acrobat. They're playing *through*
                              Acrobat. The difference is important. Acrobat's job is to simply pass on
                              the request to the media player. It looks like it's doing that, but the
                              media player (Quicktime) is not allowing playback.

What makes this really difficult is that (I think) you want to make this
                              work for anyone's machine, but media players are definitely not
                              universal. For instance, I don't have Quicktime. If I opened your
                              Acrobat file and clicked on the .mov link, Windows Media Player would
                              try to play it.

A codec is a COmpressor DECompressor, a little piece of a program that
                              you must have installed on your computer to allow that particular type
                              of video or audio to play. Audio Video Interleave (.avi) files can be
                              created using any number of hundreds of different codecs. Your .avi
                              plays sound only because you have the right audio codec but not the
                              right video codec. Usually WMP makes a big show of trying to find the
                              codec when it doesn't have it installed.

--
                              Kenneth Benson
                              Pegasus Type, Inc.
                              www.pegtype.com
                              • 12. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                                P Spier CommunityMVP
                                Kathy,

I remember some discussion on the Mac side regarding problems with QuickTime and PDFs, though I think it was related to Safari. Try downgrading your QuickTime installation to 7.0 or 7.1 and see if that makes a difference.

Peter
                                • 13. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                                  Community Member
                                  Thanks for everyone's help and response on this... I am better understanding everything now.

I've never had to do this before, so thank you for all for your patience.

What would be the best method to make sure that everyone that opens the PDF can view the movie... should I make the .mov file a .swf file thru Flash, then link the video to a .swf file instead?
                                  • 14. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                                    Community Member
                                    > What would be the best method to make sure that everyone that opens the PDF can view the movie...

I'm not sure if there is a best method. Viewing a .swf means you have to
                                    have Flash installed. On the other hand, there is only one kind of .swf
                                    file, and no real codec options, and anyone who has watched YouTube has
                                    Flash installed (I think that's the way it works).

For that matter, viewing any video means you have to have some sort of
                                    media player installed, and the three big ones (Windows Media Player,
                                    Quicktime, and Realplayer) all have the annoying habit of associating
                                    themselves with every extension when you install them, so whether your
                                    .mov is going to be opened by WMP or QT depends on the order in which
                                    you installed them. You can have a file with a .mov extension that opens
                                    and plays just fine with Windows Media Player, but since you installed
                                    Quicktime, Quicktime (which won't play the .mov file) now owns the .mov
                                    extension and so QT loads and fails when you click on the .mov hyperlink.

I think I would go with Flash, just because you're going to get fewer
                                    people telling you they can't view the video.

--
                                    Kenneth Benson
                                    Pegasus Type, Inc.
                                    www.pegtype.com
                                    • 15. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                                      Don - TFE, Inc Community Member
                                      Any luck in fixing this issue Cathy?
                                      I have the same problem...
                                      I originally had a QT MOV file embedded in my newsletter and wanted to decrease download size so I figured I would link to it on my server, but I get the "Download Failed because URL could not be Verified" message.
                                      I get this message in both CS3 & CS4 ID. I have verified the link in the browser and the QT MOV file plays fine if I embed it.
                                      Any idea why it won't work?

TIA,
                                      Don
                                      • 16. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                                        CombatSportsInternational Community Member

I am also having the same problem.  Any ideas?

• 17. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                                          hunterstudio123 Community Member

I am also having this problem... Any solutions? I've wasted 10 hours of a project on just this!!!

• 18. Re: Problem with Specifying a URL in Movie Options
                                            Steve Werner CommunityMVP

The problem is probably that either file isn't encoded correctly, and the server isn't set up correctly.

Here is a portion from an article I wrote for InDesign Magazine. This portion was drawn from the InDesign Help file. Notice that a QuickTime .mov file is NOT supported for streaming in InDesign CS5/5.5/6.

Streaming video files reside on a Web server or on a Flash Media Server or Flash Streaming Service. Streaming video files must be in a Flash video format or H.264-encoded. To set up your document for streaming video, start by creating an empty frame or select a video you want to replace. Choose Video from URL from the Media panel menu. Specify the URL and click OK. Note that the URL must point to a file that ends in the appropriate file extension; for example, http://www.fakeURL.com/videos/Intro_Video.f4v for a file on a web server. Use rtmp:// in the URL for a video on the Flash

Media Server or Flash Streaming Service.