16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2015 11:10 AM by kaiyoma

Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling

jbng:-)
      Hi guys

I've had this problem with ID CS2, CS3 and now CS4. My synaptics touchpad on my laptop will not scroll Indesign pages using the 'virtual scrolling' feature (where you swipe your finger down the right edge of the touchpad). The Alps touchpad on my old computer worked fine, and the synaptics touchpad works great in every other application.
      Synaptics and Indesign just don't seem to play nicely.
      Is ANYONE out there using Indesign on a laptop with a synaptics touchpad? Does virtual scrolling work for you or not?
      Thanks guys
      jbng :-)
        • 1. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)
          Haven't got CS4 on the laptop yet, and most of the time when I'm doing serious work I use a mouse, but there are certainly occasions when I use the touchpad, and I don't remember not being able to scroll.

Well, I guess this is an example of what being over 50 does to the mind. I just fired up the laptop, and it isn't scrolling in ID 5 with the touchpad, so it isn't just you.

Peter
          • 2. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
            jbng:-) Level 1
            Thanks Peter

Can you confirm for me the brand of your computer, and also that it has a Synaptics (not Alps) touchpad?

In all my vain searchings to get scrolling working, I actually discovered a modified touchpad driver that allows you to attach key macros to two- and three-finger swipes. So now to zoom in and out I just swipe diagonally with two fingers, to switch between preview and guides I swipe diagonally in the other direction, and to fit in window I swipe three fingers up. If you add a registry entry you can assign a 'both button click' - which I use to select the pointer tool.

Combining it with autohotkey allows me to shift-swipe diagonally for send to back/bring to front and other cool things. It's really helpful because your hands have to leave the mouse much less often.

In fact the touchpad gestures were so helpful that I missed them going back to my desktop. So I found a program called 'strokeit' which allows you to draw a shape on the screen with the right mouse button down and assign actions to it. I mimicked the ones on my touchpad - including clicking the middle button to get the pointer.

I also doctored the hotkeys in Coreldraw and Flash so that they function the same way.

It changed *my* life, anyway - but the fact of the matter is that Indesign still won't scroll... ;-)
            • 3. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)
              I've got a Toshiba Satellite with the Synaptics touchpad.

I much prefer my Logitech cordless mouse with it. :)
              • 4. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                Thanks again Peter

I guess I better stop hassling Dell and start hassling Adobe then!

:-)
                • 5. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                  peter minneapolis Level 4
                  It works on my HP pavilion laptop with Synaptics pad. Perhaps you need to update the Synaptics driver. Synaptics' site and tech support may be helpful.

EDIT: Ooops! I was thinking about CS3 on my Mac. In Windows CS3 and CS4 virtual scrolling doesn't work for me either, but scroll-wheel + Alt/Ctrl zooms/pans.

HTH

Regards,

Peter Gold
                  KnowHow ProServices
                  • 6. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                    Thanks Peter

Synaptics tend to palm their driver development off to the individual vendors - so they're not usually much help.

But that's a 100% failure rate so far on 2 x Dell, Toshiba and HP laptops with synaptics touchpads.

I've filed a case with Adobe and I guess we'll see what they say. The first time they blamed the driver too - but that was when I suspected it was a hardware issue.

Appreciate the 'input' chaps
                    jbng :-)

PS. Am I the only one who uses a touchpad with Indesign on a windows laptop? I can't believe this issue has been around since at least CS2 and no-one's ever complained...
                    • 7. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                      Add Lenovo X300 using either USB mouse or Alps touchpad. Scrolling does not work with InDesign CS2 (or Illustrator CS2). Instead of the text and graphics scrolling within the active window, the active window scrolls into oblivion. Window>Cascade or Window>Tile brings the active window back, but that is just too annoying. The reason that you don't hear complaints is that bugs like this are so basic, that most people go right back to MS Word and don't bother with InDesign. I can work around the million bugs in MS Word, but I can't work with a program where the window goes blank if I try to scroll it.
                      Bill
                      • 8. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                        TheOriginalPol

Slightly old thread, I know, but go ahead and count me in... I've got me a Gateway P-7805u FX w/ Illustrator CS4 (and yes, I use the trackpad!!)  It's also a Synaptics, and despite the fact that I'm pretty sure I've got the latest drivers, I'm having the same problem.  No virtual scrolling, and whenever I try it, it gives me error dings (LOTS of them, as if there were one for every pixel that I tried to scroll down for).  Tried messing w/ the control panel settings but no luck.

Also, it may be noted that it works fine in Photoshop, Flash, Audition, Premeire, etc.  Illustrator is the only one -- and i don't use InDesign so I wouldn't know about that one.

Anybody come up with a solution since then?

• 9. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                          TheOriginalPol Level 1

Oooh, what's interesting though is that on my old laptop, a Compaq F557US, which also had a nearly identical synaptics touchpad, Ai CS4 worked fine!  Hmmm...

• 10. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                            aceman33

Dremwaever CS4 boots me everytime i use the touch pad during "liveview"  on my gateway M-6878.  Every single time I use it it shuts the program down.  Annoying.  Thought I was the only one.  A fix would be nice

• 11. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                              climbbike1@comcast.net Level 1

I had this problem in Lightroom and finally found a solution. It fixed my scrolling issues in a couple other programs too so maybe it will help with Photoshop as well . .

I've been searching everywhere for a solution and FINALLY found one so I  thought I would share for those of you still having this problem. For  me, I have the Synaptics touchpad driver which is very common; so most  laptop users probably do as well. The problem is with the actually  little graphic that pops up that shows the "scrolling" graphic. For some  reason, certain programs don't play well with the Synaptics drivers  when they pop up that little graphic and therefor they do not scroll  (pretty ironic, isn't it).

To turn off this graphic (and fix scrolling) do this:

Edit the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh]
                              "UseScrollCursor"=dword:00000000

Just add this to registry. Either copy-paste the above text into Notepad, save it as a

.reg file and run it, or manually add it using RegEdit (on my system, this   value didn't exist, so I had to create it manually). Afterwards,  restart  SynTPEnh.exe and SynTPHelper.exe (use TaskManager to kill them,  then  restart them from the Synaptics installation folder, which is  usualy

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP). Or simply restart your system.

Problem  solved and even better it gets rid of the annoying graphic that pops up  every time you scroll. Every time Synaptics comes out with a new  driver, they add even more annoying crap like this that ends up breaking  stuff. Just make my touchpad work please!! Leave out all the crap. I  noticed in the latest update, they pop up annoying videos of how to use  your touchpad that pop up all the time. Talk about annoying . . .

• 12. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                                kevingoris

that wont work, its like if the synaptics touchpad wont let the alt or alt+ any other key, work while virtual scroll. I found a program that has a compatible mode for those app, i havent tried yet but it supose to let the alt key work while scrolling.

http://code.google.com/p/two-finger-scroll/

The program its called, Two Finger Scroll...

Hope it works.

• 13. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                                  ***doG***

Thanks climbbike1, it worked for me! (Samsung 900x3a with newest Synaptics driver)

• 14. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                                    jgrzadka

I know this is an old thread but I still have the same problem in 2014.  I have win 8.1 on a t430s with the latest DriverVer=07/25/2014, 16.2.19.14 and this did not fix the problem. I restarted my computer after the reg edit but the icon still appears.

• 15. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                                      rkelly0137 Level 4

climbbike1@comcast.net wrote:

I had this problem in Lightroom and finally found a solution. It fixed my scrolling issues in a couple other programs too so maybe it will help with Photoshop as well . .

I've been searching everywhere for a solution and FINALLY found one so I  thought I would share for those of you still having this problem. For  me, I have the Synaptics touchpad driver which is very common; so most  laptop users probably do as well. The problem is with the actually  little graphic that pops up that shows the "scrolling" graphic. For some  reason, certain programs don't play well with the Synaptics drivers  when they pop up that little graphic and therefor they do not scroll  (pretty ironic, isn't it).

To turn off this graphic (and fix scrolling) do this:

Edit the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Synaptics\SynTPEnh]
                                      "UseScrollCursor"=dword:00000000

Just add this to registry. Either copy-paste the above text into Notepad, save it as a

.reg file and run it, or manually add it using RegEdit (on my system, this   value didn't exist, so I had to create it manually). Afterwards,  restart  SynTPEnh.exe and SynTPHelper.exe (use TaskManager to kill them,  then  restart them from the Synaptics installation folder, which is  usualy

C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP). Or simply restart your system.

Problem  solved and even better it gets rid of the annoying graphic that pops up  every time you scroll. Every time Synaptics comes out with a new  driver, they add even more annoying crap like this that ends up breaking  stuff. Just make my touchpad work please!! Leave out all the crap. I  noticed in the latest update, they pop up annoying videos of how to use  your touchpad that pop up all the time. Talk about annoying . . .

I know it's an old thread, but this was such a brilliant, simple fix I wanted to bump it and say thanks.  My Lenovo is functional again in LR/PS.  I haven't fully vetted it yet, but so far it scrolls with no issue.   Not sure why this isn't more well known, I had to dig around a lot to find it.  Perhaps because it doesn't work for everyone, though I'm not sure why that'd be.  Took me 5 mins (and that's because I didn't know how to make my own reg files., and it worked first time.  Lenovo T450s, Windows 8.1, LR/PS CC.

• 16. Re: Indesign synaptics touchpad scrolling
                                        kaiyoma Level 1

OMG, thank you so much for this post!!! I noticed the weird scrolling issue in Lightroom 6 with my Lenovo X1 Carbon and was settling in to multiple hours of forum research to find a solution when I stumbled upon your post almost immediately. Problem fixed within two minutes. So awesome! Thank you for the great instructions too.