4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 5, 2008 9:11 AM by michmoore

Best way to create left nav menu that updates?

michmoore
      Hi,
      I have a website that's been up and running for 1 year now. I want to add lots of content to it and am cringing at the idea of having to update the left nav bar menu on every page of my site with the new pages I create.

What's the best/easiest way to make a central menu that will update on each page of my website? I can not change my website extension to .php or other (my friend showed me how to do a php "include"), but my site needs to stay as a. html because of my current back links. I would also like my menu page links to be SEO - something that the spiders can find for backlinking/SEO. I'm thinking it may need to be some type of template, but am unsure if this is best or where to start.

Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Thanks,
      Michelle
        • 1. Best way to create left nav menu that updates?
          Janell1
          Hi,
          This may be what you are looking for, I hope. (Don't forget to backup your original site first)

Highlight your menu as it is on one of your html pages, and go up to Modify>Library>Add Object to Library then name it what you want-let's call it "newmenu". You now have your old menu as an Asset in your Library. If you double click "newmenu" in the assets library, you can change it through simple lists, and it will rearrange itself as you have originally designed using your Spry CSS. What a huge amount of work that saves, because when you update it, and click save, it brings up a dialog box, and saves to all the pages that uses that Asset!

Now, to get it back on your HTML page. . . you will need to go to every page, strip out the old menu, put your cursor where you want the new menu to go, and go over to the Assets Area, click "newmenu" and then click Insert at the bottom of the library. This is just the same way you add any new asset to a page (if this is confusing, look up "adding assets" in the help section). However, I am on this site because it seems that IE is reading the menu backwards, while Firefox has it right, so on my horizontal menubar, it is inverted in IE. So when I find out why, I'll let you know.
          Cheers,
          Janell
          • 2. Re: Best way to create left nav menu that updates?
            Level 7
            Hello,

If you can't use includes, a template is your only other option I believe.
            You might try find and replace, if every menu is identical and being change
            to the same new menu, but make a backup copy of the site first.
            Even with a template you're still going to be updating every page as you'll
            need to create all of the pages based on the new template..
            The template will just save you from having to do it again next time.
            Dreamweaver Help > Search for Template.

Take care,
            Tim

"mlmoore" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:geq4kp$peb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi,
            > I have a website that's been up and running for 1 year now. I want to add
            > lots of content to it and am cringing at the idea of having to update the
            > left
            > nav bar menu on every page of my site with the new pages I create.
            >
            > What's the best/easiest way to make a central menu that will update on
            > each
            > page of my website? I can not change my website extension to .php or
            > other (my
            > friend showed me how to do a php "include"), but my site needs to stay as
            > a.
            > html because of my current back links. I would also like my menu page
            > links to
            > be SEO - something that the spiders can find for backlinking/SEO. I'm
            > thinking
            > it may need to be some type of template, but am unsure if this is best or
            > where
            > to start.
            >
            > Any advice you could offer would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            > Thanks,
            > Michelle
            >

• 3. Re: Best way to create left nav menu that updates?
              malcster2 Level 1
              templates is the obvious choice
              • 4. Re: Best way to create left nav menu that updates?
                michmoore Level 1
                Thanks everyone for your reply - sounds like templates are the answer!