6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2008 8:04 PM by SiamJai

FW CS3- Tween Two JPEG images

webgyrl1
      Hello,

I am trying to create an animation whereby I tween one image to another, essentially to morph the image. The image series I am working with is the front and back of a person wearing a T-Shirt.

I would like the opacity to change so that the top image basically fades to 0% and then the second image shows at 100% and then that fades to 0% back to 100% of the front image and then that loops.

This used to be so simple in ImageReady... but for the life of me I can't figure to do it in FW. I have converted each image to a Symbol and then I go into the first Frame in the Layer and select the two images and try to Tween them.
      Symbol > Tween Instances
      I get a message stating:
      Before using the Tween command, select two or more instances of the same Library symbol.

So in essence it only allows me to tween the SAME instance? Meaning only the front to the front?

How can I make it so that I can tween two separate things?

Or is there another way to tackle this w/o doing frame by frame?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: FW CS3- Tween Two JPEG images
          Level 7
          webgyrl1 wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I am trying to create an animation whereby I tween one image to another,
          > essentially to morph the image. The image series I am working with is the front
          > and back of a person wearing a T-Shirt.
          >
          > I would like the opacity to change so that the top image basically fades to 0%
          > and then the second image shows at 100% and then that fades to 0% back to 100%
          > of the front image and then that loops.

To do what you want, you'll need to create symbols from both images, and
          then fade each of them out individually. Start fading the second one out
          a frame or two before the first one fades completely.

--
          Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
          --------------------------------------------------------------
          • 2. Re: FW CS3- Tween Two JPEG images
            Level 7
            That should be a frame or two after the first one fades completely.

--
            Linda Rathgeber - Adobe Community Expert
            http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/members/8.html
            --------------------------------------------------------------
            • 3. FW CS3- Tween Two JPEG images
              SiamJai Level 2
              quote:

Originally posted by: webgyrl1
              Hello,

I am trying to create an animation whereby I tween one image to another, essentially to morph the image. The image series I am working with is the front and back of a person wearing a T-Shirt.

I would like the opacity to change so that the top image basically fades to 0% and then the second image shows at 100% and then that fades to 0% back to 100% of the front image and then that loops.

This used to be so simple in ImageReady... but for the life of me I can't figure to do it in FW. I have converted each image to a Symbol and then I go into the first Frame in the Layer and select the two images and try to Tween them.
              Symbol > Tween Instances
              I get a message stating:
              Before using the Tween command, select two or more instances of the same Library symbol.

Tweening wasn't meant to be used that way. When you convert each image to a symbol, they are two different symbols, so it won't work.

Instead, you could use the opacity change in animated symbols. Press F8 and select "Animation", then in the pop-up window that follows, adjust the opacity setting from 100 to 0.

Do this with both images and pair them up. Have the first one change the opacity from 100 to 0 through, say, 10 frames. Then set the opacity change of the second one from 0 to 100 during the same interval. (Use different layers to keep track of them.)

Copy both symbols from the first frame and jump to the last frame. The layers should be empty. Paste the symbols and reverse their opacity settings. This should produce a seamless loop of one image fading into another and back, through 20 frames.

If you prefer a more visual approach, you can check out the detailed tutorial I wrote about the technique. :-)

(Edit: sorry, Linda: I haven't seen your answer... )

SiamJai
              ~~~~
              http://design.thaiwonders.com - Innovative Fireworks Tutorials
              • 4. Re: FW CS3- Tween Two JPEG images
                webgyrl1 Level 1
                Thanks Linda and Siam! I will work on this over the weekend. I really want to learn how FW animation works!

Siam... do you have a video tutorial of this process, or would you be willing to do one and put it on YouTube?

I will check out that tutorial.

Thanks to you both... I'll let you know how I get along!
                • 5. Re: FW CS3- Tween Two JPEG images
                  webgyrl1 Level 1
                  Hey Siam! I used your tutorial and that worked perfectly! I hope you do some more!
                  • 6. FW CS3- Tween Two JPEG images
                    SiamJai Level 2
                    quote:

Originally posted by: webgyrl1
                    Hey Siam! I used your tutorial and that worked perfectly! I hope you do some more!

I'm glad it worked out for you. :-)

I'll definitely write more Fireworks animation tutorials, since I think this area is not covered enough. It's helpful to get good, interesting questions like yours, because they give me ideas about what to cover.

As for the video you asked me earlier: I thought about making video tutorials before, but I'm still looking for the right software. When I find one, there will be Fireworks videos both on my site and on YouTube.

Keep on fireworking! ^_^

SiamJai
                    ~~~~
                    http://design.thaiwonders.com - Innovative Fireworks Tutorials