[This might sound similar to postingings for CFDOCUMENT, but
I have servers that were originally installed with the trial
edition of CF8 and
then changed to standard edition by entering our valid
license numbers within the
30 day period. That all worked fine, and the edition changed
from Enterprise to
At the time we hadn't been doing much with CFCHART, although
we did have one page
in production with a CFCHART on it. We've recently started
doing development of
more charting pages, using both the CFCHART tag directly as
well as using
calls via Java to the underlying engine so that we can get
the more advanced
All of the charts are coming out with the "Adobe ColdFusion 8
Developer Edition Not
for Production Use" watermark on them. Note that this is not
ColdFusion8\lib\watermark.png file because that image's
content says "Adobe
ColdFusion Developer/Trial Edition Not for Production Use".
So this is being
triggered from somewhere else. The first question is "where
& why?" but the more
important second question is "how do I fix this?"
I did a clean install where I entered the SN on the
installation screen (instead
of letting it start out as a Trial Edition) on a PC that has
never had CF on it,
ran my CFCHART script, and it DID NOT have the watermark.
Here's more info: On that PC that I did the fresh install of
CF8, I was able to
run my script with "standard" CFCHARTs in it just fine. As
soon as I ran the
FIRST script that did calls to the java objects to create
charts, the watermark began showing up not only on those
charts, but also on all
charts that are generated from the "standard" CFCHART tags.
Webcharts engine thinks that I have violated the license, and
is somehow tracking
that fact across restarts, reboots, etc. I reinstalled CF on
that test PC, and the watermark went away, but
reinstalling on the production servers is a lot more hassle.
I ran a directory/file compare utility (ADCS) against the
clean test PC and one of the unclean servers, for the entire
ColdFusion8 directory tree, but nothing jumped out.
I've searched through the Registry, cannot find any tracks
there. Cannot find
any files with new dates on them.
This is getting to be a hassle, because I have pages that
clients see on the
server where I first noticed this problem, and don't want
them thinking that I'm
running bootleg software!