2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2008 3:24 PM by Gregory Lafrance

starting work on a new project

pranav_m
      Hi all,

I am creating my first desktop application in flex and Air which will display search results using a SOAP web service provided on my company's portal. Although i have gone through a flex book(Learning Flex 3) i need some advice on how to start off with the project.
      should i first work out how the application will work with the Soap web service, or should i design the GUI first?
      Or should i start off with something else? what do you suggest that would make the development process faster?

Thanks,
      Pranav Modi

• 1. Re: starting work on a new project
          Cesare Rocchi Level 2
          It might be a personal opinion, But i'd prefer to know in advance (and clearly) how data are returned from the server, which format (xml, json), which structure, etc. This way it is a lot easier to design the model and the view of your application.
          • 2. starting work on a new project
            Gregory Lafrance Level 6
            Sometimes it is good to create a quick design spec document, but don't spend too much time on it.

What I mean, is create a document where you first state in a single, concise sentence, the purpose of the application, including whatever is necessary in the sentence, but just one senetnce.

Then summarize the important aspects or features the app will have. This will include the source and format of the data, what types of UI controls the data will "probably" be rendered in (DataGrid, List, Tile, ComboBox, etc.).

Also describe how the user will navigate about the app. Will you be using a ViewStack, TabNavigator, Accordion, or states?

What events will likely be handled in the application by the various components and controls?

How will be app be architected, MVC or some other design pattern?

After you create this document, you will have a better idea of how to proceed, and as this document is being created you will undoubtedly revise some of the prior sections as you clarify your intentions and directions.

Once again, don't spend a month on this, but whatever time is necessary to achieve the degree of clarity you feel you need to proceed.