2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2008 8:41 AM by Newsgroup_User

Make a CSS box ...

George Tasick
      OK, I’m trying to build a CSS based page strictly from the design view.

I understand that CSS layouts are based off of boxes within boxes and that each box has a set of parameters that determine the dimensions, location, contents and just about every other attribute of that box.

So my question is ... How do I simply create a CSS box?

Logically I should be able to click a single button ... the "Make CSS Box" button ... and then the properties for that CSS box should show up in the inspector.

Following that same logic, I should be able to create another CSS box inside the first one by placing my cursor in the first box and clicking the "Make CSS Box" button.

From there I would logically build up my page by repeatedly nesting boxes within boxes using the "Make CSS Box" button and then adjusting each boxes attributes in the inspector.

So my question is ... Where is the "Make CSS Box" button?

Thanks.
        • 1. Re: Make a CSS box ...
          Level 7
          George Tasick wrote:
          > OK, I?m trying to build a CSS based page strictly from the design view.
          >
          > I understand that CSS layouts are based off of boxes within boxes and that
          > each box has a set of parameters that determine the dimensions, location,
          > contents and just about every other attribute of that box.
          >
          > So my question is ... How do I simply create a CSS box?
          >
          > Logically I should be able to click a single button ... the "Make CSS Box"
          > button ... and then the properties for that CSS box should show up in the
          > inspector.
          >
          > Following that same logic, I should be able to create another CSS box inside
          > the first one by placing my cursor in the first box and clicking the "Make CSS
          > Box" button.
          >
          > From there I would logically build up my page by repeatedly nesting boxes
          > within boxes using the "Make CSS Box" button and then adjusting each boxes
          > attributes in the inspector.
          >
          > So my question is ... Where is the "Make CSS Box" button?

They are called DIV's, but you are going to have a hard time (and
          constantly get told to learn CSS & HTML) by not being brave and looking
          at the code.

Dooza

--
          Posting Guidelines
          http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/guidelines.html
          How To Ask Smart Questions
          http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
          • 2. Re: Make a CSS box ...
            Level 7
            George

The reality is that you can create a site in DW in design view, in fact that
            is one of the allures of the program, it can satisfy both the novice in
            Design View and the Code Warrier in Code View. And best of all, it has a
            split view so the novice can come over to the dark side and learn code.

For your "Css Box", you have two choices, a Table or a Div Tag. Tables are
            easier at first but lack the finesse of the div tags later on. To insert a
            Div Tag , go up to Insert/Layout Objects/Div Tag. A dialog box will pop up.
            For your first div, leave the first box alone (insert at point). Give the
            div a name then Click the button that says New Css.

The Css dialog box will pop up and you can start to format (or in your case
            investigate) the css rules. Now the real fun begins with your second and
            third div tags because they dont play nice unless you know Css a little
            better.

While you can do it, it is much better to get to know the code, it begins to
            make more sense, and then you would be able to get help from people far and
            away better than I to give you a helping hand here.Another thing is that
            most of the people here that can really help you might take a tad bit of
            offense to your calling their favorite child the pesky code.

hth

gary

"George Tasick" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:ge9rst$7co$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > OK, I?m trying to build a CSS based page strictly from the design view.
            >
            > I understand that CSS layouts are based off of boxes within boxes and that
            > each box has a set of parameters that determine the dimensions, location,
            > contents and just about every other attribute of that box.
            >
            > So my question is ... How do I simply create a CSS box?
            >
            > Logically I should be able to click a single button ... the "Make CSS Box"
            > button ... and then the properties for that CSS box should show up in the
            > inspector.
            >
            > Following that same logic, I should be able to create another CSS box
            > inside
            > the first one by placing my cursor in the first box and clicking the "Make
            > CSS
            > Box" button.
            >
            > From there I would logically build up my page by repeatedly nesting boxes
            > within boxes using the "Make CSS Box" button and then adjusting each boxes
            > attributes in the inspector.
            >
            > So my question is ... Where is the "Make CSS Box" button?
            >
            > Thanks.
            >