2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 10, 2008 4:15 AM by Ken Grace RSS

InDesign lock files, read only permissions...

I've had this strange problem for over a year now, unsure as to why it was happening. Now I've realized what the problem is, but I don't know how to fix it.

We build ads in InDesign. Production, who builds the ads, has basically full control to the ads network drive. Sales, on the other hand, has only read access. They want to print ads out on occasion, but I don't want them to be able to screw the ad up by mistake (they know just enough to get the ad to print).

Here's the problem...

Someone one sales opens an ad. Well, they don't have create or write permissions (Win 2003 server, XP workstations). So the InDesign lock file is never created. But they do obtain a read lock on the file on a Windows/OS level.

So what happens is, the production staff opens the ad while the sales person opens the ad. There's no lock file, so the production person isn't warned that the file is open. But because there's an OS lock on the ad, the ad opens for the production staff, but it opens as read only.

My first problem is that I don't know how to fix this without giving our sales people full access, which I cannot do. The second problem is that any app that happens to access those files (shadow copy perhaps???) will cause the same headache for the production staff, as there is contention to the file.

So I'm in a catch-22 here. I'm wondering if any of you have been in the same boat and know if there is a work around.

We're using InDesign 3 (CS) on XP.