2 Replies Latest reply on May 1, 2008 11:57 PM by try67

1 copy of AE on 2 computers on a network

Where I work, we have three Macs on a network. We are buying two copies of After Effects (can't afford three). We want to put a copy on each one.

I know that you if have a laptop and desktop you put one copy on both as long as you use don't use them at the same time. Does this apply to two workstations on a network as well?

We are not trying to get away with anything, but I am curious as to how After Effects detects the same copy is being used twice.

Do we have to deactivate one puter if we want to use AE on the other one, or will an error message pop up and simply say the program is already in use?
        • 1. Re: 1 copy of AE on 2 computers on a network
          Level 1
          Hi Chad,

The business rules don't change - you are allowed to install and run one copy of an Adobe product on two machines. However, there is a finite amount of times where you can deactivate your license. This is done to discourage "floating" the license between your machines.

However, in your case, since you are buying two copies of After Effects, you can essentially install and run on four machines (two per unique serial number). So in your case you are fine and complying with the EULA set forth by Adobe.

Thanks for your concern regarding license compliancy!

Best,

-Marcel
          • 2. Re: 1 copy of AE on 2 computers on a network
            try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional
            >> I am curious as to how After Effects detects the same copy is being used twice.

It doesn't. It's just a "legal" restriction. Basically you can use the application on two computers at the same time without any problems.