2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 12:57 PM by AndyNils

Acrobat 8 and Dual-Boot computer

Scenario: I have my home computer set up to dual-boot both Windows XP and Windows Vista. I have purchased the full version of Acrobat 8. I have already installed Acrobat on the Vista installation, and would now like to install it on the XP installation as well.

Language of EULA: EULA for Acrobat 8 defines "computer" as "a computer device that accepts information in digital or similar form and manipulates it for a specific result based on a sequence of instructions."

The EULA for Acrobat 8 further provides in Section 2.4 that "the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed ("Primary User") may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer."

My Interpretation of the EULA: I think I am permitted to install and use Acrobat 8 on both Windows installations.

First, I think my computer is one "Computer" for purposes of the EULA. I don't see any differentiation between different operating system installations on one physical machine.

Second, even if each operating system installation would be considered to be a separate "Computer" under the EULA, I am the "Primary User" of the "primary Computer" and the second "Computer" is located at my home. It is impossible for me to use both "Computers" at the same time, therefore I will never be able to use Acrobat 8 on both "Computers" at the same time.

My question: Is my analysis correct? Or am I stretching the language of the EULA beyond its limits?
        • 1. Re: Acrobat 8 and Dual-Boot computer
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          I don't have any comment on the EULA, but you MIGHT run into
          difficulties with activation, because your dual boot might be seen by
          the SOFTWARE as two different ones. Adobe Customer Service can, at
          their discretion, sometimes resolve such issues (but possibly at the
          cost of disabling one copy).

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: Acrobat 8 and Dual-Boot computer
            AndyNils Level 1
            Hi there -

I am dual booting Windows 7 and XP ... already have CS4 Design Premium installed on Win7 (submitting some testing results to Microsoft so good for Adobe) ... would like to install on the XP boot as well. Same situation and logic as above. Will the CS4 license let me do this?

Note I would like to keep my portable computer option open for my laptop ... in NO CASE would the instances be used simultaneously ... it's just me, really!

Thanks