13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2009 10:15 AM by Rhydgaled

Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?

Level 1
      Just bought Adove Creative Suite 3 Design Premium for over AUS $3000 and the shop told me that I could use on many computers...
      How can I verify this?
        • 1. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
          Level 1
          Hi Hubert,

Legally speaking, it depends on how many licenses you purchased when you bought CS3 Design Premium. If you purchased the retail version, then the software itself will let you know (the EULA states you can use one copy on two machines) if you have exceeded this condition or not.

If you purchased the volume license version of CS3 Design Premium, the software itself will not prompt for activation.

Best,

-Marcel
          • 2. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
            Level 1
            What if you have purchase volume license version of CS3 Design Premium and I have a user who has two machines? Would they be able to install on both machines without violating any licensing agreement?
            • 3. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
              Level 1
              Hi Stephanie,

You can legally install the volume license version on as many _seats_ you have purchased. That said, the volume license version will not technically enforce the amount of seats you have purchased.

You may want to read up on the volume license EULA to verify if volume license seats are privy to secondary use machines.

Best,

-Marcel
              • 4. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                Level 1
                Where can I read volume license EULA?

Thank you
                • 5. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                  Level 1
                  Hi Stephanie,

All EULAs are located at

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/

I just realized that EULAs do not differ between retail and volume distributions.

Best,

-Marcel
                  • 6. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                    Level 1
                    Thanks Marcel, I have the retail version, but apparently I can have it on 2 computers but use only one computer at a time!
                    How much would I have to pay to be able to use 2 computers at a time, we
                    are a very small business.

In another matter, Is it allowed to use the Fonts to print and sell the product (Biz card, T-shirts...)?

Cheers
                    • 7. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                      Level 1
                      Hi Hubert,

If you have the retail version, you should be able to use your application on two computers simultaneously. Most likely it sounds like you have it installed/used on three computers. To find out for sure, you should contact customer support and provide your serial number. They will be able to let you know how many machines are currently using that serial number (although they can't tell you which machine in specific, since Adobe doesn't collect private data).

As for your Font question, I don't know - sorry. I only know a couple of things related to activation and licensing. Not sure if the EULA covers font usage or not. Customer support may know.

Thanks,

-Marcel
                      • 8. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                        Level 1
                        Folks,

A small correction to something Marcel indicated about regarding the simultaneous use. The EULA clearly establishes the limitations of the license. Stating what the EULA says, in simpler terms, you are allowed to install and use your copy of CS3 Design Premium in up to two (2) machines, for the use of the same person, provided that the two copies are not used simultaneously. In other words:

- Up to 2 installs (for each single license),
                        - To be used by the same person; and,
                        - Not concurrently/simultaneously.

When buying retail, you're buying a single license.
                        When buying volume licensing, you're buying a specific number of licensing seats (example: 5 seats = 5 licenses). Each license has the rights expressed in the three bullets above.

I hope this clarifies things.
                        • 9. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                          Level 1
                          I have been wondering about this myself. I understand that the license may not allow you to use, say, Photoshop on two computers simultaneously.

My question, though, is this -- what about a separate program in that suite? Can somebody use Photoshop on Computer A while I use Illustrator on Computer B? For that matter, can I even install only PS on one computer, the install all but PS on the other?
                          • 10. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                            Level 1
                            Speaking as a lawyer, who I am not, the answer is no as the Suite license is a single, unbreakable unit. So using *any* application in the suite represents a use of the license; and therefore, non-simultaneous use is allowed, per the EULA.

Now, speaking as a non-lawyer, you have to think about what's reasonable. If you're actively working with Photoshop (say, creating a complex selection on a given image), can you really be working on Illustrator at the same time (the same person) on a second machine? Not very realistic, practical or effective. A different example could be that you're applying a complex filter on a large image (say 80+ MB) in Photoshop; which could take several minutes, in such case it's reasonable to think that you would step away from that machine to work on laying out a page in InDesign on the second machine.

The important thing is the essence of the EULA, not a word-for-word interpretation. Adobe wants to provide users with the convenience and flexibility of having a single license to be installed and used in up to two computers. The operating words here are convenience and flexibility. Having a single license used frequently and/or continuously on separated machines by different users moves away from the intent of the EULA really quickly (convenience and flexibility).

So the question is, with which one of the two scenarios/examples above do you identify your situation with? I think you can answer that yourself :-)
                            • 11. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                              try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                              Technically speaking (that is, not legally speaking), you can use the applications on both computers at the same time without any problems.
                              • 12. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                                Level 1
                                is there any difference for a student license? can i also use my design premium package on two different machines?
                                • 13. Re: Creative Suite 3 Design P for how many computers?
                                  Rhydgaled Level 1

I too am wondering if my student licence allows installation on up to 2 computers rather than just one. If so I have a further poser for you, I want to install on 2 computers (one desktop and one laptop) BUT the laptop is dual boot and I want to be able to run CS3 on both of the installed operating systems. I currently only have the software activated under one of the operating systems of the laptop but it is installed and waiting for activation on the other.