6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 7:37 AM by (mike_accardi)

Is Adobe serious with their serial number processes?

Level 1
      I recently lost a hard drive and all my CS3 components with it. After the fact, I am learning I cannot re-enter my PAID serial numbers to reactivate the software (flash/PS)

I was on "online support" for an hour today, only to learn I need to call adobe now.

Meanwhile, I can't use the 30-day trial versions of anything, because I guess my system attempted activating the software with "used" serial numbers.

I don't understand this process. EVERY other software I've ever purchased works as long as you have the serial number. I need to get on my programs ASAP, and Adobe's support(or lack of) is making it impossible to get my work done.

The serial numbers were purchased from the company I work for. They allow about 4 machines per number. I really don't feel like sitting on the phone on hold for an hour, like the last time I had to contact Adobe.

I am really frustrated. This software is restricting me from getting work done. As much as people hate Microsoft, the software reinstalled in a breeze. Why can't Adobe learn from them.

How do I fix the situation?
        • 1. Re: Is Adobe serious with their serial number processes?
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          What you are describing is a very strange situation.
          What do you mean by "I cannot re-enter my PAID serial numbers to reactivate the software"? Do you have the original installation discs? If so, you just need to clean your computer (use the CS3Clean Script) and then reinstall using the original discs and the serial numbers you have. That should work just fine.

Another strange thing is this line:
          "The serial numbers were purchased from the company I work for. They allow about 4 machines per number."

That is only possible if the company had purchased a volume license from an Adobe reseller and then re-sold it to you. If that's the case, they should have also made a transfer of ownership of the product to your name. If they didn't, then in Adobe's eyes you are not the legal owner of this product, even if you paid for it, and they won't be able to help you out with your problem.

You need to sort out the ownership before asking for support.
          • 2. Re: Is Adobe serious with their serial number processes?
            Level 1
            Still,

It's not Adobe's business the exact location(s) where our company performs our work.

I installed these via digital download, and used the same serial numbers from before the hard drive reformat.

There is no need for "transfer of ownership" to my name seeing I am working for the same company, but from home.

Regardless, my point is - the last time I activated the software, it worked. Now when I attempt to activate, it pings their server (or something) and it detects the last credit (to activate) was used. What is silly is that this is the SAME machine, SAME IP, same person, and their technology should recognize it is a reactivation of the same installation.
            • 3. Re: Is Adobe serious with their serial number processes?
              Level 1
              You mention using the discs rather than the trial (digital download) ....if I do that and use the old number, will I be ok activating?
              • 4. Re: Is Adobe serious with their serial number processes?
                try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                It might, unless you've exhusted the amount of activations allowed per product (which is 2).

Adobe's activation process does actually recognize a machine that already has an activation on it, unless that machine had been formatted or had undergone a major hardware change, such as motherboard or HD replacement.

Of course it's not Adobe's business where you perform your work, but it is their business making sure that their customers are following the EULA, which is a legal contract between Adobe and it's customers.

Do you actually know which version you received from your company? Was it a volume license or a retail license? Because volume licenses have no activation, just a limited number of "seats". A retail version has a limited amount of activations. Once you arrive to that number you need to contact Adobe Activation by phone (the number appears in the activation window) and give them a decent explanation about why they should grant you another activation.
                • 5. Re: Is Adobe serious with their serial number processes?
                  Level 1
                  I ran clean script on my machine, but get the same problem. for now, I will settle with the 30-day trial so i can get the work completed....but I can't even do that. I get an error from Photoshop saying:

A Problem was encountered while trying to load the trial period for Adobe Photoshop CS3.

Click quit to see if restarting....etc.

I restarted the computer and nothing is happening.
                  • 6. Re: Is Adobe serious with their serial number processes?
                    Level 1
                    Also, would it work if I grab the disks from the office and install them that way? I am trying to find out about the license type.