21 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2008 5:07 AM by actingweb

Flash Video not working

actingweb
      Hi, im very new to dreamweaver, i created a web page, added a flv, video of my own that i created using an ffmpegx encoder from a .dv file. When i open the flv file with VLC it works, when added to my page through insert>flash video it looks like something is there but i do not have the button "play" in my options, and when saving it and trying to preview it in a browser there is the space where the video should be but not the video.

the code is like this:

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase=" http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,0,0" width="662" height="403" id="FLVPlayer">
      <param name="movie" value="FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf" />
      <param name="salign" value="lt" />
      <param name="quality" value="high" />
      <param name="scale" value="noscale" />
      <param name="FlashVars" value="&MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Halo_Skin_3&streamName=Dionisos.dv.ff&autoPlay=fal se&autoRewind=false" />
      <embed src="FLVPlayer_Progressive.swf" flashvars="&MM_ComponentVersion=1&skinName=Halo_Skin_3&streamName=Dionisos.dv.ff&autoPlay =false&autoRewind=false" quality="high" scale="noscale" width="662" height="403" name="FLVPlayer" salign="LT" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage=" http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
      </object>

Is there a problem with my code or what?

Thanks

F
        • 1. Re: Flash Video not working
          Rere2
          Hi,
          I'm no expert, but have created about 21 photo galleries using Flash. On one of them I didn't get the Flash gallery into the root folder and I had the same problem that you are having. Check your site root folder and make sure the vidio is in there. Any images besides the video that belong to the video also must also be in your root folder.

• 2. Re: Flash Video not working
            Level 7
            actingweb posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> Hi, im very new to dreamweaver, i created a web page, added a flv,
            > video of my own that i created using an ffmpegx encoder from a .dv
            > file. When i open the flv file with VLC it works, when added to my
            > page through insert>flash video it looks like something is there
            > but i do not have the button "play" in my options, and when saving
            > it and trying to preview it in a browser there is the space where
            > the video should be but not the video.

It would help immensely if you can upload the relevant files (including
            the Scripts directory) to a Web server and provide a link.

> the code is like this:

[snip]

I see streamName=Dionisos.dv.ff in two places in that code. This makes
            me wonder what the actual filename is. If that file is actually named
            Dionisos.dv.ff.flv, then I /think/ the code is OK. If the extension
            actually is .ff, then try renaming it to Dionisos.flv and re-insert.

And for Preview, I think you need to turn on "Preview using temporary
            file" in DW's Preview preferences.

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            Keep-On-Learnin' :)
            • 3. Re: Flash Video not working
              zmurman
              Hi:

I just went through this same process, and am indeed trying to solve another problem that is posted on this site. However, I think I may have the solution to your issue.

Dreamweaver needs to have metadata in the .flv file for it to show up properly in a browser. The way I am doing it is kind of convoluted but it works - bad news is its PC based (if you are Mac based that is.) http://www.buraks.com/flvmdi/ has a free application called FLV MetaData Injector, which will put the necessary Metadata into your existing .flv file you created in ffmegX. It worked for me. Good luck.
              • 4. Re: Flash Video not working
                Level 7
                zmurman posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> Dreamweaver needs to have metadata in the .flv file for it to
                > show up properly
                > in a browser. The way I am doing it is kind of convoluted but it
                > works - bad news is its PC based (if you are Mac based that is.)
                > http://www.buraks.com/flvmdi/ has a free application called FLV
                > MetaData Injector, which will put the necessary Metadata into your
                > existing .flv file you created in ffmegX. It worked for me. Good
                > luck.

I think it's Flash that needs that metadata, but good catch.

I've never used ffmpegx, but it seems they've updated it to include the
                metadata in version 0.0.9y

http://www.ffmpegx.com/news.html

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                • 5. Re: Flash Video not working
                  zmurman Level 1
                  Oops, Flash. I just downloaded the most recent version of ffmpegx a couple of days ago and all I know is that I needed to go through the extra steps for flash video to work, but I'm now expert.
                  • 6. Re: Flash Video not working
                    actingweb Level 1
                    Ok so i have uploaded an exmple of what im doing.

http://fnietoelgazi.co.cc/videoflash.html

you can see it there

thanks a lot for the help

and yes im running mac

F
                    • 7. Re: Flash Video not working
                      Level 7
                      actingweb wrote:
                      > Ok so i have uploaded an exmple of what im doing.
                      >
                      > http://fnietoelgazi.co.cc/videoflash.html
                      >
                      > you can see it there
                      >
                      > thanks a lot for the help
                      >
                      > and yes im running mac
                      >
                      > F
                      I seem to have been dealing with apparently the same issue as you, until
                      I got it working last night.

Don't know if any of this applies to you, but I had 2 things going on.

1st, I am dealing with a FLV file, inserted using the insert Flash Movie
                      option in DW. My FLV file was corrupt and wouldn't play until I
                      recreated it.

2nd. I was using a skin for playback, but had failed to upload the skin
                      to the server. Now I can't remember for sure, but I believe the skin
                      needs to be in the same place as the page, not the FLV, but it is
                      possible I have this reversed...

Also, the file AC_RunActiveContent.js has to be where the movie is
                      located, I believe. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. :-}

Harvey

• 8. Re: Flash Video not working
                        Level 7

> Ok so i have uploaded an exmple of what im doing.
                        >
                        > http://fnietoelgazi.co.cc/videoflash.html

The server response from Apache for Clown.flv shows
                        Content-Type: text/html

In order to serve Flash video, the mime-type must be set to
                        flv-application/octet-stream in the Web server. I think you're going to
                        need to contact your host or switch hosts.

I'm guessing your host is iFastNet? If that is your ISP and/or you're
                        using their free hosting, you may be out of luck, but give them a call
                        anyway.

I was going to see if the .flv file has the required metadata as
                        mentioned by zmurman, so I tried getting
                        http://fnietoelgazi.co.cc/Flash/Clown.flv directly with wget.
                        Unfortunately I was redirected with a 302 "Moved Temporarily" to
                        http://byet.org/web/index.html

--
                        Mark A. Boyd
                        • 9. Flash Video not working
                          actingweb Level 1
                          Ok i didnt really understand what u are saying about the changing host, im using a free service called 07x.net just for the testing of the webpage. My ISP is forthnet.gr as im in greece. If i do have to change host could u recomend me one that supports, the mime type "thing" (sorry totally lost with this)

Everybody says about the metadata but all of them tell how to solve it from a pc point of view, i am running a mac.

Thanks and sorry, very new to all of this and the language is rather confusing for me.

F
                          • 10. Re: Flash Video not working
                            Level 7

> Ok i didnt really understand what u are saying about the changing
                            > host, im using a free service called co.cc just for the testing of
                            > the webpage,

Yea, that's the host. It is possible that they don't support Flash
                            Video. If not, you may need to find a different host for testing, or
                            test on your actual Web site.

> everybody says about the metadata but all of them
                            > they tell how to solve it from a pc point of view, i am running a
                            > mac.

Did you see my reply to zmurman? In that reply, I mentioned that
                            ffmpegx was updated to include the metadata. If you have version 0.0.9y
                            or higher, you're probably OK. Otherwise, you can download it from
                            www.ffmpegx.com

> Thanks and sorry, very new to all of this and the language is
                            > rather confusing for me.

Which language: English, HTML, CSS, Flash ActionScript?

If it's English, then I guarantee you speak it better than I speak
                            Greek :) If one of the others, then no worries, everybody goes through
                            that phase before understanding the language.

--
                            Mark A. Boyd
                            • 11. Re: Flash Video not working
                              actingweb Level 1
                              Sorry my host service is not co.cc im using a free service called 07x.net just for the testing of the webpage. Could u recomend me one that supports flash videos.

I did downloaded the new version of ffmpegx the example i posted was done using it.

Thanks for the compliment, actually i was refering to all the others (HTML, CSS, Flash ActionScript) Hehe.

Cheers

F
                              • 12. Re: Flash Video not working
                                Level 7

> Sorry my host service is not co.cc im using a free service called
                                > 07x.net just for the testing of the webpage. Could u recomend me
                                > one that supports flash videos.

The only free service I was involved with was DotEasy
                                http://www.doteasy.com

No ads or banners as I recall (like Geocities/Yahoo tend to do).

I see that their $0 Hosting Plan claims to offer Streaming Video
                                support, but I'm sure that if it's Flash video it means Progressive
                                Video in Adobe terms - which is what you're trying to do.

IIRC, their support left something to be desired, but then what can you
                                expect for the price?

--
                                Mark A. Boyd
                                • 13. Re: Flash Video not working
                                  actingweb Level 1
                                  Ok so i have done everything that was said in this thread, ive downloaded the new version of ffmpegx, I changed my hosting service for bluehost, i added the myme tipe for flv and it still does not want to work, Help please.

New link is:

http://federiconietoelgazi.com/videoflash.html

thanks
                                  • 14. Re: Flash Video not working
                                    Level 7

> Ok so i have done everything that was said in this thread, ive
                                    > downloaded the new version of ffmpegx, I changed my hosting
                                    > service for bluehost, i added the myme tipe for flv and it still
                                    > does not want to work, Help please.
                                    >
                                    > New link is:
                                    >
                                    > http://federiconietoelgazi.com/videoflash.html

Hmm. Mime type is correct, but if you used the new ffmpegx to re-encode
                                    Clown.flv, did you remember to upload the new file?

I ask because Clown.flv does not have the metadata that Flash requires.
                                    I ran it through the Windows only flvmdi program from
                                    http://www.buraks.com/flvmdi/ and it works now.

I don't know Mac, but if you can run Windows programs on it via Wine or
                                    some other means, you may want to look into it. Or look for a different
                                    Flash Video encoder program altogether.

Meanwhile, just to get you up and running for this file, I've placed
                                    Clown.flv here: http://mboyd.com/test/Clown.flv You should be able to
                                    download it from there and upload to your site.

Here it is with your HTML file in action:
                                    http://mboyd.com/test/videoflash.html

--
                                    Mark A. Boyd
                                    • 15. Re: Flash Video not working
                                      actingweb Level 1
                                      Thanks mark,

I did uploaded the new file, i think ffmpegx finally does not include metadata.

Unfortuanally (Sorry for the misspelling) i have no way of getting them in a windows computer. Do u know wich app for mac is good?

Thanks for the file i published on my webpage and it is working.

F
                                      • 16. Re: Flash Video not working
                                        Level 7

> Thanks mark,

You're welcome.

> I did uploaded the new file, i think ffmpegx finally does not
                                        > include metadata.

Whew! Nothing like troubleshooting multiple problems for one file,
                                        eh? Host, Mime type, Meta data, encoder, etc...

> Unfortuanally (Sorry for the misspelling) i have no way of
                                        > getting them in a windows computer. Do u know wich app for mac is
                                        > good?

I don't use a Mac, but the program I've been using for years,
                                        Sorenson Pro, has a Mac version.

http://www.sorensonmedia.com

Do you have Adobe Flash? I believe it comes with a Flash Video
                                        Encoder these days - or is that Flash Pro?

Hopefully somebody else will chime in with their favorite encoder
                                        for Macs. Otherwise, I would have to resort to Google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=flash+video+encoder+mac

--
                                        Mark A. Boyd
                                        • 17. Re: Flash Video not working
                                          actingweb Level 1
                                          Ok Mark thanks a lot for all your help, i now know how to add my own flash videos, i dl flash pro which came with the very easy to use encoder wich worked perfectlly.

Do have a look to the final page with the two videos i wanted in:

http://www.federiconietoelgazi.com/videos.html

F
                                          • 18. Re: Flash Video not working
                                            Level 7

> Ok Mark thanks a lot for all your help, i now know how to add my
                                            > own flash videos, i dl flash pro which came with the very easy to
                                            > use encoder wich worked perfectlly.

Excellent. Never stop learnin' :)

> Do have a look to the final page with the two videos i wanted in:
                                            >
                                            > http://www.federiconietoelgazi.com/videos.html

Good to see it working for you.

--
                                            Mark A. Boyd
                                            • 19. Re: Flash Video not working
                                              egrave
                                              What all did you do to get your Flash Videos to work.I shore would like to know I have try every thing and nothing works
                                              • 20. Re: Flash Video not working
                                                actingweb Level 1
                                                Could you be a bit more explicit with your problem and it would help to see your problem pubished somewhere in the web.

F
                                                • 21. Re: Flash Video not working
                                                  actingweb Level 1
                                                  Could you be more explicit on your problem, maybe published it on the web somewhere.

F