1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 31, 2008 4:50 PM by Oliver Goldman

Putting an AIR UI on a C++ application

Tarindel
      Hello everyone. I work for a very large and well known company in the entertainment software industry ($4B revenues last year). We currently have a C++ based desktop application for which we are currently using Adobe Flex as a UI layer (this was built before AIR was available). Since Flex wasn't really designed to be used in desktop applications, we've had to do some pretty strange stuff involving embedded web browsers to make it work... To be kind, it's rather hacky.

Now that AIR is available, it seems to offer us a way to significantly simplify our application structure. We'd keep the C++ core application (we do lots of multithreaded stuff), and then use AIR applications to display interfaces to the end-user, using socket(s) as the communication bridge between the C++ and AIR apps.

However, I've run up against a potential sticking point. All of the AIR apps I've used so far use the traditional AIR installer and install like a normal application. This process wouldn't really be appropriate for the type of applications we would be developing. Rather, we'd like to skip the install process altogether and have the AIR applications invoked directly by the C++ core application on an as needed basis. Similar to how you can just run a .swf directly in flash player, or even an AIR app in the ADL without having to do a big install song and dance first. Or seemingly similar to what Shu or AveerAir can do (though I have questions as to whether those are legal -- since I'm part of a large corporation, everything we do has to be strictly on the level).

Is this possible, or can anybody give me any ideas as to how this might be done? Do all Air apps have to go through the formalized AIR installer before they can be executed on the end user's machine? Or is there some other mechanism we can leverage to avoid the application installation mechanism?

Many thanks,
      Alex