16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2007 3:35 AM by (William_Bell)

Problem with Returning E-license

I set up ALM, and my machine retrieved a license correctly, and the ALM license console showed it correctly. I attempted to return the license and it will not return. When I attempted the return the screen said that the return was successful but the License console did not update. I stopped and restarted the license server and it still shows even though it was returned. I uninstalled the software and during the uninstall the software prompted again to return the license, so I said to go ahead and it once again said it returned successfully but the license console still says it's issued. Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
          Level 1
          Unfortunately, the Adobe License Server Console does *not* produce realtime results. You have to wait anywhere between 5 to 10 minutes in order for the license status to be reflected in the License Server Console (that is based off the vendor's technical documentation).

If you want a realtime status, you could run the LSCU utility and click on the "Review" tab. That will display how much licenses you have available.

-Marcel
          • 3. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
            All is working well except when the end user tries to return the e-license. It states that they need administrative rights to do so. Besides granting them admin rights, is there a work-around?
            -Thanks in advance!
            • 4. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
              Level 1
              Daryll,

No, Admin rights are required to return the e-license (but not to download it). The reason for this is that many customers indicated that they have machine that are either shared or in public settings (kiosks, libraries, computer labs, etc.), so making it possible for any user to return the e-license would be problematic.
              • 5. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                Level 1
                Juan, usted es un hombre bueno. ¡Da las gracias una tonelada!
                • 7. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                  so what will happen when a hard drive fails or you reimage? That license will never be returned, what kind of license manager is that?
                  • 8. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                    Level 1
                    For the initial version of ALM, Adobe has established a process to recover lost e-licenses via customer service. In the event of lost licenses (hard drive crashes, lost or stolen laptop, etc.), customers can call customer service and e-licenses will be added to the pool indicated by the customer (corresponding to the number lost).
                    • 9. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                      Are there alternate purchase options if we choose not to use ALM. We reimage PC's here at the college on a regular basis, and in quantity. ALM becomes a managing nightmare, not to mention the problem when PC's go down and need to be replaced.
                      When we buy volume licensing, is it concurrent users? If so, the problems are obvious.
                      If the licenses are not for concurrent users, is there something in place to allow us to purchase an unlimited use site license.
                      Simply put, is there another way to purchase & use Adobe products & licenses other then ALM.
                      • 10. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                        Level 1
                        Hi, Richard.

You have the option to disable ALM. To do so immediately, follow these steps:

1. Log into Adobe Licensing Website (https://licensing.adobe.com/)
                        2. Click Set up e-Licenses
                        3. On the Enabling e-Licensing page, click Make Changes
                        4. On the subsequent page, select Disable e-Licensing from the pulldown menu
                        5. On the subsequent page, download the custom client setup file
                        6. Customize your installer so that the custom client setup file is deployed when you run Setup.exe. You'll find the instructions online here: http://www.adobe.com/elicensing/licensemanagement/alm/pdfs/ConfiguringAdobeAcrobat8withAL M_EN.pdf

If you run into problems accessing LWS, please call our Customer Service department. If you run into configuration/deployment problems, please call our Technical Support department. You'll find contact phone numbers for your region here: http://www.adobe.com/elicensing/licensemanagement/alm/pdfs/alm_escalation_ue.pdf

Regards,

M.H.
                        • 11. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                          Level 1
                          Following your instructions from Feb 16th, we could not get past step # 2. When we clicked "Setup e-license" we get an error message. Is this for modify current e-licenses, or just new license. If not for current, this is what we are trying to do - Disable our current e-license.
                          • 12. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                            Level 1
                            What error message are you receiving? If it says "No results found", this probably means you have already selected a hosting option for your order, so you will not be able to make further changes to that order through LWS. In order to disable e-licensing, you would need to call Customer Service.
                            • 13. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                              Level 1
                              thanks...
                              http://www.economycard.net
                              http://www.5579021.com
                              http://www.kurtoglunakliyat.com
                              • 14. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                                Quote:
                                Katherine N. - 1:57pm Feb 15, 07 PST (#8 of 12)

For the initial version of ALM, Adobe has established a process to recover lost e-licenses via customer service. In the event of lost licenses (hard drive crashes, lost or stolen laptop, etc.), customers can call customer service and e-licenses will be added to the pool indicated by the customer (corresponding to the number lost).
                                /Quote

This is exactly why I'm here tonite - to find out how I can recover a license from a laptop that has suddenly died on me (it won't boot; turn it on, it turns back off after a coupla seconds - no, it's not the battery...)

I've taken out the hard drive to remove some critical documents but ultimately I'd like to be able to DEACTIVATE MACHINES FROM ADOBE'S SITE.

It would be very handy if you were able to just login to your account HERE and just be able to remove licenses for your machines.

This way it doesn't depend on the actual machine in question.

Not to mention this would help when you go home for say a long weekend and you'd like to use the software at home but you FORGOT to deactivate the office machine before you left...

I mean c'mon, we're shoved these licensing schemes without much say or choice - it always seems to bother the >legit / paying< customers the most. The least you can do is cover your bases and make the licensing INTELLIGENT.

-Will
                                • 15. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                                  Level 1
                                  William,

As the original message from Katherine indicated, if you machine crashed and you lost your drive, all you need to do is to call customer service and they'll fix the problem for you.

You mention that it would be handly if you were able to login to an Adobe site and manage the licenses on your machines. I will take this as input for enhancements to the overall system (it's good input indeed, but it could be quite challenges in some countries and for some people in general as activation would require to capture some user identifiable infomation -- this is something we do not do due to specific privacy restrictions and concerns).

You also mention that you forgot to deactivate the software on your office machine before you left. The Adobe license agreement allows the owner of the license to install and activate the software on a primary machine (such as you office system), and on a secondary machine (such as your home machine), provided that is for the non-simultaneous use of the same person. So if you need to use the software on your home system as well and you do NOT have it already installed on a secondary system at work, then you are granted the right to do so. On the other hand, If you already have the same license installed on two machines at work, then deactivating one of them to activate and use a third machine at home is an invalid use of the license.

Please check your specific situation as you may have the right to install and activate the software on your secondary system at home if you haven't done so at work,

- JC
                                  • 16. Re: Problem with Returning E-license
                                    Level 1
                                    Hi Juan, thanks for your reply.

This software is my personal software, so my main machine is my home machine, I use the software at work as a convenience to myself since the most my company has ever bought is Acrobat Professional, even though I find myself tasked with website work, graphics etc.

I purchase all of my software and it is never used by anyone other than myself so that's not a concern - again my complaint was based on a wish to be able to manage my licenses from my Adobe account.

I don't quite understand how a feature like this would be a problem from "some countries" especially when my Adobe account already has "identifying" information about my previous registrations and contact info? Not to mention the majority of the world is internet connected?

You're saying it's easier to call Adobe 7:30pm (from "some country") on a Sunday nite (when a client is scheduled to come and review some work - which most likely means that there WON'T be any answer to the call to Adobe when you need it the most) compared to just accessing my Adobe account over the internet and turning off a license?

I don't understand that one?...

Yes, I plan on calling Adobe as I quoted since this seems to be the only answer to exactly WHY I was here searching last nite.

Again I appreciate your reply and I do HOPE that Adobe would take my suggestion into consideration.

Anytime a legit customer is prevented from using his own software is not a good look and obviously it creates not only problems such as I outlined but fosters ill will towards legitimate software licensing in general.

-Will