12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 1:43 PM by jdldn

Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?

jdldn Level 1
      If I have a div which is 400px by 400px, and within it is a div which is 400px wide and 100px tall, how can I make that div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
        • 1. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
          Level 7
          The only reliable way I can think of would be to make the container div be
          relatively positioned, and make the inner div be absolutely positioned with
          a bottom location of zero. That could unleash a cascade of other problems,
          though, depending on the contents of that bottom div.

What is it you are trying to accomplish?

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          ==================

"jdldn" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gdssbi$2p6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > If I have a div which is 400px by 400px, and within it is a div which is
          > 400px wide and 100px tall, how can I make that div sit on the bottom of
          > its containing div?

• 2. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
            Level 7
            Again another question about relative and absolute positionning

Isn't thru that the realtive and absolute positionning is always in
            accordance of the container the div is place in. To be more clear if DIV 2
            is in DIV 1 and DIV 1 is relative and DIV 2 is absolute DIV 2 will always
            follow it's positionning in accordance to DIV 1. I know this works cause I
            just tested it. So I dont fully understand the problem that this could do.
            More over isn't a good way to make sure that all your DIV are placed exactly
            where you want them thus making your web page perfect in positionning. Do
            you follow me or am I not clear?

aka Frenchy ASP
            "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
            news:gdsska$337$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > The only reliable way I can think of would be to make the container div be
            > relatively positioned, and make the inner div be absolutely positioned
            > with a bottom location of zero. That could unleash a cascade of other
            > problems, though, depending on the contents of that bottom div.
            >
            > What is it you are trying to accomplish?
            >
            > --
            > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            > Adobe Community Expert
            > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            > ==================
            > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            > ==================
            >
            >
            > "jdldn" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            > news:gdssbi$2p6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            >> If I have a div which is 400px by 400px, and within it is a div which is
            >> 400px wide and 100px tall, how can I make that div sit on the bottom of
            >> its containing div?
            >

• 3. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
              Level 7
              > DIV 2 will always follow it's positionning in accordance to DIV 1

Yes. And DIV 1 can be relative or absolute.

To see the problem I am concerned about put text in DIV 2 and then begin to
              resize the text in the browser.

--
              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              Adobe Community Expert
              ==================
              ==================

"Alain St-Pierre" <alainetcolleen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
              news:gdstoc$4hs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Again another question about relative and absolute positionning
              >
              > Isn't thru that the realtive and absolute positionning is always in
              > accordance of the container the div is place in. To be more clear if DIV
              > 2 is in DIV 1 and DIV 1 is relative and DIV 2 is absolute DIV 2 will
              > always follow it's positionning in accordance to DIV 1. I know this works
              > cause I just tested it. So I dont fully understand the problem that this
              > could do. More over isn't a good way to make sure that all your DIV are
              > placed exactly where you want them thus making your web page perfect in
              > positionning. Do you follow me or am I not clear?
              >
              > aka Frenchy ASP
              > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
              > news:gdsska$337$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >> The only reliable way I can think of would be to make the container div
              >> be relatively positioned, and make the inner div be absolutely positioned
              >> with a bottom location of zero. That could unleash a cascade of other
              >> problems, though, depending on the contents of that bottom div.
              >>
              >> What is it you are trying to accomplish?
              >>
              >> --
              >> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
              >> Adobe Community Expert
              >> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
              >> ==================
              >> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              >> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
              >> ==================
              >>
              >>
              >> "jdldn" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              >> news:gdssbi$2p6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >>> If I have a div which is 400px by 400px, and within it is a div which is
              >>> 400px wide and 100px tall, how can I make that div sit on the bottom of
              >>> its containing div?
              >>
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                Level 7
                I see what you mean. When the text become too big it overlaps on the other
                div and then everything is really screwed.

I am still learning and thanks again.

aka Frenchy ASP
                "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                news:gdstvr$4qj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> DIV 2 will always follow it's positionning in accordance to DIV 1
                >
                > Yes. And DIV 1 can be relative or absolute.
                >
                > To see the problem I am concerned about put text in DIV 2 and then begin
                > to resize the text in the browser.
                >
                > --
                > Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                > Adobe Community Expert
                > (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                > ==================
                > http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                > http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                > ==================
                >
                >
                > "Alain St-Pierre" <alainetcolleen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
                > news:gdstoc$4hs$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >> Again another question about relative and absolute positionning
                >>
                >> Isn't thru that the realtive and absolute positionning is always in
                >> accordance of the container the div is place in. To be more clear if DIV
                >> 2 is in DIV 1 and DIV 1 is relative and DIV 2 is absolute DIV 2 will
                >> always follow it's positionning in accordance to DIV 1. I know this
                >> works cause I just tested it. So I dont fully understand the problem
                >> that this could do. More over isn't a good way to make sure that all your
                >> DIV are placed exactly where you want them thus making your web page
                >> perfect in positionning. Do you follow me or am I not clear?
                >>
                >> aka Frenchy ASP
                >> "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote in message
                >> news:gdsska$337$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>> The only reliable way I can think of would be to make the container div
                >>> be relatively positioned, and make the inner div be absolutely
                >>> positioned with a bottom location of zero. That could unleash a cascade
                >>> of other problems, though, depending on the contents of that bottom div.
                >>>
                >>> What is it you are trying to accomplish?
                >>>
                >>> --
                >>> Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                >>> Adobe Community Expert
                >>> (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                >>> ==================
                >>> http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                >>> http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                >>> ==================
                >>>
                >>>
                >>> "jdldn" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                >>> news:gdssbi$2p6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >>>> If I have a div which is 400px by 400px, and within it is a div which
                >>>> is 400px wide and 100px tall, how can I make that div sit on the bottom
                >>>> of its containing div?
                >>>
                >>
                >>
                >

• 5. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                  jdldn Level 1
                  thank for your reply. I just wondered if there was a way to do this. I can fix the problem with one extra div so ill just do that.
                  • 6. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                    Level 7
                    I'm not sure you can 'fix this problem' with an extra div. In fact you may
                    make it much worse. But why not tell us how you thinkg this will fix
                    things, please.

--
                    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                    Adobe Community Expert
                    ==================
                    ==================

news:gdsuda$5f9$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                    > thank for your reply. I just wondered if there was a way to do this. I can
                    > fix the problem with one extra div so ill just do that.
                    >

• 7. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                      jdldn Level 1
                      The site has a fixed height. Im working on the template page but I dont know what this fixed height will be just yet. I wanted a div to sit on the bottom of its container so it would look right while I worked on the site.

Instead Ive put a new div above the div I wanted to drop down and set the height so its forced down the correct amount. When the site is finished this new div will be unnecessary as the content will naturally force down the div I want to sit on the bottom.

Im pretty sure ive solved the problem but any issues will become apparent as i build the site. If its a serious issue then ill be able to upload it for feedback.
                      thanks for the concern.
                      • 8. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                        Level 7
                        jdldn wrote:
                        > If I have a div which is 400px by 400px, and within it is a div which is 400px wide and 100px tall, how can I make that div sit on the bottom of its containing div?

This has a good approach.....

http://www.dotnetadvisor.com/Blog/PinnedFooter.aspx

HTH

--
                        chin chin
                        Sinclair
                        • 9. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                          jdldn Level 1
                          Thanks djinn. I dont need it for this site but ill bookmark that for later. I remember having a similar problem a while back and giving up.
                          • 10. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                            Level 7
                            > The site has a fixed height

Unless the site is all graphics or Flash this is almost certain to fail.
                            --

Walt

news:gdt2rb$bdq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                            > The site has a fixed height. Im working on the template page but I dont
                            > know
                            > what this fixed height will be just yet. I wanted a div to sit on the
                            > bottom of
                            > its container so it would look right while I worked on the site.
                            >
                            > Instead Ive put a new div above the div I wanted to drop down and set the
                            > height so its forced down the correct amount. When the site is finished
                            > this
                            > new div will be unnecessary as the content will naturally force down the
                            > div I
                            > want to sit on the bottom.
                            >
                            > Im pretty sure ive solved the problem but any issues will become apparent
                            > as i
                            > build the site. If its a serious issue then ill be able to upload it for
                            > feedback.
                            > thanks for the concern.
                            >

• 11. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                              malcster2 Level 1
                              can you not set the 'inside div' top margin to 300px?
                              • 12. Re: Make div sit on the bottom of its containing div?
                                jdldn Level 1
                                malcster2, I dont know if your question is for me but either way I think im explaining my site badly as its working fine. Ill do the normal checks across browsers but i think its fine.
                                thanks