Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Text Boxes Limit by Dimensions - not character count.

Former Community Member
How do I make Designer limit a user filled text box so that a scroll bar is not created when Multiple Lines is enabled? I want the user to be able to type ANY amount of text up to the physical dimensions of the text box.

Is there a way?
5 Replies

Former Community Member
Brian,

There is a similar post to yours. Click
here to see more details.

Former Community Member
Brian, I found that the "similiar post" didn't answer this question and I am having the same problem. Did you find a way to do this?

Former Community Member
Tho,

You can check the "expand to fit" on height for a text field to have the text field to expand to fit any amount of text.

To locate the "expand to fit", select the Layout pallette while the text field is focused.

Former Community Member
jimmypham, this still doesn't solve the issue. I have a form with fixed dimensions for certain text boxes. I want the user to be able to enter text up to the physical dimensions of the box, which cannot change. Since the form will be printed after data entry the scroll bar is unacceptable.

Is there a way to limit a text box in this fashion?

Former Community Member
Brian,

For a fixed dimensions multiple-line-textfield, you can use the maxChars property to control the maximum number of character in the textfield. Unfortunately, the property such as maximum number of lines does not exist. Otherwise, this property would be a better choice for you.

However,you can write some javascript to count the number of lines of the text that was entered in the textfield and alert your user that his/her text entered might not be printed properly.