11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2014 1:10 PM by baileyhayden

Folders don't stay collapsed

veramilomilo Level 1
      In the Local Files panel, I cannot get folders to stay collapsed. For instance: I have one folder for CSS files and another for Includes in the root level of my site and both are expanded. I will collapse CSS, but when I then collapse Includes, the CSS expands again. It doesn't seem to happen with all folders. Is this a bug or some kind of strange feature I don't understand or is there a way to make this stop? It was happening in DW8 and I hoped upgrading to CS4 would stop it but it hasn't. This is the Mac version.
        • 1. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
          Level 7
          veramilomilo posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> In the Local Files panel, I cannot get folders to stay collapsed.
          > For instance: I have one folder for CSS files and another for
          > Includes in the root level of my site and both are expanded. I
          > will collapse CSS, but when I then collapse Includes, the CSS
          > expands again. It doesn't seem to happen with all folders. Is
          > this a bug or some kind of strange feature I don't understand or
          > is there a way to make this stop? It was happening in DW8 and I
          > hoped upgrading to CS4 would stop it but it hasn't.

Bug to you and me, strange feature to some ;)

I know I've seen this discussed in hear before with a solution
          involving editing the registry (assuming you're on Windows).

I suggest you search for "folder collapse" (no quotes) here:

http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=group:macromedia.dreamweaver

--
          Mark A. Boyd
          Keep-On-Learnin' :)
          • 2. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
            Level 7
            Mark A. Boyd posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> I know I've seen this discussed in hear before with a solution
            > involving editing the registry (assuming you're on Windows).

...discussed in here before...

I doubt I ever heard it before, though.

> I suggest you search for "folder collapse" (no quotes) here:
            >
            http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=group:macromedia.dreamweaver

--
            Mark A. Boyd
            • 3. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
              Level 7
              http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.dreamweaver/search?hl=en&group=mac
              romedia.dreamweaver&q=alan+registry+expanded++folder

**if you manually create a New site definition for this site, it will do the
              same thing as the registry edit given below
              In other words, make a NEW site definition for this site.

If you click duplicate instead of New, it will copy the expanded folder
              info over to the site def afaik resulting in the same expanded folder
              problem in the new site def, again afaik.

Manually clearing the expanded folder info for this site in the windows
              registry:

1. Open regedit.

2. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Macromedia\Dreamweaver 6\Sites\

*modify that path as needed for the version of dreamweaver you are using
              Recent versions would be in Adobe path, not Macromedia

3. Select the site number that you're having problems with (just look in
              each one e.g. "-Site3" until you see the site name being mentioned).

4. Careful here...

Locate the values that begin with "Local Expanded Dir" and end with a number
              (there should be quite a few of them) and delete them.

5. Then open the value "Local Expanded Dirs" and using a 'Decimal' base,
              change the value to 0 (zero).

6. Quit regedit, and that should solve it...

And repeating- If you manually create a new site definition, it will get rid
              of the open folders.

Cause of the open folders- closing dw or changing sites with the folder left
              expanded. Dw assumes you want it open next time you open this site.

--
              Alan
              Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 4. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
                Level 7
                Alan posted in macromedia.dreamweaver:

> http://groups.google.com/group/macromedia.dreamweaver/search?hl=en&
                > group=mac romedia.dreamweaver&q=alan+registry+expanded++folder

Yea, that was it, thanks.

--
                Mark "I hear you" Boyd
                • 5. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
                  veramilomilo Level 1
                  I'm on the Mac version. I found in one of the google results that something similar can be done in the DW preference file for the Mac, but the only similar setting I found was the following and it was already 0:

[FILE BROWSER]
                  expanded dirs=0

In case I didn't explain correctly in my original post:

I wouldn't mind if it remembered which folders were open after I quit and reopened DW or switched sites; my problem is that it does this while I'm opening/closing other folders. And I don't mean subfolders. I'm talking about separate folders. In my case, all the problematic folders are in the site root. It will even pop open multiple folders.

If this really IS a feature, I personally don't see how it could be so generally useful that it should be the default. It's bad enough that I have to have all my root folders on display at all times -- but I could live with that if the other folders would at least stay closed when I close them! (I was a long-time GoLive user, which allowed me to have the contents of just one folder in the site pane when I wanted. I really, really miss that feature.)
                  • 6. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
                    veramilomilo Level 1
                    Is there anyone else who is experiencing this problem wtih the Mac (Tiger OS) version of DW?

I have not been able to correct it with the provided suggestions and now the more files I add to the site, the more annoying it gets since I often have to scroll past several expanded folders to get to the one I need.
                    • 7. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
                      Level 7
                      Manually make a NEW site definition, entering all the needed info.

Don't use the "duplicate" button in the manage sites dialog box, that would
                      copy the open folder info.

to prevent or lessen the problem in the future, collapse folders in the
                      Files Panel before changing sites or closing dw.

--
                      Alan
                      Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 8. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
                        veramilomilo Level 1
                        Thanks, I'll give this a try, but if the only way to prevent it from happening again is for me to always remember to collapse the folders before quitting DW, it may not be worth the effort.

Should I even bother to report this as a bug (it sounds like it's already known), and if so, where? Apparently it's been there since DW8, if not before.

I have to doubt it's an intentional feature, otherwise you'd be able to reset folder states easier than having to recreate the site definition.
                        • 9. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
                          jlglobalmedia Level 1

The regedit solution WORKS! I searched forever for this issue to no avail. Finally came upon this thread and BAM all folders in the files panel collapsed. The registy keys were in a different directory than those specified here, so I'll add a few notes:

[#] means any number > or = "1"

1. Search for or "Find" keyword = Expanded

- hit F3 or "Find Next" untill the Number Sites Directory is displayed.  Mine were in: HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Adobe/Common/10/Sites/

there you should find directories labeled "-Site[#]"

2. Find the site you are looking for by browsing. - the data should display information related to the site

3. Delete only the registries titled "Local Expanded Dir [#]" - the Data field should display the folders and expanded directories

4. close dreamweaver either before or immediatly after if you haven't already.

5. Re open DW and there you go.

Thank you so much!!!

---

Dreamweaver CS4

Windows XP Pro SP3

www.JLglobal.com

• 10. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
                            jlglobalmedia Level 1

Thank you so much. This Expand all or Collapse all folder or files in the files panel issue was slowing me down and driving me nuts!

Regedit carefully and problem solved. See my post below for details on my steps.

• 11. Re: Folders don't stay collapsed
                              baileyhayden Level 1

Worked great! This was driving me crazy...