3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2006 12:47 PM by VVebbie

ftp suddenly failing

DavidThi_808 Level 1
      Hi;

Synchronize using ftp has worked great for several weeks and now suddenly it locks up on the same file (a jpg) each time. I click cancel on the synchronize box and it appears that there is still a background file transfer process. I cannot get Dreamweaver to exit and have to use the task manager to kill it.

I have 8.0.2 and I have tried rebooting and then running this as the only app - same problem. Any ideas?

thanks - dave
        • 1. Re: ftp suddenly failing
          Level 7
          What happens if you delete/don't upload this jpg? It's possible that it's
          corrupted.

--
          Jo

"dave@windward.net" <david@windward.net> wrote in message
          news:eggnla$kj8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi;
          >
          > Synchronize using ftp has worked great for several weeks and now suddenly
          > it
          > locks up on the same file (a jpg) each time. I click cancel on the
          > synchronize
          > box and it appears that there is still a background file transfer process.
          > I
          > cannot get Dreamweaver to exit and have to use the task manager to kill
          > it.
          >
          > I have 8.0.2 and I have tried rebooting and then running this as the only
          > app
          > - same problem. Any ideas?
          >
          > thanks - dave
          >

• 2. Re: ftp suddenly failing
            Level 7
            Is the jpg corrupt?

--
            Nancy Gill
            Adobe Community Expert
            BLOG: http://www.dmxwishes.com/blog.asp
            Author: Dreamweaver 8 e-book for the DMX Zone
            Co-Author: Dreamweaver MX: Instant Troubleshooter (August, 2003)
            Technical Editor: DMX 2004: The Complete Reference, DMX 2004: A Beginner's
            Guide, Mastering Macromedia Contribute
            Technical Reviewer: Dynamic Dreamweaver MX/DMX: Advanced PHP Web Development

"dave@windward.net" <david@windward.net> wrote in message
            news:eggnla$kj8$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hi;
            >
            > Synchronize using ftp has worked great for several weeks and now suddenly
            > it
            > locks up on the same file (a jpg) each time. I click cancel on the
            > synchronize
            > box and it appears that there is still a background file transfer process.
            > I
            > cannot get Dreamweaver to exit and have to use the task manager to kill
            > it.
            >
            > I have 8.0.2 and I have tried rebooting and then running this as the only
            > app
            > - same problem. Any ideas?
            >
            > thanks - dave
            >

• 3. Re: ftp suddenly failing
              VVebbie Level 1
              Whether or not the file is corrupt shouldn't really have anything to do with it, as it's just sending binary data, not reading the JPG.

My guess is that it is encountering a bit sequence that it doesn't like for whatever reason. Try saving the JPG again with a different compression level, or using a different ftp utility.

You can ftp using windows explorer by entering ftp://username@host.com into the address bar.