11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2006 4:07 AM by Newsgroup_User

Converting from HTML to php

Level 7
      Generally Dreamweaver provides good support for changes to templates, and
      automatically updates all the files using a particular template when you change
      that template. However this breaks down if you change a template, or a file, to
      .php. Dreamweaver regards this as creating a new file, and does not offer to
      update links.

My master template was basicpage.dwt. I created a new dynamic page, copied the
      guts of basicpage.dwt into it, and then saved it as basic page.dwt.php.

I didn't really expect Dreamweaver to recognise that this was replacing
      basicpage.dwt, but when I opened the template directory I was surprised to find
      that it did not show the extensions, just two files basicpage. So I renamed
      basicpage.dwt.php to basicphpage.dwt.php so I could tell them apart. Then I
      opened index.htm, attached it to basicphpage.dwt.php, inserted some php to
      verify that it worked and resaved it as index.php. I uploaded to my file server
      and verified that the php worked. I also found that my host system loaded
      index.php by default.

Next I opened one of the existing subsidiary templates, attached it to
      basicphpage.dwt.php, and resaved it. Dreamweaver saved it with the correct
      extension, but again did not recognise that I had changed the template.

Next I opened one of the dependent files, attached it to the new template, and
      resaved it. Again Dreamweaver regarded this as creating a new file, and did not
      offer to update links. So when I convert each template I will then have to open
      every existing page using it, manually attach the new version of the template to
      it, and manually update all the links in it, or referring to it. Drat!

It looks as if I should only convert those pages which I want to be dynamic, and
      only do so when I am ready to add the new functionality.

Clancy
        • 1. Re: Converting from HTML to php
          Level 7
          > but when I opened the template directory I was surprised to find
          > that it did not show the extensions, just two files basicpage.

Yes - that's a known problem.

> Next I opened one of the existing subsidiary templates, attached it to
          > basicphpage.dwt.php, and resaved it. Dreamweaver saved it with the
          > correct
          > extension, but again did not recognise that I had changed the template.

This is where things get murky. Nested templates are a big bad bear. I
          really don't recommend you use them.

> It looks as if I should only convert those pages which I want to be
          > dynamic, and
          > only do so when I am ready to add the new functionality.

And don't use nested templates.

--
          Murray --- ICQ 71997575
          Adobe Community Expert
          (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
          ==================
          http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com - Template Triage!
          http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
          http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/ - Macromedia (MM) Technotes
          ==================

"Clancy" <clancy@cybec.com.au> wrote in message
          news:r5epj2tn2bg17ca4270d5c253huq7dclae@4ax.com...
          > Generally Dreamweaver provides good support for changes to templates, and
          > automatically updates all the files using a particular template when you
          > change
          > that template. However this breaks down if you change a template, or a
          > file, to
          > .php. Dreamweaver regards this as creating a new file, and does not offer
          > to
          > update links.
          >
          > My master template was basicpage.dwt. I created a new dynamic page,
          > copied the
          > guts of basicpage.dwt into it, and then saved it as basic page.dwt.php.
          >
          > I didn't really expect Dreamweaver to recognise that this was replacing
          > basicpage.dwt, but when I opened the template directory I was surprised to
          > find
          > that it did not show the extensions, just two files basicpage. So I
          > renamed
          > basicpage.dwt.php to basicphpage.dwt.php so I could tell them apart. Then
          > I
          > opened index.htm, attached it to basicphpage.dwt.php, inserted some php to
          > verify that it worked and resaved it as index.php. I uploaded to my file
          > server
          > and verified that the php worked. I also found that my host system loaded
          > index.php by default.
          >
          > Next I opened one of the existing subsidiary templates, attached it to
          > basicphpage.dwt.php, and resaved it. Dreamweaver saved it with the
          > correct
          > extension, but again did not recognise that I had changed the template.
          >
          > Next I opened one of the dependent files, attached it to the new template,
          > and
          > resaved it. Again Dreamweaver regarded this as creating a new file, and
          > did not
          > offer to update links. So when I convert each template I will then have
          > to open
          > every existing page using it, manually attach the new version of the
          > template to
          > it, and manually update all the links in it, or referring to it. Drat!
          >
          > It looks as if I should only convert those pages which I want to be
          > dynamic, and
          > only do so when I am ready to add the new functionality.
          >
          >
          > Clancy

• 2. Re: Converting from HTML to php
            Level 7
            "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:

> Nested templates are a big bad bear. I really don't recommend you use them.

I know nested templates are against your religion, Murray, but they have almost
            nothing to do with the problems involved in converting a web site from HTML to
            php.

The problems arise from the fact that it does not seem to be possible to
            persuade Dreamweaver to automatically change files from .htm to .php, or to
            automatically update cross references when you do. The only complication nested
            templates introduce is that there are a few more template files to convert. The
            major part of the task is opening every individual file, and attaching it to a
            new template, and then changing the file extension in every cross reference in
            that file (except if they are external references!).

If I did not use templates at all, I think I would have to create a new dynamic
            page for every existing page, then copy the contents from the existing page to
            the new page, and this would involve even more work. After all that I would
            still have to go through and change all the cross references.

Clancy
            • 3. Re: Converting from HTML to php
              Level 7

> My master template was basicpage.dwt. I created a new dynamic page, copied
              > the
              > guts of basicpage.dwt into it, and then saved it as basic page.dwt.php

I would use find and replace to directly change the template html comment in
              the files

find in source:
              "Templates/basicpage.dwt"

change to
              "Templates/basicpage.dwt.php"

Or- i'd use the file panel and rename things to jigger it around.

rename basicpage.dwt to basicpage1.dwt.php
              click okay to updating links and refs.

then, delete basicpage1.dwt.php
              click NO to checking links, just delete it. (make a backup of it someplace
              if wanted)

now, rename the new php template from basicpage.dwt.php to
              basicpage1.dwt.php

all that renaming does the same thing as the quick find and replace.

• 4. Re: Converting from HTML to php
                Level 7
                Clancy wrote:
                > "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
                >
                >
                >>Nested templates are a big bad bear. I really don't recommend you use them.
                >
                >
                > I know nested templates are against your religion, Murray, but they have almost
                > nothing to do with the problems involved in converting a web site from HTML to
                > php.
                >
                > The problems arise from the fact that it does not seem to be possible to
                > persuade Dreamweaver to automatically change files from .htm to .php, or to
                > automatically update cross references when you do. The only complication nested
                > templates introduce is that there are a few more template files to convert. The
                > major part of the task is opening every individual file, and attaching it to a
                > new template, and then changing the file extension in every cross reference in
                > that file (except if they are external references!).
                >
                > If I did not use templates at all, I think I would have to create a new dynamic
                > page for every existing page, then copy the contents from the existing page to
                > the new page, and this would involve even more work. After all that I would
                > still have to go through and change all the cross references.
                >
                >
                > Clancy

if you use PHP I don't see why you would use Dreamweaver templates.
                You can do with PHP more, better, and fatser in terms of content architecture (i.e. really
                functional templates) than what DM templates can do. AND, your dynamic PHP templates won't be

dependent on Dreamweaver's UI.

--
                seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
                Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List
                • 5. Re: Converting from HTML to php
                  Level 7
                  My point exactly, although top-level templates still have a use, at least
                  for me.

--
                  Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  ==================
                  ==================

"(_seb_)" <seb@webtrans1.com> wrote in message
                  news:ehjo0h$baa$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > Clancy wrote:
                  >> "Murray *ACE*" <forums@HAHAgreat-web-sights.com> wrote:
                  >>
                  >>
                  >>>Nested templates are a big bad bear. I really don't recommend you use
                  >>>them.
                  >>
                  >>
                  >> I know nested templates are against your religion, Murray, but they have
                  >> almost
                  >> nothing to do with the problems involved in converting a web site from
                  >> HTML to
                  >> php.
                  >>
                  >> The problems arise from the fact that it does not seem to be possible to
                  >> persuade Dreamweaver to automatically change files from .htm to .php, or
                  >> to
                  >> automatically update cross references when you do. The only complication
                  >> nested
                  >> templates introduce is that there are a few more template files to
                  >> convert. The
                  >> major part of the task is opening every individual file, and attaching it
                  >> to a
                  >> new template, and then changing the file extension in every cross
                  >> reference in
                  >> that file (except if they are external references!). If I did not use
                  >> templates at all, I think I would have to create a new dynamic
                  >> page for every existing page, then copy the contents from the existing
                  >> page to
                  >> the new page, and this would involve even more work. After all that I
                  >> would
                  >> still have to go through and change all the cross references. Clancy
                  >
                  > if you use PHP I don't see why you would use Dreamweaver templates.
                  > You can do with PHP more, better, and fatser in terms of content
                  > architecture (i.e. really functional templates) than what DM templates can
                  > do. AND, your dynamic PHP templates won't be
                  > dependent on Dreamweaver's UI.
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  > --
                  > seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                  > http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
                  > Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List

• 6. Re: Converting from HTML to php
                    Level 7
                    "(_seb_)" <seb@webtrans1.com> wrote:

>if you use PHP I don't see why you would use Dreamweaver templates.
                    >You can do with PHP more, better, and fatser in terms of content architecture (i.e. really
                    >functional templates) than what DM templates can do. AND, your dynamic PHP templates won't be
                    >dependent on Dreamweaver's UI.

I have been working on my several web sites for about four years now, and
                    probably have a total of 300 to 400 pages. These work, I think they look
                    attractive, and user feedback has been favorable.

If I had nothing better to do, I could probably spend a year or so working out
                    how to do the same job without using templates. The resulting new design MIGHT
                    be significantly easier to modify, and perhaps even to maintain, but the new
                    pages would probably look much the same (I like the way they look now!), and I
                    very much doubt if the visitor would notice the difference.

I can see that there are a number of minor improvements I will be able to make
                    to my sites, once I have mastered php and mysql, but the one major incentive I
                    have for learning them is that I have a number of photo albums, and it will be
                    much easier to add new photos once I have set up a database.

I have already passed my biblical 'use by' date, and I don't feel that I have a
                    year to throw away just to make my web sites comply with someone else's dogma.
                    I have a lot more material I would like to add to my various web sites, and I
                    feel that this would be a much more profitable use of my remaining time, to say
                    nothing of it being much more fun.

Clancy
                    • 7. Re: Converting from HTML to php
                      Level 7
                      Alan <dont_mail_me_period@macromedia.com> wrote:

>Or- i'd use the file panel and rename things to jigger it around.
                      >
                      >rename basicpage.dwt to basicpage1.dwt.php
                      >click okay to updating links and refs.
                      >
                      >then, delete basicpage1.dwt.php
                      >click NO to checking links, just delete it. (make a backup of it someplace
                      >if wanted)
                      >
                      >now, rename the new php template from basicpage.dwt.php to
                      >basicpage1.dwt.php
                      >
                      >all that renaming does the same thing as the quick find and replace.

Thank goodness for someone who talks sense, instead of dogma!

On the basis of what I had already tried, I didn't think your ideas would work,
                      but I decided to try them out on a set of poems I had written 50 years ago, in
                      my "Sturm und Drang" period. I chose this folder, because I don't think anyone
                      is interested in it, and didn't think anyone would notice if I crashed it. I
                      don't recommend them, but if you are a student of psychology you can find the
                      poems at http://www.corybas.com/Poems/Intro.php.

The procedure I used was as follows:

1. I renamed the template poempage.dwt to poempage.dwt.php, and asked for links
                      to be updated.

2. I renamed each file from foo.htm to foo.php, and each time I asked for links
                      to be updated. When I was doing this, I noticed that sometimes all the links
                      are updated, but sometimes only those in the particular file are updated.

3. I created a new dynamic file, and saved it as template foo.dwt.php. I then
                      copied the body from poempage.dwt.php into it, and saved the result as
                      poempage.dwt.php, overwriting the previous version.

4. I put the php code to print the date into one of the files, and checked that
                      it worked.

When I started testing systematically I discovered why some of the people here
                      have been telling me to get rid of spaces in file names. I have been doing this
                      whenever I noticed any, but I had not done anything with this set of poems
                      recently, and I didn't notice that many of the names contained spaces. I soon
                      discovered that any link to a file name containing spaces had not been updated,
                      whereas those to names which did not contain spaces had been updated.

If I had realised this earlier I could have changed the names before I converted
                      to .php, and the links would have been updated relatively painlessly, but as it
                      was I had to go through and change all the file names, and then go through and
                      change all the links referring to each of these files.

There is still one potential problem (which is why I didn't think this procedure
                      would work) and that is that although the files I have converted by simply
                      changing the extension are now derived from the .php template, they still
                      contain the original HTML header:
                      <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
                      " http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
                      <html>

Rather than the php header:
                      <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
                      " http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
                      <html xmlns=" http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

I don't know whether this is important, but the only way to fix it is to open
                      each file in turn, and attach the .dwt.php template to it (even though it is
                      already attached).

Anyone like to comment on whether this is necessary?

Clancy
                      • 8. Re: Converting from HTML to php
                        Level 7
                        > Anyone like to comment on whether this is necessary?

Just do a sitewide find and replace for the former with the latter. Make
                        sure none of your child pages are open when you do this.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        ==================
                        ==================

"Clancy" <clancy@cybec.com.au> wrote in message
                        news:qlprj2l9u3fvh22od7o6h7mpph6qjn5u4d@4ax.com...
                        > Alan <dont_mail_me_period@macromedia.com> wrote:
                        >
                        >>Or- i'd use the file panel and rename things to jigger it around.
                        >>
                        >>rename basicpage.dwt to basicpage1.dwt.php
                        >>click okay to updating links and refs.
                        >>
                        >>then, delete basicpage1.dwt.php
                        >>click NO to checking links, just delete it. (make a backup of it someplace
                        >>if wanted)
                        >>
                        >>now, rename the new php template from basicpage.dwt.php to
                        >>basicpage1.dwt.php
                        >>
                        >>all that renaming does the same thing as the quick find and replace.
                        >
                        > Thank goodness for someone who talks sense, instead of dogma!
                        >
                        > On the basis of what I had already tried, I didn't think your ideas would
                        > work,
                        > but I decided to try them out on a set of poems I had written 50 years
                        > ago, in
                        > my "Sturm und Drang" period. I chose this folder, because I don't think
                        > anyone
                        > is interested in it, and didn't think anyone would notice if I crashed it.
                        > I
                        > don't recommend them, but if you are a student of psychology you can find
                        > the
                        > poems at http://www.corybas.com/Poems/Intro.php.
                        >
                        > The procedure I used was as follows:
                        >
                        > 1. I renamed the template poempage.dwt to poempage.dwt.php, and asked for
                        > links
                        > to be updated.
                        >
                        > 2. I renamed each file from foo.htm to foo.php, and each time I asked for
                        > links
                        > to be updated. When I was doing this, I noticed that sometimes all the
                        > links
                        > are updated, but sometimes only those in the particular file are updated.
                        >
                        > 3. I created a new dynamic file, and saved it as template foo.dwt.php. I
                        > then
                        > copied the body from poempage.dwt.php into it, and saved the result as
                        > poempage.dwt.php, overwriting the previous version.
                        >
                        > 4. I put the php code to print the date into one of the files, and checked
                        > that
                        > it worked.
                        >
                        > When I started testing systematically I discovered why some of the people
                        > here
                        > have been telling me to get rid of spaces in file names. I have been
                        > doing this
                        > whenever I noticed any, but I had not done anything with this set of poems
                        > recently, and I didn't notice that many of the names contained spaces. I
                        > soon
                        > discovered that any link to a file name containing spaces had not been
                        > updated,
                        > whereas those to names which did not contain spaces had been updated.
                        >
                        > If I had realised this earlier I could have changed the names before I
                        > converted
                        > to .php, and the links would have been updated relatively painlessly, but
                        > as it
                        > was I had to go through and change all the file names, and then go through
                        > and
                        > change all the links referring to each of these files.
                        >
                        > There is still one potential problem (which is why I didn't think this
                        > procedure
                        > would work) and that is that although the files I have converted by simply
                        > changing the extension are now derived from the .php template, they still
                        > contain the original HTML header:
                        > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
                        > " http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
                        > <html>
                        >
                        > Rather than the php header:
                        > <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
                        > " http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
                        > <html xmlns=" http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
                        >
                        > I don't know whether this is important, but the only way to fix it is to
                        > open
                        > each file in turn, and attach the .dwt.php template to it (even though it
                        > is
                        > already attached).
                        >
                        > Anyone like to comment on whether this is necessary?
                        >
                        >
                        > Clancy

• 9. Re: Converting from HTML to php
                          Level 7
                          I sure do get your point. learning all that stuff is rather boring in itself. That's what I've told
                          myself for years, until I dived into PHP (with a book at first, but now I just go to
                          http://us3.php.net/manual/en/) whenever I need to learn something new.

Once I did, and once I managed to setup a local testing server on my machine, I was surprised at how
                          easy it was to learn the basic stuff that allows content architecture management. It took me about
                          two weeks to learn the most useful techniques (how to generate html code with php, how to include
                          remote files, how to use arrays, how to use conditionals).

Now that I know that, I enjoy building websites much more, and I can do it much faster. For one
                          thing, you say you have 'a total of 300 to 400 pages'. That's a problem with static sites. Pages
                          number has become an irrelevant concept since I use PHP. My sites rarely have more than 10 'pages',
                          even if the visitor can navigate through vast ammounts of content. Because PHP templates allow me to
                          generate pages on the fly, depending on what content needs to be displayed, so I can add content
                          without having to build new pages... That's a lot of fun to build sites that way. I also can offer
                          much more to my clients in terms of flexibility and content management, which allows me to charge
                          them more... Website maintenance is a breeze. If I had known what possibilities it would open and
                          how it would optimize my workflow, I wouldn't have waited so long to dive into it.

But of course there is a time for everything. I just couldn't recommend anything more than learning
                          a server-side language, to anybody who wants to make a living of webdesign (and have fun doing it).

Clancy wrote:
                          > "(_seb_)" <seb@webtrans1.com> wrote:
                          >
                          >
                          >>if you use PHP I don't see why you would use Dreamweaver templates.
                          >>You can do with PHP more, better, and fatser in terms of content architecture (i.e. really
                          >>functional templates) than what DM templates can do. AND, your dynamic PHP templates won't be
                          >>dependent on Dreamweaver's UI.
                          >
                          >
                          > I have been working on my several web sites for about four years now, and
                          > probably have a total of 300 to 400 pages. These work, I think they look
                          > attractive, and user feedback has been favorable.
                          >
                          > If I had nothing better to do, I could probably spend a year or so working out
                          > how to do the same job without using templates. The resulting new design MIGHT
                          > be significantly easier to modify, and perhaps even to maintain, but the new
                          > pages would probably look much the same (I like the way they look now!), and I
                          > very much doubt if the visitor would notice the difference.
                          >
                          > I can see that there are a number of minor improvements I will be able to make
                          > to my sites, once I have mastered php and mysql, but the one major incentive I
                          > have for learning them is that I have a number of photo albums, and it will be
                          > much easier to add new photos once I have set up a database.
                          >
                          > I have already passed my biblical 'use by' date, and I don't feel that I have a
                          > year to throw away just to make my web sites comply with someone else's dogma.
                          > I have a lot more material I would like to add to my various web sites, and I
                          > feel that this would be a much more profitable use of my remaining time, to say
                          > nothing of it being much more fun.
                          >
                          >
                          > Clancy

--
                          seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                          • 10. Re: Converting from HTML to php
                            Level 7
                            sorry for the dogma. I'll stop

(_seb_) wrote:
                            > I sure do get your point. learning all that stuff is rather boring in
                            > itself. That's what I've told myself for years, until I dived into PHP
                            > (with a book at first, but now I just go to
                            > http://us3.php.net/manual/en/) whenever I need to learn something new.
                            >
                            > Once I did, and once I managed to setup a local testing server on my
                            > machine, I was surprised at how easy it was to learn the basic stuff
                            > that allows content architecture management. It took me about two weeks
                            > to learn the most useful techniques (how to generate html code with php,
                            > how to include remote files, how to use arrays, how to use conditionals).
                            >
                            > Now that I know that, I enjoy building websites much more, and I can do
                            > it much faster. For one thing, you say you have 'a total of 300 to 400
                            > pages'. That's a problem with static sites. Pages number has become an
                            > irrelevant concept since I use PHP. My sites rarely have more than 10
                            > 'pages', even if the visitor can navigate through vast ammounts of
                            > content. Because PHP templates allow me to generate pages on the fly,
                            > depending on what content needs to be displayed, so I can add content
                            > without having to build new pages... That's a lot of fun to build sites
                            > that way. I also can offer much more to my clients in terms of
                            > flexibility and content management, which allows me to charge them
                            > more... Website maintenance is a breeze. If I had known what
                            > possibilities it would open and how it would optimize my workflow, I
                            > wouldn't have waited so long to dive into it.
                            >
                            > But of course there is a time for everything. I just couldn't recommend
                            > anything more than learning a server-side language, to anybody who wants
                            > to make a living of webdesign (and have fun doing it).
                            >
                            > Clancy wrote:
                            >
                            >> "(_seb_)" <seb@webtrans1.com> wrote:
                            >>
                            >>
                            >>> if you use PHP I don't see why you would use Dreamweaver templates.
                            >>> You can do with PHP more, better, and fatser in terms of content
                            >>> architecture (i.e. really functional templates) than what DM
                            >>> templates can do. AND, your dynamic PHP templates won't be dependent
                            >>> on Dreamweaver's UI.
                            >>
                            >>
                            >>
                            >> I have been working on my several web sites for about four years now, and
                            >> probably have a total of 300 to 400 pages. These work, I think they look
                            >> attractive, and user feedback has been favorable.
                            >> If I had nothing better to do, I could probably spend a year or so
                            >> working out
                            >> how to do the same job without using templates. The resulting new
                            >> design MIGHT
                            >> be significantly easier to modify, and perhaps even to maintain, but
                            >> the new
                            >> pages would probably look much the same (I like the way they look
                            >> now!), and I
                            >> very much doubt if the visitor would notice the difference.
                            >> I can see that there are a number of minor improvements I will be
                            >> able to make
                            >> to my sites, once I have mastered php and mysql, but the one major
                            >> incentive I
                            >> have for learning them is that I have a number of photo albums, and it
                            >> will be
                            >> much easier to add new photos once I have set up a database.
                            >> I have already passed my biblical 'use by' date, and I don't feel that
                            >> I have a
                            >> year to throw away just to make my web sites comply with someone
                            >> else's dogma.
                            >> I have a lot more material I would like to add to my various web
                            >> sites, and I
                            >> feel that this would be a much more profitable use of my remaining
                            >> time, to say
                            >> nothing of it being much more fun.
                            >>
                            >>
                            >> Clancy
                            >
                            >
                            >

--
                            seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                            • 11. Re: Converting from HTML to php
                              Level 7
                              Yeah. Clancy only wants to hear his truth....

No offense, Clancy, but my dogma beats your dogma.

--
                              Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                              Adobe Community Expert
                              ==================
                              ==================

"(_seb_)" <seb@webtrans1.com> wrote in message
                              news:ehkr4g$l2d$2@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > sorry for the dogma. I'll stop
                              >
                              > (_seb_) wrote:
                              >> I sure do get your point. learning all that stuff is rather boring in
                              >> itself. That's what I've told myself for years, until I dived into PHP
                              >> (with a book at first, but now I just go to
                              >> http://us3.php.net/manual/en/) whenever I need to learn something new.
                              >>
                              >> Once I did, and once I managed to setup a local testing server on my
                              >> machine, I was surprised at how easy it was to learn the basic stuff that
                              >> allows content architecture management. It took me about two weeks to
                              >> learn the most useful techniques (how to generate html code with php, how
                              >> to include remote files, how to use arrays, how to use conditionals).
                              >>
                              >> Now that I know that, I enjoy building websites much more, and I can do
                              >> it much faster. For one thing, you say you have 'a total of 300 to 400
                              >> pages'. That's a problem with static sites. Pages number has become an
                              >> irrelevant concept since I use PHP. My sites rarely have more than 10
                              >> 'pages', even if the visitor can navigate through vast ammounts of
                              >> content. Because PHP templates allow me to generate pages on the fly,
                              >> depending on what content needs to be displayed, so I can add content
                              >> without having to build new pages... That's a lot of fun to build sites
                              >> that way. I also can offer much more to my clients in terms of
                              >> flexibility and content management, which allows me to charge them
                              >> more... Website maintenance is a breeze. If I had known what
                              >> possibilities it would open and how it would optimize my workflow, I
                              >> wouldn't have waited so long to dive into it.
                              >>
                              >> But of course there is a time for everything. I just couldn't recommend
                              >> anything more than learning a server-side language, to anybody who wants
                              >> to make a living of webdesign (and have fun doing it).
                              >>
                              >> Clancy wrote:
                              >>
                              >>> "(_seb_)" <seb@webtrans1.com> wrote:
                              >>>
                              >>>
                              >>>> if you use PHP I don't see why you would use Dreamweaver templates.
                              >>>> You can do with PHP more, better, and fatser in terms of content
                              >>>> architecture (i.e. really functional templates) than what DM templates
                              >>>> can do. AND, your dynamic PHP templates won't be dependent on
                              >>>> Dreamweaver's UI.
                              >>>
                              >>>
                              >>>
                              >>> I have been working on my several web sites for about four years now,
                              >>> and
                              >>> probably have a total of 300 to 400 pages. These work, I think they
                              >>> look
                              >>> attractive, and user feedback has been favorable. If I had nothing
                              >>> better to do, I could probably spend a year or so working out
                              >>> how to do the same job without using templates. The resulting new
                              >>> design MIGHT
                              >>> be significantly easier to modify, and perhaps even to maintain, but the
                              >>> new
                              >>> pages would probably look much the same (I like the way they look now!),
                              >>> and I
                              >>> very much doubt if the visitor would notice the difference.
                              >>> I can see that there are a number of minor improvements I will be able
                              >>> to make
                              >>> to my sites, once I have mastered php and mysql, but the one major
                              >>> incentive I
                              >>> have for learning them is that I have a number of photo albums, and it
                              >>> will be
                              >>> much easier to add new photos once I have set up a database. I have
                              >>> already passed my biblical 'use by' date, and I don't feel that I have a
                              >>> year to throw away just to make my web sites comply with someone else's
                              >>> dogma.
                              >>> I have a lot more material I would like to add to my various web sites,
                              >>> and I
                              >>> feel that this would be a much more profitable use of my remaining time,
                              >>> to say
                              >>> nothing of it being much more fun.
                              >>>
                              >>>
                              >>> Clancy
                              >>
                              >>
                              >>
                              >
                              >
                              > --
                              > seb ( ---@webtrans1.com)
                              > http://webtrans1.com | high-end web design
                              > Downloads: Slide Show, Directory Browser, Mailing List