4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 7:00 AM by Newsgroup_User

strange problems with components

Level 7
      I wrote an online networking tool last year with flash 8 which used quite a
      few components (datagrids, combo boxes) and all worked well with around 2000
      users experiencing no real problems at all.

I have now rebranded the interface and posted it online for a new client,
      still published with flash 8 but now I am getting complaints from people
      that they cannot use the combo boxes. They simply don't work, or 1 person
      sent a screenshot with the dropdown of the combo box appearing in the wrong
      place, and not working.

We have tested the software with windows xp and vista and various browsers
      and flash player versions but can't recreate it.

Any ideas would be HUGELY appreciated!

• 1. Re: strange problems with components
          clbeech Level 3
          here a thought, perhap you have used 'getNextHighestDepth()' within your code somewhere? it does say that this using this method can 'sometimes' cause incorrect or out of range depths to be returned when AS2 components are present. just a though :)
          • 2. Re: strange problems with components
            Level 7
            Thanks for the reply

I have checked my code and there is 1 instance of getNextHighestDepth but
            that is not on any screen that has shown the problems. Do you have any
            experience of this or a similar problem, and could getNextHighestDepth still
            be causing the error even if the components causing the problems are not on
            screen at that time?

Thanks

"clbeech" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gf1fvf$91b$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > here a thought, perhap you have used 'getNextHighestDepth()' within your
            > code
            > somewhere? it does say that this using this method can 'sometimes' cause
            > incorrect or out of range depths to be returned when AS2 components are
            > present. just a though :)
            >

• 3. Re: strange problems with components
              Devendran Level 1
              If your SWF file includes a version 2 component, use the version 2 components' DepthManager class instead of the MovieClip.getNextHighestDepth() method.
              • 4. Re: strange problems with components
                Level 7
                Thanks for replying.

The error occurs on pages that have components on them but have no reference
                to getNextHighestDepth(), although there is 1 line of code in the flash file
                that has getNextHighestDepth(). Does this still potentially cause the error.

I only ask because I can't reproduce the problem.

"Devendran" <devendran83@gmail.com> wrote in message
                news:gf9d8m$1gc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > If your SWF file includes a version 2 component, use the version 2
                > components' DepthManager class instead of the
                > MovieClip.getNextHighestDepth() method.
                >