1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 5:19 AM by Newsgroup_User

identical pages with different names on website

just_carly
      Hi, I've recently put up a new website which completely replaces the old one. I'm about to delete all the old pages off the server, but I notice they're still coming up on google. Is it bad practise to replace the old pages with my new ones, and leave two copies of the page on the server but with different names? Eg, the new page about restaurants and entertainment is called "restaurants_entertainment.html" but the old page is just called "restaurants.html". So I was thinking I could save my new page as 'restaurants.html' and put it onto the server as well, so that when users click on the search results they get taken to the new restaurant page and not the old one. I'm thinking this is not a good thing to do? just wanting confirmation from the experts...
        • 1. Re: identical pages with different names on website
          Level 7
          It's best, whenever possible, to give your new pages the same filename as
          your old pages -- so that basically, you're just replacing the content on
          each page.

If that's not possible, you need to 301 redirect from the old pages to the
          new pages, e.g., redirect from restaurants.html to
          restaurants_entertainment.html, so that when people click on the "old page"
          in Google, or from their bookmarks, or in a link on another site, they will
          end up at your new page.

--
          Sonjay

On 11/9/08 7:44 PM, "just_carly" wrote:

> Hi, I've recently put up a new website which completely replaces the old one.
          > I'm about to delete all the old pages off the server, but I notice they're
          > still coming up on google. Is it bad practise to replace the old pages with
          > my
          > new ones, and leave two copies of the page on the server but with different
          > names? Eg, the new page about restaurants and entertainment is called
          > "restaurants_entertainment.html" but the old page is just called
          > "restaurants.html". So I was thinking I could save my new page as
          > 'restaurants.html' and put it onto the server as well, so that when users
          > click
          > on the search results they get taken to the new restaurant page and not the
          > old
          > one. I'm thinking this is not a good thing to do? just wanting confirmation
          > from the experts...
          >