4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2006 1:47 PM by ntsiii

Dialog box architecture

Andrew Sinning Level 1
      I'm playing around with the idea of building a web-based application using FB2. There could be over a hundred possible dialog boxes in the final application. My thinking is that I would place the dialog boxes in a ViewStack and activate them as needed using AS logic. Is this the best approach? Is this going to slow down the Design view to a crawl?

What does an inactive child container in a ViewStack do prior to being activated? Is it loaded into memory? Does it respond to events? Does it invoke in data binding or does it remain idle?

I am approaching this from a Flash perspective, so this is all a bit confusing to me.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Dialog box architecture
          kimbflex

a viewstack would work although if you have an indefinable number dialog boxes to show you are probably better off creating them at runtime. Look at the titleWindow and popupManager examples in Flex help, i think there's a demo of how to do this in there

hth

• 2. Re: Dialog box architecture
            Andrew Sinning Level 1
            Does anyone have any insight into the following elements of my question:

What does an inactive child container in a ViewStack do prior to being activated? Is it loaded into memory? Does it respond to events? Does it invoke in data binding or does it remain idle?

Thanks.
            • 3. Re: Dialog box architecture
              ntsiii Level 3
              Actually, a viewstack will be a very efficient way to do this becuase it uses deferred instantiation. The child views are not rendered at all until they are viewed. Thus it will not respond to events, and bindings will only be executed when it has been viewed.

After the first viewing it will behave normally. This solution will work very well, especially if, during any particular session, a user only experiences a subset of the entire list.

Do not set creationPolicy="all", that defeats deferred instantiation.

Tracy
              • 4. Re: Dialog box architecture
                ntsiii Level 3
                And this is not a Flex Builder question so it should go in the "General Discussion"f orum.