2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2008 9:30 PM by ArunKaza

CS4 fonts

johngordon12 Level 1
      Am just looking at CS4, and have a question about fonts - when opening existing .pngs with text I've been getting messages about the legacy text having to be updated.

I've ended up with some text that doesn't match as well as it should, even though the font is the same - an example is the 'E-book readers' heading on the pages here :

old heading text

new heading text

It was originally worse than that, but that's as close as I've been able to get it - if anyone could shed some light on this it would be appreciated - otherwise I might need to do all the headings again with CS4 versions!
        • 1. Re: CS4 fonts
          pixlor Level 4
          For CS4, Adobe removed the Macromedia text engine and replaced it with the Adobe text engine.

If you look at the forum, though, you'll see that there are some problems cropping up with the transplant of the Adobe text engine into Fireworks. As a sampler: some fonts that appear to work fine in Photoshop cause Fireworks to fail to load; some text actions cause the text element to be displaced from its bounding box; some text actions cause the text element to move across the canvas.

Adobe reps have been responding, requesting files so that they can troubleshoot the issues.

• 2. Re: CS4 fonts
            ArunKaza Adobe Employee
            Fireworks CS4 now has the new Adobe Text engine which renders the fonts with a look more closer to Photoshop.
            Thus some of the fonts can look slightly different when rendered on the canvas than it used to be in previous versions of Fireworks.

Please have a look at the following tutorial which can be of some use while working with text engine in FWCS4.
            Article on Adobe Text Engine

--Arun

quote:

Originally posted by: Iain71
            I've ended up with some text that doesn't match as well as it should, even though the font is the same - an example is the 'E-book readers' heading on the pages here :
            old heading text
            new heading text