2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2008 9:35 AM by Newsgroup_User

DIV TAGS for LAYOUT?

jlharville
      Hello all,

I am new to dreamweaver, and have but a simple question. I am trying to use DIV tags to create my banner, sidebars, and footers and so on. Is this an appropriate way to build a web layout?

Also, i will make a DIV tag for the banner, set the position height and width, and then for the two sidebars. And I will put simple text in each of them just to represent what they are. So in the banner box, I put banner, in the sidebar box, I put sidebar 1 and 2.

Then when I clicked preview page, they all overlapped eachother and they were not where I first put them on the page.

Any help please?
        • 1. Re: DIV TAGS for LAYOUT?
          Level 7
          jlharville wrote:
          > Hello all,
          >
          > I am new to dreamweaver, and have but a simple question. I am trying to use
          > DIV tags to create my banner, sidebars, and footers and so on. Is this an
          > appropriate way to build a web layout?

Yes, but not the way you are doing it. You are using absolutely
          positioned layer <divs> which won't work UNLESS you know their limitations.

> Also, i will make a DIV tag for the banner, set the position height and width,
          > and then for the two sidebars. And I will put simple text in each of them just
          > to represent what they are. So in the banner box, I put banner, in the sidebar
          > box, I put sidebar 1 and 2.

>
          > Then when I clicked preview page, they all overlapped eachother and they were
          > not where I first put them on the page.

That's the way absolutely positioned layer <divs> work, so it's why you
          shouldn't use them to construct your site.

Sounds like you have limited to no knowledge of using <divs> and css to
          create websites so for now I would use a simple table construction. Any
          reason why you are not?

• 2. Re: DIV TAGS for LAYOUT?
            Level 7
            http://apptools.com/examples/pagelayout101.php

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"jlharville" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gfcb9e$4h2$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello all,
            >
            > I am new to dreamweaver, and have but a simple question. I am trying to
            > use
            > DIV tags to create my banner, sidebars, and footers and so on. Is this an
            > appropriate way to build a web layout?
            >
            > Also, i will make a DIV tag for the banner, set the position height and
            > width,
            > and then for the two sidebars. And I will put simple text in each of them
            > just
            > to represent what they are. So in the banner box, I put banner, in the
            > sidebar
            > box, I put sidebar 1 and 2.
            >
            > Then when I clicked preview page, they all overlapped eachother and they
            > were
            > not where I first put them on the page.
            >
            > Any help please?
            >