7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2009 9:46 PM by EWN-CMI

the default green 'preloader'

cdub Level 1
      I'm wondering if there is an easy way to change the color of the default flex preloader screen. The one that appears all by itself before the app loads. That green one doesn't match my red and white site very well. Is there an easy way to change it to white?
        • 1. Re: the default green 'preloader'
          Level 7

"cdub" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gf88h6$ddb$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > I'm wondering if there is an easy way to change the color of the default
          > flex
          > preloader screen. The one that appears all by itself before the app loads.
          > That
          > green one doesn't match my red and white site very well. Is there an easy
          > way
          > to change it to white?

http://www.onflex.org/ted/2006/07/flex-2-preloaders-swf-png-gif-examples.php

• 2. Re: the default green 'preloader'
            cdub Level 1
            Thanks for getting back to me. I'm not sure what I did wrong but but I put the folder in the src directory and added preloader="preload.CustomPreloader" to the application tag. What it does is quickly flash a green screen, then goes to a blank white screen, and once the app is loaded the image appears over the top of it. Not quite what it's supposed to do, what am I doing wrong?
            • 3. Re: the default green 'preloader'
              bholli Level 1
              cdub,

You can alter the color of the load screen by altering the backgroundGradientColors and backgroundGradientAlphas of your main flex application. The attached code will give your application a load screen with a white background.
              • 4. the default green 'preloader'
                cdub Level 1
                Hmm, the main screen of the application is white but it still displays the default green screen before the app loads. Is there a way to just change the defaut flex preloader (the green screen with the load progress indicator) to white?
                • 5. Re: the default green 'preloader'
                  EWN-CMI Level 1
                  I would also like to know the answer to this one. I have a preloader set up - but the default Flex (grey) blank page loads first for a second or two and then my preloader shows up. Is there any way of fixing this?
                  • 6. Re: the default green 'preloader'
                    rtalton Level 4
                    @cdub: Set both the application's backgroundGradientColors and the backgroundGradientAlphas. Also set the application's backgroundColor="#FFFFFF".
                    @EWN-CMI: Set the application's backgroundColor="#FFFFFF".

@cdub: To test a preloader, you should embed a very large file into your app so the preloader has something to do. Get a large MP3 file for example, and in the script block of your main app, add something like this:
                    //Next two lines are for testing preloader ONLY:
                    [Embed("assets/sounds/file1.mp3") ];
                    public var file0:Class;

This embeds and uses a 10MB MP3 file I created. Huge.

Once you test it, remember to clear your browser cache before the next test, or the MP3 will load instantly---no preloader.

Happy New Year, everybody!
                    • 7. Re: the default green 'preloader'
                      EWN-CMI Level 1
                      Below is my Application tag. My app currently shows the default "grey" page around 6 seconds without a Loading icon and then my preloader loads right on top of my app - maybe a second difference. Maybe it is taking that long to load my preloader?

<mx:Application xmlns:mx=" http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml"
                      preloader="preload.CustomPreloader"
                      xmlns:custom="components.*"
                      layout="absolute"
                      xmlns:phi="phi.db.*"
                      backgroundGradientAlphas="[1.0, 1.0]"
                      backgroundGradientColors="[#896C4A, #D3CDB4]"
                      width="100%" height="100%"
                      xmlns:local="*">