Expand my Community achievements bar.

Dive into Adobe Summit 2024! Explore curated list of AEM sessions & labs, register, connect with experts, ask questions, engage, and share insights. Don't miss the excitement.

Unable to open documents with policies

Former Community Member
We are using a test version of the policy server to evaluate the features of the product.

We had some trouble to install the server and to use it with Adobe Professional but now we can protect pdf files with policies. Most of the problems was solved with the help of articles in these forum :-)

Unfortunately we are not able to open the documents with the Adobe Reader :-( Only the computer on which the documents were protected is able to show the files. On all other computers we became the error message

b "Your computer has to be connected to network. Your right to open these document offline is expired."

In German: b "Dieser Computer muss mit dem Netzwerk verbunden sein, um dieses Dokument zu öffnen. Ihre Berechtigung, dieses Dokument offline zu öffnen, ist abgelaufen. Wenn dieser Computer nicht mit dem Netzwerk verbunden ist, stellen sie eine Verbindung her, und versuchen sie erneut, das Dokument zu öffnen."

The policy server is reachable with browser and ssl works.

Reader versions: 7.0.0, 7.0.5, 7.0.8

Regards
10 Replies

Former Community Member
I don't have my server running at the moment, so I can't be super precise on the location of the option, but in the configuration options, there is a field for the server address. This URL is baked into the policy protected PDF and this is the URL it attempts to contact when you open it.

By default I believe it's set to localhost, so you need to change this to be able to open the PDF on another machine. If this URL is not changed correctly you'll see the error message you are getting.

Chris

Adobe Enterprise Developer Support

Former Community Member
Thanks for your answer.

I'm not sure, if the server url is the problem. JBoss is running with the ip address 192.168.2.106 on port 8080. I changed the url in the configuration to http://192.168.2.106:8080. After that the adobe reader shows the error message for "Using insecure protocol".

So I set up SSL properly and changed the url in the configuration to https://192.168.2.106:8443 and the adobe reader works on my pc.

Former Community Member
But it doesn't work on other computers. The web console of the APS is reachable from all pc with ssl on port 8443 and without ssl on port 8080.

But the Adobe Reader is not able to connect the server?

Former Community Member
Dirk_Salecker@adobeforums.com wrote:

> But it doesn't work on other computers. The web console of the APS is reachable from all pc with ssl on port 8443 and without ssl on port 8080.

>

> But the Adobe Reader is not able to connect the server?

When you access the web console via a web browser, do you see any warnings relating to the secure

connection? If you receive a warning or error of any type via the web browser, then you will not be

able to connect from Adobe Reader.

Justin Klei

Cardinal Solutions Group

www.cardinalsolutions.com

Former Community Member
It's been my experience that when you get the "Not Connected to Network" message, it simply means that the client PC doesn't have the certificate of authentication installed.

I suggest that you check to see if the certificate is installed on the PC that's connecting. (In IE, you would click on Tools-Internet Options-Content-Certificates.) Then check a computer that's not connected. If there is no certificate installed, it won't connect. To install a certificate, you must click "View Certificate" immediately after a hitting the page and getting the security dialog warning, then click "Install Certificate."

Hope this helps.

Former Community Member
The other thing to check is that the URL is correctly configured on the server. Login as the administrator to the web console and go to Configuration->Server Configuration and make sure the base URL is correct (i.e., not localhost).

Former Community Member
I'm very new at regarding the policy server. Are you saying that the policy server controls a certificate on the individuals machine? Does that mean that any users of that machine can read a "forbidden" documnt??

Just trying to better understand this.

Thanks in advance,

John

New Orleans

Former Community Member
The certificate is required for secured access to Policy Server. If no certificate is installed, the user cannot connect from that PC. If the certficate is installed, the user will receive a login prompt when trying to open a policied document. Therefore, only users who have registered on policy server AND are using a computer with the certificate installed can access policied documents.

Former Community Member
There was a problem with the ssl certificate. The user installed it with the IE, but it came always a warning message. So I created a new certificate and now it works.

Maybe it works on my computer because policy server and reader runs on the same machine.

Thanks for your help.

Former Community Member
I am not able to open Adobe reader and error msg "The license agreement was not accepted.The application will now quit." is coming, can anyone tell me how to correct this msg.