11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2008 8:05 PM by Newsgroup_User

How to communicate between clients?

yancaoshi Level 1
      Hi all,

Of course it can be done with Flex after I saw the internet meeting room application which is developed by Adobe. And my target is similar with that. One of the client is the host which acts like an info center, while all other clients can read/write data with the host. As far as I know, there is a LocalConnection object. But those clients are located in different areas, how can the share LocalConnection? Or is there another way to achieve my target?
      Any tips and ideas are very appreciated. And the more detail the better.

Thanks and regards,
      Felix
        • 1. Re: How to communicate between clients?
          Level 7

"yancaoshi" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:gflre0$9sk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi all,
          >
          > Of course it can be done with Flex after I saw the internet meeting room
          > application which is developed by Adobe. And my target is similar with
          > that.
          > One of the client is the host which acts like an info center, while all
          > other
          > clients can read/write data with the host. As far as I know, there is a
          > LocalConnection object. But those clients are located in different areas,
          > how
          > can the share LocalConnection? Or is there another way to achieve my
          > target?
          > Any tips and ideas are very appreciated. And the more detail the better.

Google LiveCycle Data Services and BlazeDS.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How to communicate between clients?
            yancaoshi Level 1
            Hi,

Thanks for replying. I have read some documents of BlazeDS. Isn't it mainly used as the mediator between Flex and Java? I don't want to store data to server side or through database. If possible, I hope clients can talk directly via peer2peer connection.
            If you think BlazeDS can meet my requirement, would you please give me some more keywords?

Thank you again!
            yancaoshi
            • 3. Re: How to communicate between clients?
              Level 7

news:gfmmou$fa7$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > Hi,
              >
              > Thanks for replying. I have read some documents of BlazeDS. Isn't it
              > mainly
              > used as the mediator between Flex and Java? I don't want to store data to
              > server side or through database. If possible, I hope clients can talk
              > directly
              > via peer2peer connection.

I don't believe that you can do this without some sort of central data
              repository.

> If you think BlazeDS can meet my requirement, would you please give me
              > some
              > more keywords?

Sorry, this isn't something I have much experience with.

• 4. Re: How to communicate between clients?
                yancaoshi Level 1
                Any suggestion?
                I still haven't found any feasible and convenient implementation.

Thanks all!
                • 5. Re: How to communicate between clients?
                  yancaoshi Level 1
                  Any suggestion?
                  I still haven't found any feasible and convenient implementation.

Thanks all!
                  • 6. Re: How to communicate between clients?
                    atta707 Level 2
                    You'll need a server. BlazeDS is open source free alternative to commercial and more capable LiveCycle Data Services.

And BlazeDS is not *just* bridge between java and flex; it much more especially with its near real time messaging. And that's what you're looking for.

Read and run these demos:

http://coenraets.org/blog/2008/04/yahoo-maps-collaboration-using-flex-and-blazeds/

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/yahoomaps_collaboration.html

and lastly, hit this URL in two separate browsers:

http://coenraets.org/samples/flexmaps/flexmaps.html

login ans start playing!

ATTA
                    • 7. Re: How to communicate between clients?
                      Level 7

news:gg403u$h9e$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > Any suggestion?
                      > I still haven't found any feasible and convenient implementation.

Suggest you adjust your requirement for "convenient" to "possible."

HTH;

Amy

• 8. How to communicate between clients?
                        Ansury Level 3
                        Flex (even AIR) clients can't do that yet. You'll need a server to do this. I really hate this too, and hope Adobe provides this functionality at some point. AIR at least should be able to listen for incoming connections!

There is a way to do this, but it's NOT convenient at all. You'd have to use a bridge like Merapi or Artemis to interact with your own implementation of a Java server. The Java server would listen for the Flex clients and so on. This should be possible but it's not trivial, and I've yet to actually try it (probably will some day).

So harass Adobe to enhance AIR. ^_^
                        1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: How to communicate between clients?
                          yancaoshi Level 1
                          It seems that BlazeDS will be a good option and hope it won't involve too many DB access before I read the documents.

Maybe somebody have experience on chatting application with Flex. Does it use BlazeDS or any third party technology?

And how about LocalConnection? Is it a good solution if all the clients run in a LAN?

I think this is a widely used topic and thanks for all repliers.
                          • 10. Re: How to communicate between clients?
                            Mitek17
                            My opinion will be very unpopular :)
                            I don't like Java as I came from the C++ world and when I had to implement clients communication server, I developed very simple socket server in C++ (3000 lines of code), which is small, robust, reliable and does not serve to Garbage Collector monster. Works currently in production environment for 8 month without memleaks and consumes 80kb in the idle mode.

Of course, there is an option to get Java, BlazeDS (with a limit to a single-core processor?) and try to enjoy.

Cheers,
                            Dmitri.

• 11. Re: How to communicate between clients?
                              Level 7

news:gg55r2$45g$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                              > It seems that BlazeDS will be a good option and hope it won't involve too
                              > many
                              > DB access before I read the documents.
                              >
                              > Maybe somebody have experience on chatting application with Flex. Does it
                              > use
                              > BlazeDS or any third party technology?
                              >
                              > And how about LocalConnection? Is it a good solution if all the clients
                              > run in
                              > a LAN?

I think all the clients would need to be on the same _machine_.