13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2016 11:04 AM by crybka101

Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I

oli84 Level 1
      Today I was working with Dreamweaver CS4 and after adjusting/experimenting with the code options (for example, converting all tabs to spaces) I was unable to enter an upper case I anymore. Each time I hold shift then press i it pastes whatever text is in my clipboard.

Only Dreamweaver is doing this. I haven't changed any language or keyboard related settings on my system (I'm using a Mac with Leopard). I did some Googling and it seems a number of other people have run into this problem as well. I read about one person who gave up and moved to another editor, another who had "copied settings from another computer" to resolve it, and others whose questions were left unanswered.

This is rather frustrating for me as I do a lot of PHP/MySQL work so I am using upper case for queries all the time.

Any assistance is appreciated!
        • 1. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
          Level 7

> Each time I hold shift then press i it pastes
          > whatever text is in my clipboard.

What is assigned to shift+i in dreamweaver->keyboard shortcuts?
          Is it paste?

I think the app thinks you're typing a keyboard shortcut instead of typing I

--
          Alan
          Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 2. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
            Oli in Australia Level 1
            It wasn't actually assigned to anything.

I resolved the problem by removing the command V shortcut for paste, then re-creating that shortcut.

I don't know why that occurred. It just happened again when I restarted Dreamweaver today.
            • 3. Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
              rowalsh Level 1
              Hi All

I am having this exact same problem and it is starting to really grate.

I am using a new iMac (Intel based) an apple wired keyboard, and Dreamweaver CS4 from CS4 Design Preium.

I can fiddle with my keyboard shortcuts to resolve this problem - but it's not long before it happens again.

Any word from Adobe about this?
              • 4. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                rowalsh Level 1
                Hi All

I am having this exact same problem and it is starting to really grate.

I am using a new iMac (Intel based) an apple wired keyboard, and Dreamweaver CS4 from CS4 Design Preium.

I can fiddle with my keyboard shortcuts to resolve this problem - but it's not long before it happens again.

Any word from Adobe about this?
                • 5. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                  Oli in Australia Level 1
                  I ended up having to go into the keyboard shortcuts menu and assign the combo to some other function, then reset all the keyboard shortcuts. Then it fixed the problem. It's happened once or twice again since then, which is pretty annoying...
                  • 6. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                    Alumin Level 1
                    I have deleted the folder "Menus" in "/Application Support/Dreamweaver CS4/de_DE/Configuartion/" and everything was OK.
                    • 7. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                      Alumin Level 1
                      I have deleted the folder "Menus" in "/Application Support/Dreamweaver CS4/de_DE/Configuartion/" and everything was OK.
                      • 8. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                        bBcuda Level 1
                        Hi, all!

Well, I just wanted to add, that the exact same problem also happened to me - in Dreamweaver CS3; I just wanted to add this, to prevent the opinion that the problem is a "bug" new to CS4.

Anyway - this post was very helpful so far - I could solve the problem using the solution that oliau1984oliau gave (remap the Cmd+V-shortcut to paste). However - I didn't yet restart - so I can't say if this problem will appear again... probably I will write again in some days :-)
                        Anyway, I am using CS3 since half a year now - and didn't have the problem until yesterday... which is what puzzles me a bit. Was there an update of CS3, that might have copied bad behaviour from CS4 to the older members of the CS apps (CS3)?

Greetings!
                        Björn
                        • 9. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                          Markus bei Plutonika Level 1

Hi all and hello Adobe, if you're out there.

I have been experiencing the exact same thing for a while now, but wasn't ticked off enough to search the forums - until now. It is more than infuriating that there is not even one short note from Adobe on the malfunction of such a fundamental feature. Keyboard shortcuts are much more vital to productivity than all the bells and whistle designed to trick us into expensive upgrades every two years.

I'm not a programmer, but one can assume that getting an app not to forget and mess up keyboard shortcuts is one of the simpler things to do. So what's up Adobe? Even Microsoft apps do a better job at this than the adobefied Macromedia flagship products (this is also happening in FW and Flash)!

Give me and the others some attention! We've all been spending a fortune on you guys year after year.

Markus

• 10. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                            TheBlackMamba Level 1

Using the response from oliau1984oliau, I made a slight modification to those instructions that seems to work for now.

Go to Keyboard Shortcuts (Dreamweaver<Keyboard Shortcuts)
                            Under the "Commands" dropdown menu go to "Code Editing".
                            Scroll down until you see "Paste 2" which has the shortcut Shift + Ins.
                            Delete this shortcut by highlighting "Paste 2" and then press the minus sign next to "Shortcuts".

This helped me.  Problem could be a Mac Standard keyboard issue since, I believe, the PC keyboard has an "Ins" key but the Mac does not.  Perhaps Dreamweaver CS4 can't distinguish the "Ins" for "i" on the Mac keyboard.

• 11. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                              Orangeforlife Level 1

In Dreamweaver CS4 there is no Paste2 option - so does that mean I'm out of luck and will have to switch to another program to write code? -- this is very frustrating!

I've done it all, remapped my cmd+V option, and also gotten rid of my configuration folder and still I have this issue!

• 12. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                                jxlusa Level 2

Try This:

Make sure that you don;t have Shift+Ins in your keyboard shortcuts as suggested above. Then...

Go to Your hard-drive

>Users > YourUserName > Library >Applications Support > Adobe > Dreamweaver 9 (or 10 or whatever) > Configuration > Menus > menus.xml

The hard part may be finding the right User Library depending on how your machine is set up.

In that file (menus.xml)  do a search for:

shortcut key="Shift+Ins"

you will find it on two lines.

You can safly delete both entire lines of code.

The full entries are:

<shortcut key="Shift+Ins"        command="if (dw.canClipPaste()) { dw.clipPaste() }" platform="win" id="DWShortcuts_Edit_Paste" />

and
                                    <shortcut key="Shift+Ins" name="Paste2" platform="" command="if (dw.canClipPaste()) { dw.clipPaste() }" domRequired="FALSE" id="DWShortcuts_HTMLSource_Paste2" />

Since you are not deleting the file itself, Dreamweaver will not rebuild it. (at least it didn't for me....)

1 person found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Shift i pastes, can't get an upper case I
                                  crybka101 Level 1

Thank you jxlusa, did just that, but first only commented out the 2nd shortcut "Paste2" and it worked.

Solved on the user end, not on Adobe's