7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2008 4:58 AM by johngordon12

Vector Images from iStockphoto

johngordon12 Level 1
      Just wondering if I should be able to open and edit vector images from iStockphoto in Fireworks?

Like this one :

example vector image

Or do I need Photoshop?

Cheers.
        • 1. Re: Vector Images from iStockphoto
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          Those should come from iStock in the EPS format. From the Fireworks help file:

Fireworks opens most EPS files, such as Photoshop EPS files, as flattened bitmap images, in which all objects are combined on a single layer. Some EPS files exported from Illustrator, however, retain their vector information.

When you open or import most EPS files, the EPS File Options dialog box opens.

Image Size

determines the image dimensions and the units in which the image is rendered. You can select from pixels, percent, inches, and centimeters.

Resolution

indicates the pixels per unit for the resolution.

Constrain Proportions

opens the file in the same proportions as the original.

Anti-aliased

smoothes jagged edges in the opened EPS file.

When you open or import Illustrator EPS files that contain vector information, the Vector File Options dialog box opens. This is the same dialog box that appears when you open or import FreeHand files.

• 2. Re: Vector Images from iStockphoto
            johngordon12 Level 1
            Thanks Joey - unfortunately this one is just giving error messages and won't open :

Could not complete your request - an internal error occurred.

(It was an eps file)

Any ideas?
            • 3. Re: Vector Images from iStockphoto
              JoeDaSilva Level 4
              Do you have access to Illustrator? If so you could open it there and then copy and paste (that's what I do most often). Also, did you try to open or import the file? Try importing if you were attempting to open.
              • 4. Re: Vector Images from iStockphoto
                johngordon12 Level 1
                Same error unfortunately. I don't have Illustrator - just DW and FW. Will look out for the CS4 trials I guess.
                • 5. Re: Vector Images from iStockphoto
                  johngordon12 Level 1
                  Well, I had a rummage, and found the CS3 trial for Illustrator - but during the installation it prompted me to insert the disk for FW CS4.

Which kinda threw me...?
                  • 6. Re: Vector Images from iStockphoto
                    Sarthak Singhal Adobe Employee
                    Well, I would advice you to uninstall all CS4 products and then install all CS3 products.

After that proceed with the CS4 installations. I am afraid but this seems to be the only solution right now.

You could export the EPS file as an AI file and open it in Fireworks or a copy paste as suggested. Can you also try a re-download of the image and open in Fireworks CS4 once again.
                    • 7. Re: Vector Images from iStockphoto
                      johngordon12 Level 1
                      OK. I only recently upgraded to DW CS3, and had a look at the beta of CS4, and also the two day trial of FW CS4 beta, so I guess I could try uninstalling them from my system and see what that does.