5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2008 12:34 AM by Robert Hirst

Secuity of PDF

Is it secure to send a PDF through email? By this I mean is it possible for a hacker to get information from a PDF?
        • 1. Re: Secuity of PDF
          Robert Hirst Level 1
          As I understand it:

If you can open the PDF without a password then so can anyone who intercepts the message.

If there is a password, then the PDF will require a dictionary and or brute-force break, but provided that the password is not a common word or too short this may take some time.

Rights Management ES offers the highest level of security, and it's a fairly safe bet that a PDF would be useless if anyone intercepted it.
          • 2. Re: Secuity of PDF
            Hodmi Level 4
            It really depends on the security applied to the PDF itself. If the PDF has no security, and the email itself is not secure then someone may be able to read it (just like any other attachment).

You can use Acrobat or LiveCycle to apply password protection to the PDF, or you can apply Digital Rights Management based encryption. It really depends on your infrastructure and user audience
            • 3. Re: Secuity of PDF
              Question - appreciate your patience, I'm a bit of a novice. I am trying to find out if I can convert a "for sale" print product (e.g. report etc) to a PDF and protect and prevent it from distribution and/or downloading?
              • 4. Re: Secuity of PDF
                (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                You can protect something from downloading by not putting it on a
                public web site. That's all. That may sound a smartass answer, but the
                way a PDF file is viewed is that first it is downloaded, then read. So
                every file you look at is downloaded.

Aandi Inston
                • 5. Re: Secuity of PDF
                  Robert Hirst Level 1
                  I'd suggest investigating the ADEPT platform, may be useful if you are producing a paid publication:

http://www.adobe.com/products/adept/

I've never used the service so I can't say how suitable it would be, but it seems to be aimed at your requirement.