14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 10, 2006 9:46 AM by C. Agruss (Adobe)

Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!

habdou Level 1
      Hi All,
      FB2 is crashing during installation, Ctrl Alt Del doesn't do it, I have to hard boot, sometimes even getting the Windows Blue screen error during the installations, this happened to me before with Beta 3 but I won the battle by deleting all refs from windows registry and few more tweaking.
      This time I think I am losing the battle because I did the same thing uninstalling FB2_B3 and removing anything that deals with Flex Builder in windows Registry and any directory that B3 might have left on. Before installing I stopped the CF Server, Stopped the Antivirus software and still the same crash
      Any help will be appreciated!

Angelo
        • 1. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
          DavidBPrice
          Don't know if this will help you or not.. My install crashed as well. The next time I tried I told it to unpack into a directory different then the default it uses and it installed to completion without problems.
          • 2. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
            C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3
            Hi Angelo,

I'm sorry the installer isn't working for you. David's suggestion of unpacking and installing into non-default folders is a good one, for avoiding conflicts with beta versions that might still be on your disk.

If that doesn't work, please let me know and we can dig deeper to resolve the problem on that machine.

-C. Agruss, Flex Builder Team
            • 3. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
              Cookonium
              I had the same issue yesterday. It seemed like as I tried once the installation began

My system ended up crashing+blue screening. This is unacceptable for a trial version installation and should definitely be resolved... it could make or break an opportunity for Flex 2 to really shine for a huge web app in an upcoming design... I will try the workaround tonight in the meantime.
              • 4. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                Hi Cookonium,

These are the first reports of blue-screening we've had, in all these many months of beta releases. Please send me as much info as you can on this, and I'll work with you to get it resolved.

Here are things that will help the most:
                - which version of Windows are you running - Win2K vs WinXP vs ??
                - during which phase of the installation are you seeing the crash - before or after you're prompted for whether to install the Standalone vs Plugin version?
                - if you got that far, which version were you installing - Standalone or Plugin?

Finally, if the installer had actually initiated beyond the unpacking stage, you should find an installer log in your system temp folder (i.e. wherever you have %TEMP envvar pointing). Would you please send me that installer log, if you have one?

Thanks very much,

C. Agruss, Flex Builder Team

• 5. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                  habdou Level 1
                  Thanks DavidBPrice & ChrisAg for you input however...
                  I just tried unpacking it into another directory, its still crashing in the installation.
                  Still have to hard boot.
                  What would be the name of the log file if any, because I couldn't see any log file in C:\Windows\Temp
                  My System:
                  AMD FX 57 64bit, running on 32bit, with 2GB Ram, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.

• 6. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                    quote:

Originally posted by: Angelosalsa
                    Thanks DavidBPrice & ChrisAg for you input however...
                    I just tried unpacking it into another directory, its still crashing in the installation.
                    Still have to hard boot.
                    What would be the name of the log file if any, because I couldn't see any log file in C:\Windows\Temp
                    My System:
                    AMD FX 57 64bit, running on 32bit, with 2GB Ram, Windows Server 2003 Enterprise.

Hi Angelo,

I just sent you a follow-up email with some more detailed questions, under separate cover. Let's troubleshoot this offline, and then I'll post back to this forum after we find the solution.

If anyone else is still seeing similar problems, here's the gist of what I asked Angelo for:

A few other questions to help narrow this down:
                    - Were you trying to install Standalone or Plugin (or did you get far enough in the installation to respond to that prompt)?
                    - How far does the installer get, exactly, before it crashes? What’s the last screen you saw before it crashed?
                    - If you look in your windows folder, you should see a folder named \Downloaded Installations\Adobe Flex Builder 2\. Does that folder exist, and if so, how big is it if you right click the folder and get its Properties?

The temp folder by default is in your local profile, or wherever you have the environment variable "temp" mapped to. If you open a command prompt and type in “set”, it will show you all your envvars, including the path to temp. The name of the log file will be something like – Adobe_Flex_Builder_2_InstallLog.log

If you can find that log file, will you please send it to me?

Thanks,

• 7. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                      The info Angelo sent me offline was very useful, as it identifies the problem as happening during the very first unzipping step. The outer wrapper of the installer is a self-extracting zip file, but from the info he gave me, I think that it’s crashing during self-extraction. I've asked him to replace that with manual unzipping of the archive, to see if that resolves the crash.

If you're having a similar problem, here's an alternate set of steps to use:

1. Instead of double-clicking the installer, right-click it and extract it with one of the WinZip context menu options. If you don’t have WinZip installed, you could use a free open source unzip utility, such as InfoZip - http://www.info-zip.org/

2. After it unzips, go to the folder where you’ve extracted it, and double-click the file named “Install Flex Builder 2.bat”

C.Agruss, Flex Builder Team
                      • 8. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                        Update: I heard back from Angelo that unzipping the installer manually, and running it as described in my last post worked for him. If any of you are having similar problems getting past the self-extracting zip stage, I recommend using the same solution.

Happy Flexing,

• 9. Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                          Cookonium Level 1
                          I don't think my original message was clear: when I run the batch file after extracting the files manually it won't work. It crashes. It actually doesn't even load the interface screen. All I see Adobe Flex 2 Builder in the top left hand corner of the window title. It will stay here overnight if I let it. When I try to run the Flex 2 standalone installation file, it does the same thing: comes to the window again the pauses infinitely... showing nothing but grey. If I try and end the process my system freezes.

I did some legwork on my own and I believe the issue has something to do with the Javascript or Java 2 Runtime Environment because as soon as I try to end the javaw.exe process when the installation is attempting to run the system locks up.

The Flex 2 Builder installs perfectly on my notebook... however I'm not going to be using this for development /execution purposes.

Is there any way to work around the bad installation inferface and all the java code? Any manual way to install it? Does this have anything to do with having a 64-bit processor? (this is not x64 Windows either by the way).

Any suggestions/fixes would be great, I don't want to reboot my X2 any more for this problem... please advise. I have also installed the latest version of Java 2 Runtime Environment.
                          • 10. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                            quote:

Originally posted by: Cookonium
                            I don't think my original message was clear: when I run the batch file after extracting the files manually it won't work. It crashes. It actually doesn't even load the interface screen. All I see Adobe Flex 2 Builder in the top left hand corner of the window title. It will stay here overnight if I let it. When I try to run the Flex 2 standalone installation file, it does the same thing: comes to the window again the pauses infinitely... showing nothing but grey. If I try and end the process my system freezes.

I did some legwork on my own and I believe the issue has something to do with the Javascript or Java 2 Runtime Environment because as soon as I try to end the javaw.exe process when the installation is attempting to run the system locks up.

The Flex 2 Builder installs perfectly on my notebook... however I'm not going to be using this for development /execution purposes.

Is there any way to work around the bad installation inferface and all the java code? Any manual way to install it? Does this have anything to do with having a 64-bit processor? (this is not x64 Windows either by the way).

Any suggestions/fixes would be great, I don't want to reboot my X2 any more for this problem... please advise. I have also installed the latest version of Java 2 Runtime Environment.

Hello Cookonium,

The solution I posted before was for Angelo's situation, as he was getting stuck at the self-extracting zip stage. It sounds as if the problem you're seeing is completely different.

The installer is written with InstallAnywhere, a java-based IDE that allows us to deploy on many platforms, so there's no easy way to avoid running the installer with java. I'm confident that we can find a workaround for you though.

In your case, one possibility is that you have a corrupted copy of the installer on that machine. If you check the number of bytes in the file you're trying to run on that box, what number do you see?

If that's not the root of it, my next guess is that it has something to do with your configuration. You mention having a 64-bit processor, but that you're not running a 64-bit OS. Here are some more details that will help:
                            - what's your exact processor configuration?
                            - which OS are you using (including any service packs)?
                            - do you have a default system Java Runtime Environment configured? In other words, if you open a command window, and type "java -version", what response do you get?
                            - did you have any beta versions of Flex Builder installed previously on that machine?
                            - if you look in the temp folder I mentioned earlier in this thread, do you find an installation log that you can send me?

I'll send you an email offline too, so that's it will be easier for you to send me your log file, if you find one.

• 11. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                              Update: cookonium sent me some configuration info a couple of days ago in a message I hadn't seen until today. We'll work on a solution offline, and I'll post back to the list with the results.

• 12. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                                As it turns out, Cookonium dropped this thread before confirming whether he had a corrupt copy of the installer, but based on the symptoms he was seeing, I think this is very likely. We saw the same error during the Alpha and Beta cycle if the installer download hadn't completed fully.

• 13. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                                  Cookonium Level 1
                                  I don't think this is the case as I have downloaded it 3x on this system now in the past two weeks and run the installation to 3 seperate folders.
                                  • 14. Re: Installing FlexBuilder 2 fails!
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: Cookonium
                                    I don't think this is the case as I have downloaded it 3x on this system now in the past two weeks and run the installation to 3 seperate folders.

Sorry that I jumped to the wrong conclusion, and misinterpreted your lack of reply for the past week. I sent you my email address back then, asking you to send me your installation log file (this will have a name like this: Adobe_Flex_Builder_2_InstallLog.log), so if you'll locate that log file in your temp folder and send it, I'll keep working on this with you.

Earlier on, you asked if there's any way to avoid using java with the Flex Builder installer. There is a manual procedure for doing this, but it takes quite a large number of steps. In the end, you still need to use Java for running Eclipse, so unless that machine can run java apps reliably, it's not going to do much good to run through the manual steps. Are you able to download and run Eclipse 3.1.2 on that same machine?