11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2008 12:34 AM by (Prabudass)

How to import XMP metadata in pdf

Level 1
      Could you please explain me, how to import XMP metadata in pdf file through "Live Cycle ES"?
        • 1. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
          Hodmi Level 4
          There is a service called "XMPUtilities" that has an operation called ImportXMP (its under Common if you are using the workbench). With this operation you pass in the PDF document and the XMP data (as a com.adobe.idp.Document object). The result is a PDF with the meta data.
          • 2. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
            Level 1
            Thanks for your swift response. Is it possible to import the XMP metadata through "XMPUtilities" using watch folder concept. Please explain little more about "as a com.adobe.idp.Document object".
            • 3. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
              Hodmi Level 4
              Yes, with LiveCycle ES (almost) all services can be invoked from any of the available endpoints (watch folder, EJB, WebService, etc).

In this case since the ImportXMP requires two input files (the PDF and the XMP) you will need to drop a directory containing both of your files into the watch folder (not the individual files). This is because several requests can be dropped into the watch folder at the same time and without the sub directories LiveCycle couldn't tell what XMP when with what PDF.

A com.adobe.idp.Document - AKA: Document - object is one of the common object types used across all LiveCycle products. When you deal with PDFs and many other binary file objects they are stored a Document object. It is more important that you know this when using Workbench, web services or the Java API.

You should have a look at the documentation at: http://livedocs.adobe.com/livecycle/8.2/programLC/programmer/help/001553.html
              • 4. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
                Level 1
                Thanks for your support.
                • 5. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
                  Level 1
                  I could not find the watch folder concept for "XMPUtilities" service in "Live Cycle ES". Kindly advice me.
                  • 6. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
                    Level 1
                    We are using Live Cycle ES Components "PDF Generator ES" and "Reader Extensions ES".

We need to import XMP Metadata in the pdf file through watchfolder. I searched the watchfolder concept in "XMPUtilityService". But i could not find it. So i created a name XMP through workbench for to import XMP Metadata in the pdf file, but i dont know where to set the "input parameter" and "output parameter" variable through workbench. Could you please explain me the flow. Kindly help me.

Thanks,
                    Prabudass.
                    maria.prabudass@gmail.com
                    • 7. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
                      Hodmi Level 4
                      Some of the base LiveCycle services are not directly available in all endpoints (XMPUtilities as a watchfolder is one). To use it as a watch folder you will need to create your own process and map your own variables to it.

Create a short-lived process and drop the Import XMP operation into it. Create 3 new Document variables - 1. The input pdf, 2. the XMP data file and 3. the resulting PDF. Use these 3 variables as the Input PDF, Input XMP and Output PDF parameters in the process respectively.

Activate that workflow process and then create a watch folder end point using admin UI.
                      • 8. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
                        Level 1
                        Thanks for your great response. As per your advice, i created a "short-lived process" through workbench, but i don't know where to drop the "Import XMP operation" into it and also i need to know how to create new document variables. Could you please explain little more. Its more usefull for me.

Thanks,
                        Prabudass
                        maria.prabudass@gmail.com
                        • 9. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
                          Hodmi Level 4
                          It looks like you need some pretty basic help with the LiveCycle ES Workbench tool (I can understand how it can be a bit daunting the first time in).

There is a good document on LiveDocs that walks you through the creation of a workflow including variables and process elements:

http://www.adobe.com/go/learn_lc_firstApplication_82
                          • 10. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
                            Level 1
                            Thanks for your response. As per your advice i sets 3 variables as the Input PDF, Input XMP and Output PDF. But i don't know which "Service" and "Operation" is used to "Define activity" for workbench. Could you please explain me the flow and process.
                            • 11. Re: How to import XMP metadata in pdf
                              Level 1
                              I found out solution. Thanks for all supports.

Thanks,
                              Prabudass