5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2008 4:48 AM by (Aandi_Inston)

Search Text.  Any API?

Level 1
      Adobe Acrobat can do search for a text but this is done in GUI. Is there any API support in Adobe LifeCycle to do search for a text and return the location of this text in the PDF file?

Thanks a lot for your help.
        • 1. Search Text. Any API?
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          I'm not sure such an API would belong in the LiveCycle Document Output
          product. What would it do there?

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: Search Text.  Any API?
            Level 1
            I need to search a text string in a PDF file or a page of PDF file to get the location of this text string, say (x, y, width, height)? Not sure what fourum is preoper to post this question.

• 3. Search Text. Any API?
              (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
              Depends on the product. But to choose the product, you need to answer
              one question: is this something to happen on
              * A server
              * A computer for an end user who has purchased Acrobat Professional,
              and nobody else
              * Something else

Aandi Inston
              • 4. Re: Search Text.  Any API?
                Level 1
                First of all, I need Java API. This is a Java Servlet which need to search PDF file and get the location (x, y, w and h) of the string. The target is to get the location information and construct a XDFX file that has the URL link to that string and import the link file into PDF file.

I am surprised that LiveCycle do not have API for searching text string or contruct a link based on text string on a page instead of based on rect location for now, that force the application have to get the location of the string otherwise cannot contrct XDFX link file.

• 5. Search Text. Any API?
                  (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                  Adobe do provide (free) a PDF text extraction component in the form of
                  an iFilter. This has a COM interface, documented by Microsoft. I'm not
                  aware of any other server side text extraction components. I suppose
                  the PDF Library itself could be used, but that has a C interface.

Aandi Inston