12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2008 3:22 PM by eholz1

How to change alpha of overlapping section of Movieclips

eholz1 Level 1
      Hello Forum,

I am working with Flash CS3, and using Action script 2.0.
      I use attachMovie to add 5 clips on the stage each in a different layer (can I have two mcs on one layer?). Three of these clips are filled circles. One large yellow circle is on layer 1 (depth 1), a smaller circle (blue) is added on layer 2, and then a different instance of the blue circle is added on layer 3. I then tween the two blue clips in toward the big yellow circle, one on the left side, and one on the right side. Each blue circle partially overlaps the yellow circle. I would like to change the alpha of each blue circle where it overlaps the yellow circle. Just the overlapping sector, not the whole circle. This is like a venn diagram. I have looked at the blendMode, but this seems to have no effect at all. I think it is due to the fact that I tween the clips and am using attachMovie in AS2 on an actions layer. If I just drag two clips on the stage, and set the blendMode of the top clip, I see an effect, but it changes the entire clip, not just the overlapping part. I suspect this is due to the fact that I have a white background on the stage. Is there a way I can set the alpha just where the clips overlap? Maybe using some sort of mask layer?

I have looked around for a solution on the internet, and have not quite found what I am looking for. This is for AS2, not AS3.

Thanks,
      eholz1