7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2008 6:05 AM by (Eric_Crone)

Problem with JBoss and Servlets

Level 1
      I have 2 questions that are related. I'd appreciate it if anyone can address either or both questions...

(1) We installed the turnkey LiveCycle ES on a windows box with JBoss. Ih ave built a servlet that will invoke a renderPDF orchestration and show a PDF. I followed the sample given at: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/livecycle/articles/java_servlets.html
      When deploying and attempting to test on the LC ES server, I am getting 404 errors. I decided to see if JBoss was up and running normally and I went to http://localhost:8080/ and see a JBoss page with JBoss Onlien REsources links at the top and JBoss Management links at the bottom. The links go to Tomcat Status, JMX Console and JBoss Web Console. All 3 links at the bottom return 404 error messages. Workspace works just fine on this machine. Web Service calls also work fine. What could be wrong?

(2) I decided that since the app server on the LC ES server was malfunctioning, I would install TomCat on my desktop and then just run the servlet with remote calls to the livecycle server. I am getting error messages in the logs "stdout_20080919.log" saying that I have a java.lang.IllegalStateException. I set up the connection properties to include the full server name, not just localhost, so it looked like: jnp://servername:1099.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
        • 1. Re: Problem with JBoss and Servlets
          Jasmin Charbonneau Level 4
          I think your appserver is fine in (1). You'll get a 404 error for the JMX Console and possibly the other links (under :8080/) because we've removed those modules for security reasons.

Now to make sure the service is running fine can you try to hit the wsdl. The url is typically http://localhost:8080/soap/services/NameOfService?wsdl.

Now are you packaging your servlet in a war file? The typical URL would be http://localhost:8080/NameOfWar/NameofClass.

My guess is the project is not packaged properly.

Jasmin
          • 2. Re: Problem with JBoss and Servlets
            Level 1
            Hi Jasmin,
            The WSDL works just fine. I have also started "recording" of the process in workbench but it is never invoked via the servlet. I did in fact package the servlet in a war file and used the typical URL as you describe above. I am using eclipse to build and package the servlet. Should I post the log results or my java code?
            • 3. Re: Problem with JBoss and Servlets
              Level 1
              UPDATE
              I changed the package and made sure the libraries were included. I still can't get it to work on my desktop, but I redeployed to the LC ES server and it definitely invoked the process. I see it in the playback. And I can see the output PDF document during the playback. Unfortunately, in the browser, I don't see anything but a blank screen. No PDF.

Thoughts?
              • 4. Re: Problem with JBoss and Servlets
                Level 1
                CODE BELOW:

import java.io.IOException;
                import java.io.InputStream;
                import java.util.HashMap;
                import java.util.Map;
                import java.util.Properties;

import javax.servlet.ServletException;
                import javax.servlet.ServletOutputStream;
                import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest;
                import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;

import com.adobe.idp.Document;
                import com.adobe.idp.dsc.clientsdk.ServiceClientFactory;
                import com.adobe.idp.dsc.clientsdk.ServiceClient;
                import com.adobe.idp.dsc.clientsdk.ServiceClientFactoryProperties;
                import com.adobe.idp.dsc.InvocationRequest;
                import com.adobe.idp.dsc.InvocationResponse;
                import com.adobe.livecycle.formsservice.client.FormsResult;

/**
                * servlet implementation class for Servlet: TestGetForm2
                */
                public class testGetForm2 extends javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet implements javax.servlet.Servlet {
                static final long serialVersionUID = 1L;

public testGetForm2() {
                super();
                }

/* (non-Java-doc)
                * @see javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet#HttpServlet()
                */

/* Just calls the doPost method. EJC 09/18/08
                * @see javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet#doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
                */
                protected void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException
                {
                doPost(request,response);
                }

/* (non-Java-doc)
                * @see javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet#doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
                */
                protected void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException {
                try{
                String lanIDConst = "XXXXXX";
                Properties connectionProps = new Properties();
                connectionProps.setProperty(ServiceClientFactoryProperties.DSC_DEFAULT_EJB_ENDPOINT,"jnp:/ /servername:1099");
                connectionProps.setProperty(ServiceClientFactoryProperties.DSC_TRANSPORT_PROTOCOL,ServiceC lientFactoryProperties.DSC_EJB_PROTOCOL);
                connectionProps.setProperty(ServiceClientFactoryProperties.DSC_SERVER_TYPE, "JBoss");
                connectionProps.setProperty(ServiceClientFactoryProperties.DSC_CREDENTIAL_USERNAME, "xxxxxxx");
                connectionProps.setProperty(ServiceClientFactoryProperties.DSC_CREDENTIAL_PASSWORD, "xxxxxxx");

//Create a ServiceClientFactory object
                ServiceClientFactory myFactory = ServiceClientFactory.createInstance(connectionProps);

//Create a ServiceClient object
                ServiceClient myServiceClient = myFactory.getServiceClient();

//Create a MAP object to store the parameter value
                Map params = new HashMap();

//Populate the Map object with a parameter value
                //required to invoke the TestServlet process
                params.put("lanID", lanIDConst);

//Create an Invocation request object
                //the last argument is set to true because this is a short-lived process
                InvocationRequest esRequest = myFactory.createInvocationRequest("TestServletRenderPDF", "invoke", params, true);

//Send the invocation request to the process and get back an invocation response object
                InvocationResponse esResponse = myServiceClient.invoke(esRequest);
                FormsResult formOut = (FormsResult)esResponse.getOutputParameter("outFormDoc");

//Create a document object that stores form data
                Document myData = formOut.getOutputContent();

//Get the content type of the response and set the HttpServletResponse objects content type
                String contentType = myData.getContentType();
                response.setContentType(contentType);

//Create a ServletOutputStream object
                ServletOutputStream oOutput = response.getOutputStream();

//Create an InputStream object
                InputStream inputStream = myData.getInputStream();

//Get the size of the InputStream object
                int size = inputStream.available();

//Create and populate a byte array
                byte[] data = new byte[size];
                inputStream.read(data);

//Write the data stream to the web browser
                oOutput.write(data);
                }catch (Exception e){
                e.printStackTrace();
                }
                }
                }
                • 5. Re: Problem with JBoss and Servlets
                  Jasmin Charbonneau Level 4
                  What's the value of the "size" and "contentType" variable in your code?

Jasmin
                  • 6. Re: Problem with JBoss and Servlets
                    Level 1
                    Hi Jasmin, thanks for your reply. I'm getting closer to a solution.

It's choking on the line FormsResult formOut = (FormsResult)esResponse.getOutputParameter("outFormDoc");

I double checked my process and the output variable "outFormDoc" is not set to variable type "FormsResult". It was set to "Document". When I change the variable type to "FormsResult", it crashes in the process in the Render Form (renderPDFForm) activity when I assign the outFormDoc variable. It says "invalid location: /process_data/@outFormDoc cannot be stored for action instance -1"

My settings for the renderPDFForm activity are:
                    Input:
                    Form to Render -literal value = "/POC/getHRInfo.xdp"
                    Form Data = blank (no data to merge)
                    Stand Alone Rendition = True
                    Form Model = Client
                    Application WEb Root = Blank
                    Target URL = Blank
                    Content URI = repository://
                    Base URL = Blank
                    Output:
                    Forms Result = /process_data/@outFormDoc where outFormDoc is of type FormsResult

Thanks for your help!
                    • 7. Re: Problem with JBoss and Servlets
                      Level 1
                      IT'S WORKING

I changed the output Forms Result to a "variable" instead of "XPath expression" and it works just fine now.
                      Thanks for your help Jasmin!