6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2008 8:49 PM by ArchTools

Advancing from GL to DW in CS3 or CS4

ArchTools
      Hello:

I've been using GoLive for many years and am now ready to switch to Dreamweaver.

I'm not a codemonkey. I can copy and paste code and have a very basic understanding of tags and structure. I am no webmaster. I just work on my own website and most of it is pretty simple. That said, these are areas I need to focus on: 1) Video on my sites. 2) A small web store. 3) Ultimately a learning management system, though this is something I'll also be hiring someone to help with.

All else being equal, my instinct is to hold off on purchasing CS4 for a few months and learn DW CS3 and later make the switch to DWCS4 when bugs have been squashed and more money is coming in. It's really a question of how to attack the migration learning curve from GL to DW.

I guess you'd have to have some familiarity with all three to give advice on how to best take on the learning curve and process of migrating.

Thanks!

David
        • 1. Re: Advancing from GL to DW in CS3 or CS4
          Level 7
          > All else being equal, my instinct is to hold off on purchasing CS4 for a
          > few
          > months and learn DW CS3 and later make the switch to DWCS4 when bugs have
          > been
          > squashed and more money is coming in.

Do you already own CS3?

or are you debating about upgrading from GL to either CS3 or CS4? If so,
          start with CS4.

--
          Regards

John Waller

• 2. Re: Advancing from GL to DW in CS3 or CS4
            Level 7
            You are safe getting CS4 now. No show-stopper issues have been discovered
            as far as I know.

> I'm not a codemonkey. I can copy and paste code and have a very basic
            > understanding of tags and structure.

The more you can do to inform yourself about HTML and CSS, the easier your
            transition will be. DW expects you to bring this knowledge to the table.
            GL did not.

--
            Murray --- ICQ 71997575
            Adobe Community Expert
            (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
            ==================
            http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
            ==================

"ArchTools" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:gf59ck$dsq$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > Hello:
            >
            > I've been using GoLive for many years and am now ready to switch to
            > Dreamweaver.
            >
            > I'm not a codemonkey. I can copy and paste code and have a very basic
            > understanding of tags and structure. I am no webmaster. I just work on my
            > own
            > website and most of it is pretty simple. That said, these are areas I need
            > to
            > focus on: 1) Video on my sites. 2) A small web store. 3) Ultimately a
            > learning
            > management system, though this is something I'll also be hiring someone to
            > help
            > with.
            >
            > All else being equal, my instinct is to hold off on purchasing CS4 for a
            > few
            > months and learn DW CS3 and later make the switch to DWCS4 when bugs have
            > been
            > squashed and more money is coming in. It's really a question of how to
            > attack
            > the migration learning curve from GL to DW.
            >
            > I guess you'd have to have some familiarity with all three to give advice
            > on
            > how to best take on the learning curve and process of migrating.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > David
            >

• 3. Re: Advancing from GL to DW in CS3 or CS4
              ArchTools Level 1
              My plan is to learn DW CS3 which I own and updating to DW CS4 later. SO, my question restated: Is there any compelling reason to NOT start with DW CS3, go through its learning curve and later migrate up to CS4 and instead make the leap into DWCS4 now.

It's also a question of spending $600 when business is slow as well as wanting the other tools that I do rely upon to have their bugs worked out as well (ie ID and PS).
              • 4. Re: Advancing from GL to DW in CS3 or CS4
                Level 7
                > My plan is to learn DW CS3 which I own and updating to DW CS4 later. SO,
                > my
                > question restated: Is there any compelling reason to NOT start with DW
                > CS3, go
                > through its learning curve and later migrate up to CS4 and instead make
                > the
                > leap into DWCS4 now.

In that case, learning CS3 now will be fine.

There's nothing in CS4 that means you have to unlearn anything you learn
                using CS3.

--
                Regards

John Waller

• 5. Re: Advancing from GL to DW in CS3 or CS4
                  Level 1
                  @ArchTools --

If I may chime in and make a quick few comment...

I agreed with Murray's comment about knowing and understand HTML and CSS firsthand. The more you have deep understanding and knowledge, including skills by having both of your hands dirty under the hood of HTML/CSS.

It doesn't matter which HTML editing application you are working with, you *still* need to know HTML/CSS no matter what. There are lot of factors and reasons on why you need to know... I am not going on with list of reasons. For one, common problem is with browser's behavior problem. With HTML/CSS, you'd be able to troubleshoot when something gone a little funny behavior on IE browser, and it looks fine on Moz browser or Safari.

As for CS3 or CS4, it doesn't matter. It is important that you understand functionality of HTML and CSS. Once you have comfort zone, the more comfortable you eventually be felt with upcoming versions including current CS4 and future release of newer Creative Suite version x... so on.

Good luck!