5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 14, 2007 11:29 AM by (Srilatha_Potluri)

Error...Spawn of Agent may have failed..

Hi,

I have some issues when a barcode label template file found to be good while testing from Output Designer using Test presentment options. But after compiled the same file not getting printerd properly using Output Server.

Issues:
      1. label is printed 3 times with skipping of empty labels from the printer.
      2. Variables are not properly matched.

Please find attached the error file.
      [313]*** Spawn of agent may have failed ***
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [306]Processing file 'SERIAL_NUMBER.dat', '^job PRU -z"*"'.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge" "PRU.mdf" "D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Server\Data\SERIAL_NUMBER.dat" -l -apr"" -all"D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Server\jfserver.log" -asl1 -amq0 -ams"D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Server\Mst\PRU-PR.mst" -m1T -z"Zebra S4M PRU" -aii"D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Server\jfmerge.ini"'.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [125]* Processing data file: 'D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Server\Data\SERIAL_NUMBER.dat'.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [289]MDF file `d:\program files\adobe\central\server\data\Serial-Number.mdf' opened.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [166]Data exceeds field 'header_print_date'. Spillage may be discarded.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [166]Data exceeds field 'sfc_header_sfc_number'. Spillage may be discarded.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [166]Data exceeds field 'sfc_header_sfc_number'. Spillage may be discarded.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [179]Possible variable substitution ignored. Variable '1' not found.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [166]Data exceeds field 'header_print_date'. Spillage may be discarded.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [179]Possible variable substitution ignored. Variable '4' not found.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [179]Possible variable substitution ignored. Variable 'RU' not found.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [179]Possible variable substitution ignored. Variable 'A' not found.
      ...D:\Program Files\Adobe\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [314]Agent exit message: [313]*** Spawn of agent may have failed ***

Thanks,
      Kanna.
        • 1. Re: Error...Spawn of Agent may have failed..
          Level 1
          I don't know just how much help I can be but I'll try to explain what I see from the log file.

b Data exceeds field 'xxxxxxx'. Spillage may be discarded.
          This is fairly self explanatory. The number of characters of data for the indicated field is more than will fit in the defined area for the field. Unfortunately, I've seen this when I could count the characters and it was no where too much for the defined area. It doesn't occur very often for us so I just ignore it. We also use the
          b Reformat=Trunc
          parameter in the
          b [Field]
          section of the
          b jfmerge.ini
          file to force truncation of data.

b Possible variable substitution ignored. Variable 'X' not found.
          In all likelihood there is an
          b @
          symbol in the data - such as Name@company.com or @1. JFMERGE uses the @ symbol to define variables. If an actual variable is not found then it just passes the @ symbol to the printed output.

b Agent exit message: [313]*** Spawn of agent may have failed ***
          This usually occurs when an agent terminates abnormally for some reason. I usually get it for one of our custom agents that get "hung" for some reason and I have to use the Task Manager to terminate it. I have no idea why JFMERGE might result in this error.

I don't know the specific cause for your two issues but they might be associated with the errors or how the data does or does not match up with the field definitions of the form. We almost exclusively use ^GLOBAL variables so we don't have the field order concerns that can arise when using ^FIELD definitions.
          • 2. Re: Error...Spawn of Agent may have failed..
            Level 1
            Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. Actually i have found out the issue. Basically my data (.dat) file has 14 fields and in the template i am using only two of the fields. Because i have not control over the generation of data file. So Outputserver tries to match print all the fields from the data files, messing up in error

So i then changed DiscardUnknownFields=Yes under the FIELD section of jfmerge.ini file. By default it is No.

Now its printing witout any errors.

Thank You..

Kanna.
            • 3. Re: Error...Spawn of Agent may have failed..
              Hi ,

Iam having the same error as"spawm agent may be failed".
              Could you please let b know the problem behind that???
              • 4. Re: Error...Spawn of Agent may have failed..
                Level 1
                The "spawn of agent...." error is somewhat generic and doesn't tell much about the problem except that it had a problem. You need to look at other info in the log file to get to the bottom of it. If you like, send me your log file and I will happily have a look.

chris.hicks@adobe.com
                • 5. Re: Error...Spawn of Agent may have failed..
                  Level 1
                  Hi Chris,

Thankyou for ur help,I got it.........