1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 27, 2004 11:04 AM by (Tom_Warfield)

Executing a VB.EXE

Hi there,

I need to execute a VB.EXE application. What should be the Job, Task Job Management database entries and Job Command entries in XML file?

Thanks,
      Reddv
        • 1. Re: Executing a VB.EXE
          Level 1
          I assume you are planning on running your own "custom agent" to do some task. We have several that run as part of our normal jobs as well as ones for the JFSTARTUP, JFSHUTDN, JFERROR tasks.

There are no special ^job command entries associated with custom agents. You just need to include whatever the job requires. The following is a sample from one of our jobs.

>^job PF -zSEMS-DP65 -aspDP65PCL -ajiFG0018 -apfon -afxon -aapon -apg3/999 /filPF_0016_20041020_082514 /fotFalse /farTrue /fupTrue /HT=DEV

The parameters that start with a dash are common agent options and are needed for the system agents and/or our custom agents. Those starting with a slash are necessary for our custom agents. We chose to use the slash instead of the dash to eliminate any possibility of duplicating with a system option.

There are also no special task options for a custom agent; just those the agent requires. The following is a sample from one of our custom agents.

>"@InFile." "@OutFile." -aii@IniFileName -all@LogFileName -aji@JobID -asn@ServerName @OtherJobTokens /UP

All of our tasks read a file in and produce an output file for the next step; that is why we use the @InFile & @OutFile parameters. That allows our agents to modify the file for the following steps. The same dash and slash standard is used here as we use on the ^job command.

The important part is to set up entries within the JFSERVER.INI file for the custom agents. To make everything uniform, we include entries in the [processes] section for all of our custom agents and various control files. When you put new entries in this section they show up on the Configure Central and Agents... list. The following are some sample entries from our file.

>HostUpdate=HostUpdate: Send data to SEMS Mainframe

>Printer-HQ=HQ printers

>Email=EmailAddress.ini: Email addresses for error notification

The part before the equal sign is used as a pointer to a like-named section elsewhere in the file. The part after the equal sign is what shows up in the Configuration list. The following are the sections that correspond to the three samples above.

>[HostUpdate]

>ExePath=C:\JetForm\Central\Bin

>IniFileName=C:\JetForm\Central\Server\HostUpdate.ini

>LogFileName=C:\JetForm\Central\Server\jfserver.log

>EditCfgRtn=C:\JetForm\Central\Bin\HostUpdate.exe

>[Printer-HQ]

>IniFileName=C:\FormsGen\INI Files\HQ Printers.ini

>EditCfgRtn=notepad %s

>[Email]

>IniFileName=C:\JetForm\Central\Server\EmailAddress.ini

>EditCfgRtn=notepad %s

The "ExePath" parameter tells Central where to find the .EXE. The IniFileName parameters tells Central where to find the .INI file for configuring and for putting on the task statement for the -aii option. The LogFileName is for the program's log file and the -all option. The EditCfgRtn tells Central what program to execute for editting the .ini file. In my samples we use notepad and the %s parameters gets replaced by the value of the IniFileName parameter. If your agent has its own user interface you would use the appropriate values here.

I haven't shown it here but I even include entries in the JFSERVER.INI file for JFSERVER.INI and JFMERGE.INI. It is just for uniformity. I can use Central's configuration capability for any of our files.

I hope this helps.