8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 12:02 PM by (Tom_Warfield)

Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output

Hi

We have been using Central 5.5 has been in use 3+ yrs with 80+ designs producing output to Printer & PDF. Generally speaking things are OK. Recently we have encountered a problem whereby Central appears to be hanging and it has been when processing a .dat to produce a PDF. the problem does not always occur so its hard to pinpoint the problem.

I have reported the problem to Adobe VAR & Adobe for their support, meanwhile I would appreciate if any forum users could advise as to possible causes of the problems we are encountering.

the following is the problem description - probably best to start at bottom of this posting and work up thru the mails

thanks in advance

George
      george@peritussolutions.com
      =================================

18/11/2008
      User site are encountering an intermittent problem on the JF Server, first occurred 29/10 and then occurred yesterday and today
      They tell me it seems to be specific to one particular IFD/Design when its used to create a PDF output file. It does not fail each time that the IFD/Design is used.

Typically when they get errors with .dat .IFD mismatches etc. a file would be created in /error/ and the next file in /data/ would be processed, but in this instance the JF Server is freezing intermittently - when processing particular files - no files created/posted to the /error/ directory

User site identify the problem file by filename of lowest sequence no. / date-time stamp - they then remove the file from the /data directory and then stop and start the JF service to get going again. When they put the offending .dat back in /data then it fails again, however if they copy the file creating copy_of_filename.dat and put copy_of_filename.dat in /data then the copied file processes ok !!!

could there be something funny about the original file, some sort of byte corruption that is resolved when the file is copied/saved again.
      have you ever experienced anything like this ?

User site get an error message on the JF server when the problem file causes the hang/stuck service - its the most immediate e-mail below - there is a complete snail on this problem staring at the bottom of this mail working back up.

Do Adobe have any information regarding problems that could cause the JF Server to hang/freeze.
      Have you any thoughts/suggestions - could you forward this problem to Adobe

Additionally, could any problem arise if McAfee Anti-Virus On-Access scan is turned "ON" on the JF Server, could there be any conflict of McAffee and JF both accessing a file at same time.

Rgds

George
      -----Original Message-----
      Subject: FW: HostMon Test Failure !!!

Importance: High

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 18 November 2008 12:50

Subject: HostMon Test Failure !!!

Importance: High

Message from HostMonitor (host changed status)

Test : Application Log - Error on SRV-JET

Method: check NT Event Log

Date : 18/11/2008 12:49:50

Reply : Faulting application jfmerge.exe, version 5.5.0.308, faulting

module jfmerge.exe, version 5.5.0.308, fault address 0x000a2960.

Recurrences : 1

Last status: Ok

Total tests: 32822

Alive ratio : 99.86 %

Dead ratio: 0.13 %

Folder: Event Log Errors

***Disclaimer***

in your original mail when problem 1st occurred, the problem file was the creation of a PDF, in this latest problem is the problem file also the creation of a PDF?
      Jean yes it is pdf related

the problems seems to be occurring in TEST account when users are creating PDFs - could PDF of same name be already present, created earlier by the LIVE account processing.

Jean no its not the case if a pdf with the same name is already present it will be overwritten with the latest file (I had already tested this)

Your Scenarios in the original e-mail, generally

Scenario 1, 2, 4 :- you amended/copied the file to re-direct the output to the printer and it worked OK

Scenario 3:- you amended the file to cha
        • 1. Re: Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output
          Level 1
          I don't have a solution or anything to try but I can tell you that we have definate problems with McAfee On Access protection. We have a custom agent that creates a record on a SQL database that works just fine as long as McAfee isn't running. If McAfee is running then the agent will very often freeze - more often than not. We haven't experienced this problem related to creating PDF files.
          • 2. Re: Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output
            Level 1
            Tom

thanks for your reply - I dont DO Jetfrom -
            I am provider/developer of the appliction to end-user organisation. Our applicateion creates the .dat files which merges with users JF Designs. The end-user organisation is developer of the of the JF Desings and I am trying to assist them identify the cause of the problems.

On Central Server 5.5 what log files are present, are these the only log files present or are there other files that should be analysed when problems occur:-
            JFserver.log
            Pipemgr.log
            JFserver.bak

What exactly is pipemgr.log, it contains the following data:-
            8:52:40 AM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            8:54:18 AM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            4:35:24 PM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            2:39:22 PM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            2:41:32 PM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            2:49:21 PM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            11:44:31 AM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            5:01:51 PM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            11:58:41 AM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            1:32:42 PM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            11:15:43 AM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            9:55:37 AM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'
            9:56:05 AM PipeMgr-> File extension changed from 'da?' to 'dat'

thanks again for you assistance

Rgds

George
            • 3. Re: Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output
              Level 1
              Sorry, but I have no idea what PipeMgr is. I've read of it in relation to Central & "pipes" being a method to get files to Central but that is the extent of my knowledge.

"JFServer.log" is the default system log file that all of Central's agents write log entries to. The detail of the information is controlled by the "verbosity" setting of the various agents - from "debug" or "trace" mode (very detailed) to very skimpy information. In fact, the "verbosity" level of the individual messages can be modified by changing the appropriate .INI files.
              • 4. Re: Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output
                Level 1
                Is this still a problem? If so, read on.

Is the file causing the problem a large file? If so then there could be an issue with moving the data file into the watched folder from your application. If it takes a 'while' to transfer the file then Central could pick it up before the complete file has been transferred.

I notice that when you make a copy of the errant file and drop it into the watched folder then it works. So it's not the file size causing the problem.

Using Named Pipes may solve your problem. I would refer you to the Central documentation. Specifically the "working with Central" document, which has a section on "Pipes, named".
                • 5. Re: Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output
                  Level 1
                  I have seen a sporadic "hang" caused by a bad OnBOF event. The event asks for a subform that is too big for the reserve clause and you go into a loop. This is easy to diagnose because if you set your verbosity to -10 you will see the log file grow like crazy. This type of a hang can be sporadic because it's the data file that will determine the subform flow.

if you bump your verbosity to -v-10 -n0 you might get some useful info in the log file. I doubt that the fact that it's pdf has any bearing.
                  • 6. Re: Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output
                    Level 1
                    Hi guys

thanks for all of the replies

The JF-Developer tells me it has been resolved and all they have done is recompile the design "without any changes" and that this has resolved the problem. It seems to be a strange one !!!

The problem did also happen approx 1 month before this latest occurrence, so fingers crossed the recompile has fixed it. Are there any funnies in JF that can result in different results/output when the compile executes. Another problem sometimes encountered on large/complex design is that compile could fail a no. of times and they might end up copying the design to another PC where the compile could be successful, again a strange one !!!

They are using Vers 5.5 of Designer & Central and will hopefully upgrade to Ver 5.6 in Q1 next year which might help address the compile problem above.

Rgds

George Macken
                    • 7. Re: Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output
                      Level 1
                      Hi

This problem has been experienced again, although this times its with a different Design/Form, still using version 5.5

The "business application" creates the dat files using a unique sequential filename and then copies the files to the JF-data directory. While JFserver processing a dat to produce a PDF the following error occurred on the server.

===================================================
                      Message from HostMonitor (host changed status)

Test : Application Log - JFMERGE Error on PRTSRV-JET
                      Method: check NT Event Log
                      Date : 13/01/2009 14:59:28
                      Reply : Faulting application jfmerge.exe, version 5.5.0.308, faulting module jfmerge.exe, version 5.5.0.308, fault address 0x000a2960.

Recurrences : 1
                      Last status: Ok
                      Total tests: 13939
                      Alive ratio : 99.91 %
                      Dead ratio: 0.09 %

Folder: Event Logs
                      ===================================================

From a user perspective, when they look in the JF-data directory there could be one or a no. of files present. It would be the earliest of these files that is causing the problem, that JF is failing to process/merge the earliest of the dat files, and the server throws an error.
                      FL299127.dat

from the JFServer.log
                      2009/01/13 14:55:56 C:\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [305]Scanning for data files, directory 'C:\Central\Server\Data\'.
                      2009/01/13 14:55:56 C:\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [306]Processing file 'FL299127.dat', '^job MVL31JP03 -afxon -asppdf2 -z"\\prtsrv-jet\PDF\MSV000207332601.pdf"'.
                      2009/01/13 14:55:56 C:\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"C:\Central\Bin\jfmerge" "MVL31JP03" "C:\Central\Server\Data\FL299127.dat" -l -apr"" -all"C:\Central\Server\jfserver.log" -asl1 -amq0 -ams"" -m -z"\\prtsrv-jet\PDF\MSV000207332601.pdf" -afxon -asppdf2 -aii"C:\Central\Server\jfmerge.ini"'.
                      2009/01/13 14:55:56 C:\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [125]* Processing data file: 'C:\Central\Server\Data\FL299127.dat'.
                      2009/01/13 14:55:56 C:\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [289]MDF file `c:\central\server\forms\MVL31JP03.mdf' opened.
                      2009/01/13 14:55:56 C:\Central\Bin\jfmerge: [130]Downloading font 'Arial MT (W1)':
                      2009/01/13 14:55:58 C:\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [314]Agent exit message: [313]*** Spawn of agent may have failed ***
                      2009/01/13 14:55:58 C:\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [373]Unable to rename file 'C:\Central\Server\Data\FL299127.dat' to 'C:\Central\Server\Error\FL299127.dat'.
                      2009/01/13 14:55:58 C:\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [309]Shutting down client agents.
                      2009/01/13 14:55:58 C:\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [312]Warning: skipping disabled task JfShutDn.
                      2009/01/13 14:55:58 C:\Central\Bin\jfserver.exe: [310]Exit.

When the "problematic" dat file is removed from the data directory the other files process OK.
                      There are approx 100 different Designs/forms being produced and these could be either printer or PDF outputs. Remote users of the application receive PDF outputs.

The Design/MDF file in question has not changed in recent months.
                      The Design/Form where the problem occurs would be used a no. of times every day, on same day both ealier and later documents produced OK for the same form. This would therefore indicate that the cause of the problem is specific to the .dat file, that the file is either corrupted or that some value in the .dat is causing the problem.

Each dat file for PDF generates a new unique PDF filename to be created, to ensure destination-output pdf filename does not already exist on the jfserver.

The problematic dat file was copied to another machine and the following scenarios tested:-
                      1) one of the data field values was changed, the file saved and then re-submitted to the JFserver, the problem still occurred.
                      2) amended the job line to just change the destination pdf filename, the file then re-submitted to the JFserver and the problem did not occur, PDF produced OK.
                      3) without changing the destination pdf filename, amended the job line to include the logging commands -v-10 -n0 , the file then re-submitted to the JFserver and the problem did not occur, PDF produced OK.

This seems to indicate that by making a change to the JOB line and saving the file and resubmitting that it works OK.

System is printing hundreds and sometimes thousands of documents per day and this problem occurs only occasionally, all very strange.

I have been reluctant to turn on the logging commands -v-10 -n0 fulltime for all the forms as I rekon this may result in an overhead on the JFserver while may affect the production time of documents and have a negative impact on users if print production time is noticably slower.

I also have available the log file produced with the increased verbosity, but this is from a successful production of the pdf.
                      (I can make this available - e-mail me on george@peritussolutions.com).

Any suggestions on cause/identification of this problem appreciated

thanks

George
                      • 8. Re: Central 5.5 hanging/stuck while producing PDF output
                        Level 1
                        I don't know the cause or solution to your problem but I do know the following...

"Spawn of agent may have failed" occurs whenever the agent terminates abnormally. I don't think I've ever seen it for JFMERGE but I certainly have for our custom agents.

I see the "Unable to rename file" message on occasion. It occurs when it can't "move" the file to the backup folder. I do not know why it occurs.

The "Shutting down" action occurs when Central considers the error to be serious enough that it figures it should not continue. In this case I have to agree with it because the DAT file is still in the processing folder and it would get processed again.

The "skipping disabled task" occurs because the task "JfShutDn" has not been defined.