6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 28, 2005 9:49 AM by (Tom_Warfield)

Output Not Correct

Level 1
      I'm very new to Adobe Output Server and Output Designer. We have a new application which uses these, and so I am learning.

I have a form which I can open in Designer just fine. I send it to the Output Server to print thru the application and it prints.

However, the imformation is garbled. A .dat file is created for the form to use, and the .dat file seems to be correct when I view it. However, the form itself does not seem to recognize the fields in the .dat file. So, on the form, the first field in the .dat file is printed in the first form field, regardless of the field name. The second field in the .dat file is printed on the form, regardless of the field name, etc.

When I open Designer and view the form, and use the exact same .dat file as input for the Test Presentment, the form displays the fields correctly by field name.

So.. I'm wondering if somewhere on the Output Server the fields on the form and the fields in the .dat file are not lining up right. Is there a setting on the Server that needs to be changed to get this to work correctly?

As far as I can tell, it's the same for all forms. And so this is why I think the problem is on the server, not in the form itself. But since this is my 2nd week dealing with this software, and we have no training, I'm grasphing at straws.

Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Output Not Correct
          Level 1
          Ive not experienced the problem you describe in your Adobe Output Server posting of this morning and Ive been using these products for more than 3 years. I suspect it may be something about the way the form is designed. Im willing to take a look at the .ifd form file and the .dat file that uses it if you will send them to me. If I dont see anything obvious, I could then run it on my test server to see what happens.

If you were to also send the jfserver.ini & jfmerge.ini files from your server I could compare them to mine. Those are two of the files where settings are stored (main control file and the print agent control file). I dont know of any setting that causes what you describe but comparing your files to mine might trigger something to occur to me.

What version of the software are you using (Windows, something else) and, if Windows, what version number?

i (I sent personal email of the above so the requested files could be emailed back.)
          • 2. Re: Output Not Correct
            Level 1
            The server is on a Windows NT server, I do believe. I'm not sure of the version number... being just a programmer, I don't have free access to server itself and have to go through our LAN people. But I can check and see.

I'll also need to get permission to send out files, or else send a truncated version. :)

I'm wondering now, though, if it's really not server related, but more designer related. I created a brand new form in Adobe Ouput Designer and put one field on that form, and named it a corresponding name from the .dat file. Then I printed through that form.

When doing that, each field in the .dat file was fed through the form sequentially, regardless of the name of the field on either the form or in the .dat file.

Perhaps I have a setting wrong in designer, so it is not recognizing the field names properly? Maybe I need to go post in the designer forum...

Thanks for your reply.
            • 3. Re: Output Not Correct
              Level 1
              I responded to your posting in the Designer forum with what I think is the cause of your problem (you need to use the -afxon option).

I hope you have remote access to the server. There are some things that need to be done at the server or files located on the server to be looked at that are necessary. For example, the "Central Control" program runs on the server and gets you access to the log file and the "job management database". The log file will show you errors that might be occurring. The job management database is where you define printers, tasks & jobs. I suppose someone else could maintain the "database" but having access to that log file can be extremely handy. In addition, there are times that you may need to temporarily increase the "verbosity" level to get more stuff into the log file.

I may be spoiled. We have a test server with a development copy of Central Pro on it so we can do whatever we want.
              • 4. Re: Output Not Correct
                Level 1
                I have limited access to the server... through our LAN persons, who double as our DBAs. Today, the regular LAN person is off, and so I'm sitting waiting for another person to get with me, that is his backup.

He did give me read access to the server, in a limited way. I can see the data subdir where the .dat files are loaded before they print, and the backup subdir where the .dat files are stored after they are printed. That is a help. I can also see the ini configuration files, but I cannot edit them. (We say here that we sometimes work with one hand tied behind our backs.) Maybe we'll get a development server working we can play with, which would be nice.

I can see one .log file in the main subdir.. it's called jfserver.log. There are a great deal of messages in there that I do not understand. Here is a subset:

jfserver.exe: [306]Processing file '361.dat', '^job DISB_PRN_FORM -zFISOBBACK'.
                jfserver.exe: [307]Launching task '"C:\...\jfmerge" "DISB_PRN_FORM" "C:\...\Data\361.dat" -l -apr"" -all"C:\A...\jfserver.log" -asl1 -amq0 -ams"" -m -z"FISOBBACK" -aii"C:\...\jfmerge.ini"'.
                jfmerge: [125]* Processing data file: 'C:\...\Data\361.dat'.
                jfmerge: [289]MDF file `c:\...\forms\DISB_PRN_FORM.mdf' opened.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_ACTN_CD' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_S_ACTN_CD' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [166]Data exceeds field '$POSITION'. Spillage may be discarded.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_CMNT_FL' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [166]Data exceeds field 'PO_DOC_HDR__DOC_CD'. Spillage may be discarded.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_CREA_DT' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [166]Data exceeds field 'PO_DOC_HDR__DOC_DEPT_CD'. Spillage may be discarded.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_CREA_DT_FRMT' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_CREA_USID' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_FUNC_CD' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [166]Data exceeds field 'PO_DOC_HDR__DOC_PHASE_CD_DISP'. Spillage may be discarded.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_FUNC_CD_DISP' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_S_FUNC_CD' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.
                jfmerge: [108]Field 'AD_DOC_HDR__DOC_LAST_DT' not found on subform/page 'JFMAIN'.

And on and on. This is, actually, from a test i recently did. I took a different form and piped it through a .dat file that only had one corresponding field. So perhaps this is why the fields are not found.
                • 5. Re: Output Not Correct
                  Level 1
                  Perhaps the parameters on the second line are the ones I'm mostly interested in... I'll look at the documentation. I do have copies of the documentation fortunately. :)
                  • 6. Re: Output Not Correct
                    Level 1
                    Message 108 is exactly what I get from my testing:

jfmerge: [289]MDF file `c:\jetform\forms\test.mdf' opened.
                    jfmerge: [108]Field 'JF02' not found on subform/page '1'.
                    jfmerge: [108]Field 'JF03' not found on subform/page '1'.
                    jfmerge: [108]Field 'JF04' not found on subform/page '1'.
                    jfmerge: [209]One surface was printed.

This is from my test with the -afxon parameter. Message 209 had "4 surfaces" when it was missing.

Message 166 might be indicating that the length of the actual data is longer than the receiving field. It might also be bogus. I get it all the time and it is bogus so I set the print agent vebosity level to 10 so it wouldn't be getting into the log file. This also shuts off a bunch of other log entries that I normally have no interest in. Having a development system I can temporarily set the verbosity to 0 or even -10 (trace level) when I have a need to.