1 Reply Latest reply on May 26, 2005 8:13 AM by (Tom_Warfield)

Perform Shutdown and Start in a batch job

In our test environment we are often to be updating the Forms folder with new *.mdf files (replace all files with new files), and updating the Server folder with a new jfserver.jmd file (replace old file with new file). This in order to change from one environment to another (different *.mdf files and jfserver.jmd file for each environment), without running more than one instance of Central.

We want to do this in a batch job (Command Prompt). In order to do this we have to shutdown Central, copy new files and then start Central.
      Is there any way to perform a Shutdown and Start command for Central in a batch job?

(Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition and Adobe Central Output Server 5.5 Pro)

Regards
      Rune
        • 1. Re: Perform Shutdown and Start in a batch job
          Level 1
          Shutting down Central is possible but I have yet to find out how to restart it (it must be possible since the Central Control UI can do it). But for what you describe you don't have to shut it down, only pause, resume and have it reload the JMD. If you were also changing the jfserver.ini file, then you would have to shut down and restart.

All the batch process has to do is to copy a file with the appropriate command to Central's control folder. The content of the file would tell Central what to do. I do it all the time when doing similar updates.

I won't detail the contents of the files here because you can easily capture your own files (as long as Central is configured to save backup files). From Central Control use the menu to do the desired action. Then go to the backup folder and retrieve the "jfctrl00.msg" file. This would be the file that the batch process would copy to the control folder. It does contain a date and time but they don't affect anything.

Your batch process would then: send the pause file, update other files as needed, send the reload file, send the resume file. Change the number part of the file name so that one won't overlay another. It is also a good idea to have a pause between the last two steps to ensure the reload gets done before the resume but might not be necessary in a test environment.