36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2008 12:14 PM by (Raymond_Bell)

Pagemaker 6.52 won't open

I've been using Pagemaker 6.52 for years on a Mac G4 - OS9 operating system. Starting two days ago, when I double click to open Pagemaker, The Pagemaker screen comes up, then immediately shuts down, and won't allow me to open any of my Pagemaker files.

Can anybody out there give me any suggestions as to how I can get into the program and access my files again? I tried re-installing Pagemaker, but that didn't solve the problem.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
        • 1. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
          Claudio González Most Valuable Participant
          Are you by any chance using OS 9.0x? If so, update to 9.1, then 9.2 and then 9.2.2. It's free.
          • 2. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
            Level 1
            I had this problem too and looked for answers in the knowledge database here. What they said was to reinstall PageMaker. Sure enough, that did it.
            Sometimes pm get corrupted for whatever reason. I've used PageMaker on my ancient 9500 upgraded to a G3 running OS 9.1 and have only had to reinstall once.
            If that does not fix the problem, try to remember the events of the previous day. Did you install any hardware/software? Do you have antivirus software for your machine--especially if you are internet connected? If so, check for updates.
            Hope this helps.
            • 3. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
              btw, I have reinstalled Pagemaker several times to no avail.
              lisaj - ljdeerparkATaolDOTcom
              • 4. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                Level 1
                Don't know where my first post/message went?

I can not open any pagemaker files on my GS3 Mac running Panther (I think) and Classic OS 9.2. I am using Pagemaker 5.1 (5.2?)

I get this message:
                Cannot create internal clipboard (with Red HAND stop sign).
                Cannot create temporarly file. 8201:16411

I am stumped and have looked as much as I know how on these and the adobe support boards. ALso, I am on dial up so searching is cumbersome.

In fact, my internet is so slow on my Mac that I am using the family Windows PC just to search.

AL ljdeerparkATaolDOTcom
                • 5. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                  > Don't know where my first post/message went?

Just above your last one?

>my GS3 Mac running Panther (I think) and Classic OS 9.2. I am using Pagemaker 5.1 (5.2?)

Well, I think it would be easier to help you if you started by finding out what is your actual setup. Are you running PageMaker in Classic or in 9.2? By the way, if Pagemaker 6.5 is dead, I don't know what 5.x is.
                  • 6. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                    Level 4
                    If you are running Pagemaker 5.x I suggest finding a computer that can run system 7.5 or 7.6. I dug out my PM 5 disks the other day and tried to install them on my old G3 running OS 9 and the system did not even recognize my disks.

You are running software that is 14-15 years old it might as well be 14 or 15 centuries old in computer time.
                    • 7. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                      Level 1
                      Hi - I fixed it. Somehow the "automatic boot of OS 9.2" always accompanied my launch of Pagemaker 5.2 before. Somehow I disabled that (I guess?) and because OS 9.2 is now *not* automatically launched when I click on Pagemaker then OS X (Jaguar 10.8.2) is not able to launch/recognize Pagemaker.

I have been running Pgmakr 5.2 for almost 2 yrs (via the Classic OS 9 feature of OS X Panther) with no issues on my G3; before that I ran it on a few OS 8 computers.

I know I am running ancient software on an old computer. I'm just glad it usually works. There are numerous workarounds and things I do to work in the 21st century - most of them annoy me - but I persevere since the family budget doesn't include a new computer/software/printer set up anytime soon.

I appreciate the reference to ancient history, ala 600 A.D. I first bought pagemaker in 1989 and have upgraded once or twice and don't know how/if I'll buy again since this might be the "newest" computer I can run it on?

If you enjoy mac lore, you might be slightly interested to know that I am using a Personal Laserwriter IINT (certainly near 20yo) via Asante Talk to get to continue to use my vintage PS1 laserwriter along with my GS3/OS X.

Ok, I typed this, lost it by leaving the webpage and typed it again - thanks a lot.
                      AL Johnson
                      • 8. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                        Level 4
                        The latest Pagemaker which is Version 7 is still available from Adobe for $79 as an upgrade you would be doing yourself a favor to upgrade. yes it will run on your system.
                        • 9. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                          Level 1
                          Thanks, Buko. $79 is certainly doable. Do you happen to know if that price includes an upgrade from 5.X all the way to 7 (or just from 6.0 to 7)? Needless to say I don't update software very often. (Obviously I can go to the website with my ever so slow dial up and find out when I get around to it.)

And also, will my dinosaur laser printer running PostScript 1 still work with Pagemaker 7?(Seems like I looked into this a few years back and there might be printing issues with the newer (I know it is not new anymore lol) PostScript 2 language.

And my typing error above, Jaguar s/be 10.2.8 :).

Buko - thanks again!
                          ALJ
                          • 10. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                            Level 4
                            Its been so long since I've use PM I'm not really sure. but the improvements over PM 5 would be well worth it for you. get it now before they remove it completely.
                            • 11. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                              Level 1
                              When my PageMaker initial startup began that, I reinstalled the software and have not had the same problem yet.

Sometimes restarting the machine can get rid of many gremlins that plague the mac, too. so one of these solutions might just work and be no money!

It really pays to keep the most current OS and Pagemaker going. I am still using OS 9.1 and PageMaker 6.5.2 and feel good about its dependability. Tried to do 9.2.2, but my custom machine upgrade won't allow it. bummer.
                              • 12. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                Level 4
                                Sandra you need to install 9.2.1 before you install 9.2.2
                                • 13. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                  Level 1
                                  Hi,

I took your advice, Buko, (and someone else's) and I bought Pagemaker 7.0.2 to upgrade from my (Pgmkr 5.0) On my GS3 Mac running Jaguar 10.2.8 and (with Pagemaker) Classic OS 9.2.

I can't export these files (now in Pgmaker 7.0) to PDF.

I am in the middle of a huge project using Pagemaker and thought I could convert these documents to 7.0.2 (which worked fine) and then export to pdf and print. All teh documents seemed to convert just fine.)

I get the following message after I press Export to PDF
                                  (2 actually)

"The application Normalizer has unexpectedly quit
                                  InterfaceLibrary GetcomponentResource (-2624)" (THIS ONE SHOWS UP FIRST?)

ANd immediately at the same time & after the above message this screen prompt says at the same time

"Can't send PostScript file to Normalizer"

I have looked up the forum ideas on what to do but I am stuck. I am following hte book directions. The 7.0 user guide on p. 336-337 makes it look simple. The "Acrobat Distiller PPD" shows up, in the export menu, etc. (I have two fonts that say they "could not be embedded" ((Time, palatino) but that seems minor.)

The normalizer appears to be installed in the Adobe Pagemaker hard drive file. When I doubleclick on the Normalizer file (labeled as a Classic Application) in my hard drive file I get the same "The applications Normalizer has unexpectedly quit...."

Can anyone help me diagnose - there are no graphics int he file - it is pretty straightforward.

Thanks for any and all assistance ljdeerpark@aol.com
                                  Lisaj
                                  • 14. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                    Level 4
                                    Classic under Jaguar was abysmal at best. Do yourself a favor and boot your computer in OS 9 if you want to use any version of PM seriously.
                                    • 15. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                      Level 1
                                      Done, booting in OS 9. So any ideas from anyone as to how to research on this site or troubleshoot my problem are appreciated.

Or an idea as to where else I should be posting my question on exporting Pagemaker 7.0.2 files to PDFs.
                                      TIA
                                      ljdeerpark@aol.com
                                      • 16. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                        Level 4
                                        AL,

Pagemaker does not work well in OSX. why don't you want to boot OS9? don't you want it to work correctly?

Distiller the application that makes the PDFs is a Classic app. and runs best booted into OS9.

You also need a virtual printer to make postscript files. this also works best in OS 9.

Since you are using sub par OSX (Jaguar this was still a Beta in my analysis) things are not going to work as well.

The only other real solution is to upgrade to InDesign but since you have put off the upgrade you will need at least Tiger 10.4.8 to run the latest InDesign CS3 and I believe Apple has stopped selling Tiger, I have a feeling that your computer will not run Leopard. If you buy a new computer Mac Intel it will not run Pagemaker. You are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

So if you want this to work as it should your only option is to boot OS 9. You can still futz around trying to get a virtual printer to work in Jaguar under Classic along with Distiller but If you need to get work done boot OS9.

Did I mention that You should be running PM booted into OS9?
                                        • 17. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                          Level 1
                                          Buko, thanks again for your help.

Above, when I said "done", I meant yes, it is a done-deal - I am now booting in OS 9.2. (I took your advice.)

Thanks for the other tips. Last night I spent 3-4 hours looking for the "distiller" and trying to follow the pagemaker to distiller to pdf instructions that my 7.0.2 user's manual said to use.) Reinstalling, restarting, reading, etc. etc.

Per the installation disk readme files, I found out that this version of Pagemaker does not have or use or install Distiller. Instead, it uses "normalizer". Everywhere in my user's manual it says "distiller" it should say "normalizer". Grrrrrrrrr.

Ok, so I went ahead back to the distiller that was installed with my Pagemaker 5.0 and deleted that file to no avail.

Of course, repeatedly reinstalled everything.

Now the message has changed to only the "Can't send PostScript file to Normalizer".

Thanks, I can't find anything on the adobe website help and forums thast says one word about a "normalizer" or this "can't send" statement.
                                          Thanks again!
                                          Lisaj
                                          • 18. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                            Level 4
                                            >when I said "done", I meant yes, it is a done-deal - I am now booting in OS 9.2.

OK I understood it to mean you were done with OS9, sorry.

I have not used PM since 2000? and I don't even have PM7 installed right now. When I got PM 7 it came with Distiller 5 some I'm not sure I can help you. Hopefully somebody will stop by that has just done this with version 7.0.2
                                            • 19. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                              BigJohnD Level 3
                                              I know naff all about Macs, but know a bit about PM and making a PDF.

You need to create PS file and then convert it to a PDF with Distiller in two stages, rather than let the PM macro do it all for you.

See this page in Adobe's PM KB:
                                              * Error "Could not send PostScript to Normalizer" when you create PDF files (PageMaker 7.0.2 on Mac OS) .

Nadolig Llawen a gan ddumuno iechyd a hapusrwydd i chi yn 2008.
                                              Merry Christmas, and all the best for 2008.
                                              John
                                              12:17 21/12/2007 GMT
                                              • 20. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                Michael Gianino Level 4
                                                Distiller should be on the PM installer disk. You will have to run the Distiller installer separately, since it isn't installed as part of the PM installer routine. That may have lead you to think you don't have Distiller.

Once you get PM, Distiller and the Virtual Printer up and running, you set your printer to the Virtual Printer, print to a PostScript file (make sure you include fonts in the PostScript file), and distill the file into a PDF.

Distiller uses lists of settings called Job Options, so not all PDFs will be the same. You may want to save your own set of job options, and if you like, use watched folders that each have their own job options. Just drop your PostScript file into a watched folder, and if Distiller is running, it will make you a PDF with the specs you have chosen.

One thing to look out for, some fonts are copy-protected in a way that they may not be embedded into PDFs. If you are sending your PDFs out for proofing or printing, you may want to view them on a second computer that doesn't have all of your fonts to see if any of them look different before you send it off.
                                                • 21. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                  After installing OS X 10.4.11, on my Mac G5, PageMaker won't open or install. The error message claims that Microsoft Component LIbrary- GetRegQueryClassCallback can't be found. That is apparently an extension that was erased or wiped out. I can't find it anywhere even on my hard disks. I no longer have any older Mac operating systems or folders that may contain that extension. Has anyone had a similar problem that they solved? Does anyone have that extension: Microsoft Component LIbrary- GetRegQueryClassCallback? I'm willing to pay for a copy.
                                                  If I and others can no longer use PageMaker (I downloaded Version 7.0 but it wouldn't open either) does anyone know how to open or convert old PageMaker files in another program? I'm willing to buy and learn new software in order to open very valuable old PageMaker files.
                                                  Thanks, Al Katz, 99bucks@adelphia.net
                                                  • 22. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                    Level 4
                                                    >does anyone know how to open or convert old PageMaker files in another program?

Well Indesign is the logical next application.

Although I must say PM 6.5 works just fine installed from the CD in 10.4.11 I just installed it to help someone open and and convert some PM 5 files to ID

>The error message claims that Microsoft Component LIbrary- GetRegQueryClassCallback can't be found.

Do a search for Microsoft Component LIbrary in the Archives I've seen this problem before but never had it.
                                                    • 23. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                      Level 1
                                                      Ann, I've always had to reinstall PageMaker. This has only happened to me a couple of times. It seems to have stopped when I installed the upgrade (free) of OS 9.1. Adobe has it in their download page.
                                                      This solution may help you if the reinstall thing doesn't.
                                                      • 24. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                        I just purchased Pagemaker 6.5 full version to install on my MacBook Pro. (That's the version I have at work, so I have to use it at home too when I want to work at home.) I tried to install it, and I get a message that says Classic is no longer supported.

Does this mean I'm screwed? (I paid $245 just so I could work at home and now can't install it.) I do have both 6.5 & 7.0 on my PC, but my boss likes to use Mac, so I'm trying to convert. I have CS3, but I'm struggling to adjust to the new program. I just wanted 6.5 so I could get things done in a hurry when necessary.

dharmse
                                                        • 25. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
                                                          You can't run any version of PM or any other classic application on an
                                                          Intel based Mac.

Bob
                                                          • 26. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                            Michael Gianino Level 4
                                                            The $245 you spent on PM was an investment. Consider the time it will take to learn InDesign as an investment. I'm teaching myself ID by going through the help files and watching the on-line videos. Its similar enough that you won't be reinventing the wheel, and its different enough that you will wonder why you didn't switch sooner.

Since your copy of PM hasn't been registered, maybe there's a way to get your money back.
                                                            • 27. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                              (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                                                              Just a note that no version of PageMaker including 7.0 can run on an
                                                              Intel Mac.

Aandi Inston
                                                              • 28. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                Level 1
                                                                Of course, the PC version of PageMaker will run on an Intel Mac running one of the various PC emulators such as Parallels.

Dave
                                                                • 29. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                  But only if you install Windows (for which you must pay full price).
                                                                  Deborah already has a Windows box with PM 6.5 and 7.0.

Bob
                                                                  • 30. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                    Level 4
                                                                    Maybe Deborah should have done some research before buying dead software. Like reading the "Pagemaker WILL NOT WORK on the new Mactels!!!" thread, or even the "You can't use Pagemaker in OSX Leopard." thread.

If she wants to keep living in the past she can go and buy and old Mac that boots OS9 or possibly one that runs Classic. I would recommend the Boot OS9.
                                                                    • 31. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                      And maybe you should read what she said...she's just trying to remain
                                                                      compatible with someone else.

Bob
                                                                      • 32. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                        Level 4
                                                                        My last 2 sentences.
                                                                        • 33. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                                                                          Of course, PM 6.5 will run on a truly ancient Mac. I'd expect you
                                                                          could pick up one of suitable vintage for less than the cost of a new
                                                                          copy of Windows to run on a new Mac.

Aandi Inston
                                                                          • 34. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                            I keep an old iBook 300 for this; it uses almost no storage space, and I'm sure you should be able to get a working one for nearly nothing.
                                                                            • 35. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                              Level 4
                                                                              >PM 6.5 will run on a truly ancient Mac.

I think they found Macs running Pagemaker in King Tut's tomb as well as the Inca temples in Peru.
                                                                              • 36. Re: Pagemaker 6.52 won't open
                                                                                Regarding the error message when attempting to open Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 that reads "Microsoft Component Library-GetRegQueryClassCallback". This message is a red haring.
                                                                                What has occurred is that a problem has arisen in the
                                                                                extensions folder. To correct this, open up
                                                                                the extensions manager. Select the pre set extensions
                                                                                of your system that are "basic".
                                                                                Now re start the computer.
                                                                                Adobe Pagemaker will now work.
                                                                                Open up the extensions manager again.
                                                                                Make a copy of the "basic" extensions set.
                                                                                Re title it as you desire.
                                                                                Now delete the extensions set you were previously
                                                                                using.
                                                                                Some programs might require reinstalling so that their
                                                                                extnsions will be reset.
                                                                                Now go through the entire list and turn onthe
                                                                                extensions you need that are not already active.

Bear in mind that nearly all problems with MAC's
                                                                                arise out of conflicts in the extensions folder.