13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 20, 2007 4:03 PM by Buko.

PageMaker turned into a Document Only

Level 1
      Two books I've written on PageMaker 6.5 were saved into an external hard drive (a PC/Mac formatted Maxtor). When It came time to retrieve them from the hard drive PageMaker doesn't now recognize them (by double clicking or by "Open". Yet, the information IS inside the file identified as a "document" in "Get Info".

How do I get the "document" recognized by PageMaker again? (It's either that or re-type/re-organize two complete books.

In short = two books lost their PageMaker icon status and are now just simple "documents" that need to re-connect somehow to PageMaker 6.5.

Please help!!!

ardenlester
        • 1. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
          Level 4
          how big are these files?

If they are under 20 MB you can zip and email me them. I will try and open them for you.
          • 2. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
            Level 1
            Hello,

That would be wonderful! I hope you can do it - and give me a hint on what I can do should I make the same mistake and save to a PC-base external hard drive again. I'm curious why that would strip it of its connection to the PageMaker 6.5 - yet retain the info inside the "document".

I guess I need to know where to send the two files (they are about 1.5 mgs I think)

Dennis
            • 3. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
              Claudio González Most Valuable Participant
              Click on Buko's name (in blue) on message #1.
              • 4. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                Michael Gianino Level 4
                I'd try adding .p65 to the file name and doing File>Open from PM. If that doesn't work, ResEdit is a free OS9 utility that can fix the Type/Creator codes that tell the OS what program is associated with the file. You can find it with Google.
                • 5. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                  Level 1
                  Hello,

I am appreciating the help very much. Thank you! After spending a couple whole days examining and looking at alternatives I have come up with these facts.

One book is left with only the .ps (postscript) and pdf usable.

The other book has only the pdf left usable.

The questions/challenges then become this.

1. Is it possible to change a pdf (and/or) .ps back into PageMaker format?

2. Is there a way to work with and edit a pdf? (less desirable)

I will send what I have to Buko - I do realize this is a horse of a different color now than what I first thought the problem/challenge was.

Thank you so much!

Dennis
                  • 6. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                    Michael Gianino Level 4
                    >1. Is it possible to change a pdf (and/or) .ps back into PageMaker format?

You can't "change" it back, but you can extract some of the elements from a PDF or PS file to build a new PageMaker document. If you would like to do that, post back and we can give you some tips.

>2. Is there a way to work with and edit a pdf? (less desirable)

The full version of Acrobat can edit PDFs, but since I make PDFs from other programs, I've always gone back to the original program to make edits, so I don't have the Acrobat chops to advise you.
                    • 7. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                      Level 1
                      I've found a couple ways to extract from the pdf - but it is not formatted and I lose the graphics.

I think I'd be wise to find a way to fine-tune edit the pdf (I need to change some mis-spellings, etc - small stuff.

That is what I need help what program can I use.

And, how do I work with the .ps to get it so I can extract content?

(I hope I haven't complicated my original request - to retrieve my PageMaker from outer space from my .ps and pdf)

Thanks

Dennis
                      • 8. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                        Michael Gianino Level 4
                        >I've found a couple ways to extract from the pdf - but it is not formatted and I lose the graphics.

If you wanted to build a new PageMaker document and had nothing to work from but a printout, you would have to type in all of the text and format it. Extracting the text will save you the step of typing it, but you will have to format it as if you had just typed it.

>That is what I need help what program can I use.

You can use Acrobat, but not Acrobat Reader.

>And, how do I work with the .ps to get it so I can extract content?

Open in with Illustrator.
                        • 9. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                          Level 4
                          The files that Dennis sent me are not Pagemaker files.

He sent 2 PDFs and 1 postscript.

Dennis I can extract the text if you wish.
                          • 10. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                            Level 1
                            Dear Buko,

That would be great if you could. Thank you.

Are you able to send it to my home e-mail?

Thanks again,

Dennis
                            • 11. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                              Level 4
                              I will send it to the address you sent the files from.
                              • 12. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                                Level 1
                                Gentlemen,

Thank you for your help. I did find that I could change the "document" into PageMaker with adding ".p65" That worked perfectly - but, the document I had was an older version of the book I had written. The up-to-date version had disappeared totally from both hard drive and back-up drive (worm, bug, virus, termite?)

Buko transferred the info into rtf and at least I have a basis where I can cut/paste/insert graphic, edit, etc. Thank you Buko!

Michael and Buko - some of my books are at http://lulu.com "dennis hooker". If you want one or many I will send you the pdf(s) to your home e-mail as my gift for your help - just let me know! I "park" them there in finished form as I contact publishers. The Lulu system is outstanding - and free until you buy a book (no up-front fees) - and the quality of paper, cover, print is outstanding! All they require is a pdf (or .ps in some cases if you desire - their "engine" converts) Covers are uploaded separately.

I'd be glad to advise and help any way I can to anyone on this forum re Lulu.

Let me know if I can be of help
                                • 13. Re: PageMaker turned into a Document Only
                                  Level 4
                                  Glad it helped. I'll have a look at Lulu