7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2008 8:49 PM by Tony Morse

Extensions

I'm going from Mac OS9 to OSX. I need to add the extension .pmd to all the files that I have, as a group. How can I do this?
        • 1. Re: Extensions
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional
          > I'm going from Mac OS9 to OSX.

Have you read the threads on OSX and PM here? You're far better off
          keeping that old machine and leaving PM there where it belongs.

Bob
          • 2. Re: Extensions
            Level 4
            >I'm going from Mac OS9 to OSX. I need to add the extension .pmd to all the files that I have, as a group. How can I do this?

I think there is an app called Filetyper or something similar which will rename files but what version of OSX? If its Leopard there is no Classic support. If you are buying a new Intel Mac there is no Classic support.

As Bob suggests if you need/want to use Pagemaker keep the old machine to run PM.

You should also read the threads about PM in OSX.
            • 3. Re: Extensions
              Level 1
              I need to get this setup now, the machine is going to die out on me. Why wait until then? Thanks Bob & Buko for your helpful suggestions.
              • 4. Re: Extensions
                Michael Gianino Level 4
                You can probably get a new (to you) OS9 machine for a song. Try eBay or Craig's List.
                • 5. Re: Extensions
                  (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                  And bear in mind that a new machine you buy today CANNOT run
                  PageMaker.

Aandi Inston
                  • 6. Re: Extensions
                    I'm fairly happy with the InDesign/PageMaker fix. It's not exactly as you designed it but pretty darn close. That's been my fix for PageMaker on OSX other than Classic.
                    And---I did not have to change the extension name!
                    Just a suggestion.
                    Copy all your files to disks or cd to archive them for sure.
                    Soon you will come up with a solution for a new machine/software.
                    That way, when the poor old machine finally gasps its last, you have your designs. Good luck.
                    • 7. Re: Extensions
                      Tony Morse Level 1
                      FWIW there is an OSX application called R-Name that will change groups of files like oringinally reuqested.