5 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2008 4:21 AM by (Richard_Oluszak)

File won't open

We have one customer that uses PM7, we actually bought a copy a couple of years ago to accommodate him.

After I have worked on some files, he can not open them. He has been pulling them off of our FTP. He has tried both pulling the .PMD files and ZIPped versions, makes no difference.

For the record, I am running OS 10.4.11 on a Dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5.

Thanks,

Richard
        • 1. Re: File won't open
          Level 4
          Is he running in Classic or OS9?

Is his PM 7 updated?

can he open the file if you email him?
          • 2. Re: File won't open
            Michael Gianino Level 4
            When I was using PM and OS9, I'd usually check the type and creator codes with ResEdit if they had trouble opening.
            • 3. Re: File won't open
              Level 1
              OK, so a little more information.

Customer could not open anything pulled off of my FTP. I only emailed him 1 ZIP file, couldn't open it. I finally found someone else that has PM7, emailed them the file and they opened it no problem.

Customer is running Classic under 10.4.x, not sure what version of PM7.

I suggested ResEdit, it has been so long since I have worked on pre OS X I wasn't 100% sure. He apparently ran TechTool on his system, and can now open my files.

On another note, there was bad image embedded in one of the four files. I have since replaced it and things are going a little smoother.

Thanks,

Richard
              • 4. Re: File won't open
                Level 4
                >Customer is running Classic under 10.4.x,

A really bad Idea for heavy production. You should inform him he should upgrade to ID.
                If he really wants to stick with PM then he should be using it in OS9 not classic.
                • 5. Re: File won't open
                  Level 1
                  I have had MANY discussions with this customer about switching to ID. How's the old saying go? "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." He was actually using PM 6.X when he first came to us. I got him to upgrade to PM7 and he is playing around with ID. I guess if he has time, or if it is new, he will do it in ID.

Out of my hands. I sent him some more files which he opened with no problems (or at least none that made it to my ears). Hopefully he has resolved things on his end and this will be the end of it.