7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2008 4:27 PM by BigJohnD

Unable to launch viewer

When making a PDF in Pagemaker 7.0 there is an error message "Unable to launch viewer". The PDF is made with a universal icon (no association with a known program) instead of the Reader 9 icon which is on my computer. The PDF is not shown after it's made. I'm on Windows XP on a virtual machine in Parallels on an iMac OS X version 10.4.11. The viewer launches when making a PDF in Pagemaker on my other PC computer.
        • 1. Re: Unable to launch viewer
          (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
          Try opening the file with File > Open in Reader.

Aandi Inston
          • 2. Re: Unable to launch viewer
            Level 1
            Thanks for the reply. In my Pagemaker 7.0 File > Open doesn't give a choice to open in reader, it's just open.
            Marty Rosen
            • 3. Re: Unable to launch viewer
              BigJohnD Level 3
              > > In my Pagemaker 7.0 File > Open doesn't give a choice to open in reader, it's just open.

PM only opens PM files. Adobe Reader opens PDFs.

There is an option in the Distiller Preferences to open the newly created PDF in Reader which may need to be enabled.

Something like this:

Distiller creates the PDF from the PS output from PM.

Iechyd da! John
              09:56 02/09/2008 BST
              • 4. Re: Unable to launch viewer
                (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                >Thanks for the reply. In my Pagemaker 7.0 File > Open doesn't give a choice to open in reader, it's just open.

No, PageMaker doesn't open PDF files. Adobe Reader does. So start
                Reader and open the PDF.

Aandi Inston
                • 5. Re: Unable to launch viewer
                  Level 1
                  Thanks John for your reply.
                  I looked everywhere for some line that said "view PDF", only I never looked in Distiller. When I looked there, sure enough the box wasn't checked. So I checked the box and thought the problem was solved. But it still won't open the PDF.

I have an even bigger problem now, which has nothing to do with PDF's
                  I've been using the Parallels program on my iMac. It lets me work with Windows. Something went wrong and after each time I booted up Windows, in 10 minutes or so shuts down, crashes. After many exersizes of doing many different things to no avail I decided to reinstall Windows. It worked perfectly I installed the new Windows OS which created a new virtual machine and I deleted the old one. It was working fine until I discovered when I moved a file I lost control of it, access denied. I researched the problem and found I can boot in safe mode and take back control of that perticular file. This happens each time I move a file. I would like to take back control of all the files. Do you know of a way to take back administrator control so this doesn't happen?
                  • 6. Re: Unable to launch viewer
                    (Aandi_Inston) Level 1
                    > But it still won't open the PDF.

So, have you tried what we suggested? Opening it in Reader yourself?
                    >

Aandi Inston
                    • 7. Re: Unable to launch viewer
                      BigJohnD Level 3
                      As Aandi says.

I've no idea about dual-platform computers, and such issues belong with Apple or Microsoft or the developer of the boot manager, not Adobe.

Iechyd da! John
                      01:26 05/09/2008 BST