12 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2008 6:29 PM by BobLevine

OpenType font won't work in PDF created from PM 7.0.1a file

Level 1
      Per my client's request, I had to purchase a lovely new OpenType font, AJenson Pro, for a book project I'm paging using PageMaker 7.0.1a in Windows XP. First it wouldn't print on my postscript HP laser printer, but downloading an updated printer driver from the HP web site easily fixed that problem. But I have done everything I can think of and I can't get the new font to appear in a .pdf created using Acrobat Distiller 5.0.5, which came bundled with PageMaker.

The font shows up in the finished .pdf as boxes with X marks in them instead of letters! I'm not trying to use anything but standard characters (no glyphs, etc.) in the font. I've been using PageMaker and creating .pdf files in Acrobat Distiller 5.0 for years and have had no problems until I got this new font. Adobe Type Manager shows that it is installed and it looks great on the screen.

I purchased the entire AJenson Pro font family from MyFonts.com, so I have bold, bold ital, etc. Their technical support couldn't suggest anything I hadn't already tried.

I'm planning on upgrading my PageMaker to InDesign soon, but I'll need a new computer to meet the minimum system requirements so I've been putting it off. I'm afraid to even download the free 30-day trial on my older computer. Any suggestions on how to get this OpenType font to work in a .pdf created using PM 7.0.1a and Acrobat Distiller 5.0, or do I have to upgrade to InDesign right away? I need to be able to create a .pdf so I can e-mail proofs to my client and eventually to send the finished book to a commercial printer. Thanks!